Date Upload Download Upload Download
01/September/2009 0.15 MB 0.13 MB 24.52 MB 518.80 MB
Total: 0.15, 0.13, 24.52 = 518.80 mb

any answers to the sums they just do not add up

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Incorrect Peak Usage

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:11 pm

sparkles wrote:Can someone tell when 0.15, 0.13 and 18.28 = 388.69?
The last row is not a total. The columns are offpeak uploads, offpeak downloads, peak uploads and peak downloads. The last column is highlighted to show you it is the important column

sparkles

Post by sparkles » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:46 pm

thanks i thought they they added together to show the total

sorry feel really 'stoopid' now :o)

beatmag

Post by beatmag » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:52 am

has this been fixed yet?

its not even 12pm yet, the usage page its currently off peak time. however I already have peak usage for today.
its not even past 12pm yet!!!!

I have a feeling the usage meter is way off lately. i have noticed really high peak usage...

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:03 am

beatmag wrote:has this been fixed yet?
There was no error in peak usage, at least not in this thread. If you read the above post you will notice the original poster simply misinterpreted column headers
beatmag wrote:its not even 12pm yet, the usage page its currently off peak time. however I already have peak usage for today.
You should note that since the change to 2am off-peak start times, the interval from midnight to 2am from last night counts towards today's peak usage.
beatmag wrote:I have a feeling the usage meter is way off lately. i have noticed really high peak usage...
Then you should first take steps to ensure it is not a computer connected wirelessly to your router, or a computer connected on your network downloading without your knowledge. There have been times in the past where usage had been double counted, or otherwise incorrect, for some users but all of these were corrected very shortly after they were identified and to my knowledge there hasn't been any current reports of similar errors. So I would strongly suggest you check your network and usage first. If you are adamant that the usage meter is indeed in error, your best path to resolution is to email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au.

thomas261989

Post by thomas261989 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:54 pm

Have just waken up at 2pm today, found out that my on-peak usage was 2.6gb, turned my laptop off, checked it back at 4pm and my peak usage suddenly jumped up to 3.6gb. No one else was around, my housemates were all gone, the laptops were shut down (I checked them myself) and mysteriously my usage was 1gb higher. t cannot be a virus or something because obviously nothing was connected to Internet in that duration. Cannot believe this. This needs to be fixed since I don't wanna lose money on something I don't use.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:32 pm

thomas261989, your modem/router was connected. I see you use a laptop, and probably a wireless router. Before you worry about the Exetel meter, check that the wireless hasn't been compromised by a freeloader (thief if you prefer) within range. If it's not secure, either secure it now or switch the wireless part off. If this is not the case, then follow up on the meter reading.

See CoreyPlover's comment above on this.

thomas261989

Post by thomas261989 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:26 am

Hi Dazzled, my wireless router is secured by a password that I set myself, and anyone that needs to connect to my network needs to ask for the password from me. How do you check if someone has stolen your password?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:03 am

thomas261989 wrote:How do you check if someone has stolen your password?
Change it and see if the suspect usage disappears. Or, some modems have a list of connected (wired and wireless) devices somewhere in their web interface status page that you can use to identified any rogue connections.

There is one other explanation: The usage meter is not real-time. Therefore at 2pm when you checked, perhaps the usage meter was displaying your usage up to, say, 1pm (i.e. the usage from 1pm to 2pm was not yet tallied and added onto your meter). Then when you checked later, the usage meter had updated to include all usage and sub-sequentially rose by 1GB.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:55 am

thomas261989, unless you have a very long WPA pass-phrase, your wireless is easily cracked and entered. There are special-purpose Linux CDs, intended for use by system admins, that can quickly break anything less. Have a peek at this, http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack.html, and this is a legit "white hat" site!

Paranoia aside, if you use a wireless router, you should always check first what could be passing through it, when the usage meter appears to be running fast.

Old Flame

Post by Old Flame » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:43 pm

Mine does seem overly high as well. I only have 6GB allocated in peak time a month and I don't download (files) in peak time at all and my usage for 5 days is already 1.7GB which is way too much. I wonder what is going on? Normally I get to end month and I am at or just over 6GB. Not this month going by this month's trend. (I wasn't here all day yesterday so make that for 4 days)

thomas261989

Post by thomas261989 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:50 pm

Ok, I checked my usage at 2pm, turned everything off, turned my laptop back on at 4pm, the meter said I had just downloaded 1GB more.
I use Toid usage meter and it said at 2pm, my data usage was updated 15mins before, and at 4pm, it was also 15mins before. Give or take 10 or 15 mins, it still impossible that someone in my house downloaded that much.
I would change my network password today to see how it goes but in the past, I have seen Exetel usage meter jumped 1.7Gb up and jumped back down. I have read Whirlpool and other guys from QLD and NSW have the same problem. That's weird.