Excessive peak usage but offpeak time

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
blerton

Excessive peak usage but offpeak time

Post by blerton » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:16 pm

I have two services and I've noticed the following behaviour on both of them.

For today, October 6, whilst still in the offpeak period, the usage meter on the members summary page shows zero offpeak usage and excessive peak usage. I'm fully aware that midnight to 2.00am is peak usage and apart from being connected, no significant activity was initiated during that time. Both services would have had significant activity, starting around 2.30am local time (QLD). One service shows over 500MB and the other close to 600MB. I would have no problem expecting this sort of usage in the offpeak period starting at 2.00am. However zero is reported for offpeak which cannot be correct.

So is anyone else seeing a problem where today's offpeak usage seems to be being counted as peak?

Also, the current month's usage on the summary page was last updated at 09:35:54 on one service and 09:33:16 on the other. Looks like something has stopped working, seeing as it is now after 1.00pm local time (2.00pm EDT).

As a final question, can someone confirm that peak/offpeak times are local times and not daylight saving times? I'm sure I read somewhere that it was going to be local times this summer. However I noticed that the usage meter server time is DST and the usage meter on the summary page announced the change to peak usage at the correct DST time and not the correct local time.

EDIT: It is now 2 hours later (3.00pm local time) and the usage on the members summary pages for both my accounts has been fixed. The zero for offpeak has gone and has been pretty much replaced by what was formerly showing as peak usage. There is some (very much reduced) figure for peak usage, probably very much in line with my actual peak usage today. Thanks to whoever fixed this up as it was quite a concern when I first noticed the problem this morning.

I'd still like to be certain that the offpeak/peak changeover occurs at local time rather than DST - if anyone can give a definitive answer, thanks.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Excessive peak usage but offpeak time

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:55 pm

blerton wrote:For today, October 6, whilst still in the offpeak period, the usage meter on the members summary page shows zero offpeak usage and excessive peak usage. I'm fully aware that midnight to 2.00am is peak usage and apart from being connected, no significant activity was initiated during that time. Both services would have had significant activity, starting around 2.30am local time (QLD). One service shows over 500MB and the other close to 600MB. I would have no problem expecting this sort of usage in the offpeak period starting at 2.00am. However zero is reported for offpeak which cannot be correct.

Also, the current month's usage on the summary page was last updated at 09:35:54 on one service and 09:33:16 on the other. Looks like something has stopped working, seeing as it is now after 1.00pm local time (2.00pm EDT).
See http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 48#p258248. I see that you've confirmed this issue is now fixed for you
blerton wrote:As a final question, can someone confirm that peak/offpeak times are local times and not daylight saving times? I'm sure I read somewhere that it was going to be local times this summer. However I noticed that the usage meter server time is DST and the usage meter on the summary page announced the change to peak usage at the correct DST time and not the correct local time/
Interesting question. The intention is definitely to have metered usage in local times but this makes me wonder whether the daylight savings situation has complicated the issue. I am also aware of past reported issues where the sentence on the summary page that reads "currently metered as peak/off-peak" is incorrectly based on Sydney time even though the actual attribution of usage into the respective columns correctly uses local time. So it may just be a matter of checking the totals themselves instead of the worded description while the issue is being looked into.

Edit: The member facilities sentence that says "currently metered in peak/off-peak" is DST based. It must mean that the website does not cross reference this script against your service number. But the metering is actually local time based. See http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 98#p258298 for example

Shady

Post by Shady » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:00 am

This has been temporarily disabled.

Sorry about the confusion.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:23 pm

Shady wrote:This has been temporarily disabled.

Sorry about the confusion.
Has it? Or has it been re-enabled. Or has it only been disabled for non-NSW time zone users? Because I've got the "Downloads are currently being metered as peak usage" still appearing in my member facilities.