Usage Meter Issue - Usage Over-Reported

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
ManUtdFans

Usage Meter Issue - Usage Over-Reported

Post by ManUtdFans » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:32 pm

As title, are you kidding me?

I turned on my pc at 7am today and turned if off at 11:50am.
Now I checked my download usage (12:25pm), please see attached.

Can u tell me what's wrong with u?

Don't tell me there may be download from 12am - 2am, my pc was off power from mid-night.
How come my peak-download over 3GB. It should read 0 MB.
Attachments
20100820_1250.JPG
20100820_1250.JPG (16.11 KiB) Viewed 3450 times
Last edited by Gidget on Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Subject changed to be more descriptive of the issue

Klaas

Re: Exetel - are you kidding me

Post by Klaas » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Did you also turn off your modem and/or router?

Does your modem/router have wireless? If so, what do the logs say about systems that have connected in the last couple of days?

EDIT: forgot to ask - what time does it say the usage meter was updated, and what off-peak times does your plan say you have?

ManUtdFans

Post by ManUtdFans » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:35 pm

Klaas wrote:Did you also turn off your modem and/or router?

Does your modem/router have wireless? If so, what do the logs say about systems that have connected in the last couple of days?

EDIT: forgot to ask - what time does it say the usage meter was updated, and what off-peak times does your plan say you have?
- Mine one is a wired modem/router, so NO one is accessing my download wirelessly
- what logs?
- I don't remember what time it was updated. But does it matter? I first checked at 12:25pm today.
- My plan does not say anything about the off-peak period
- It says my peak-period is 12:00pm to 12:00 am
- I checked now again the peak download is 3271.15MB, that's totally ridiculous, my pc is turned off.
- I cannot exclude someone here may download 3GB over 25 minutes but my PC was turned off at 11:50 'AM'.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:13 pm

ManUtdFans wrote: - Mine one is a wired modem/router, so NO one is accessing my download wirelessly
- what logs?
- I don't remember what time it was updated. But does it matter? I first checked at 12:25pm today.
- I checked now again the peak download is 3271.15MB, that's totally ridiculous, my pc is turned off.
- I cannot exclude someone here may download 3GB over 25 minutes but my PC was turned off at 11:50 'AM'.
1. and you have only one PC connected to the modem/router?
2. the modem/router logs
3. when it was updated may be an issue if the meter is/was incorrectly logging off-peak as peak, or vice versa
4. is your timezone in AEST? Although the peak / off-peak times are supposed to be local, it is possible a hiccup has logged your times in the wrong time zone.
5. if your router is still turned on, it will be responding to traffic directed to your IP address - SPAM robots and people trying to break firewalls will send data to your IP address, this is logged against your quota, and account for the small increase in peak download
6. I'm confused - are you saying, that if your PC was turned on, someone other than you may use it to download? Again, is yours the only system connected to the router?

The only way you are going to get zero downloads recorded is to turn off your modem, so that there is no possibility of your IP address being "live" and accepting traffic.

EDIT: another reason why there is a incremental increase of 40MB in your reported download usage - if you seed torrents, other systems will be accessing your IP address to leech.

ManUtdFans

Post by ManUtdFans » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:35 pm

Klaas wrote:
ManUtdFans wrote: - Mine one is a wired modem/router, so NO one is accessing my download wirelessly
- what logs?
1. and you have only one PC connected to the modem/router?
2. the modem/router logs
3. when it was updated may be an issue if the meter is/was incorrectly logging off-peak as peak, or vice versa
4. is your timezone in AEST? Although the peak / off-peak times are supposed to be local, it is possible a hiccup has logged your times in the wrong time zone.
5. if your router is still turned on, it will be responding to traffic directed to your IP address - SPAM robots and people trying to break firewalls will send data to your IP address, this is logged against your quota, and account for the small increase in peak download
6. I'm confused - are you saying, that if your PC was turned on, someone other than you may use it to download? Again, is yours the only system connected to the router?

The only way you are going to get zero downloads recorded is to turn off your modem, so that there is no possibility of your IP address being "live" and accepting traffic.

EDIT: another reason why there is a incremental increase of 40MB in your reported download usage - if you seed torrents, other systems will be accessing your IP address to leech.
For all the things above, it should not have over 3GB to my download even if I have a seed in torrent as you said the other systems tried to access my IP, that is 3GB download in my usage meter. Remember that is 3GB just over 25 minutes? As I said I did not remember the server update time, it might be 11:xx am. Even exactly at 12:25am, I don't see any reason. In addition, even I was downloading and seeded the torrents, 3 GB is a huge download at least take 2 hours to do that.
My house has nobody after I turned off my PC.
It leads to me that Exetel has something to do with it and their techie have to do some checking.

I think I need to create a help ticket.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:38 pm

ManUtdFans wrote:I think I need to create a help ticket.
That would be my recommendation.

This is what my meter shows so far for today, with only the modem/router switched on:

Code: Select all

20/August/2010    0.15 MB    0.75 MB    0.20 MB    1.05 MB

ManUtdFans

Post by ManUtdFans » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:45 pm

And in addition, I know Exetel had shut down the usage meter this morning. When I tried this morning at about 9:10 am, in my user facility page, it said the usage meter is shutdown.
Also, look at my off-peak download, (from 7am to 11:50am), there was only 1800MB in 4 hours and 50 minutes. How come there was 3 GB download in 25 minutes (I assume the server updated at 12:25pm) for whatever reason?
I turned off my pc, no one at home, no other pc is connecting to my modem although it was still power on. Even other outside system tried to 'leech'. 3 GB is NOT possible.

Exetel usage meter is always a problem, nothing have improved.

ManUtdFans

Post by ManUtdFans » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:03 pm

Klaas wrote:
ManUtdFans wrote:I think I need to create a help ticket.
That would be my recommendation.

This is what my meter shows so far for today, with only the modem/router switched on:

Code: Select all

20/August/2010    0.15 MB    0.75 MB    0.20 MB    1.05 MB
Where can I log a help desk ticket?

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Send an email to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au - and please endeavour to be a tad more polite than you have been in this thread.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

thalamic

Post by thalamic » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:51 pm

I also have the same problem. For some reason I missed this thread earlier so I opened a seperate thread. viewtopic.php?f=303&t=36772

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:17 pm

Yes, it appears that the problem may be widespread - another customer has raised a similar issue in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=303&t=36773

The best thing to do is alert Exetel Support to the issue by emailing residentialsupport@exetel.com.au with your details, or simply leave it a day or two as this sort of problem often gets fixed, without the need for user reports, in that timeframe and so it's not worth getting hot under the collar over it :)

Gidget

PS I'll make this the main thread, and redirect other duplicate threads to it, but I might change the subject to be something a little more descriptive (and accurate)!
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Far Queue

Re: Usage Meter Issue - Usage Over-Reported

Post by Far Queue » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:43 am

Two problems here also:

1. Exaggerated usage in peak time for the 20th.
2. Off-peak downloads already being wrongly classed as peak today. I've got 500MB for the 21st in peak time despite being in off-peak until noon (12-12 on this plan).

Xander

Post by Xander » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:49 am

Woah! According to the exetel usage meter, my usage has blown out by over 5GB to put me past 100% of my peak usage! My network monitor records barely 100MB coming in though .... I'm guessing that this will be fixed soon?

djevoultion

Post by djevoultion » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:40 am

Far Queue wrote:Two problems here also:

1. Exaggerated usage in peak time for the 20th.
2. Off-peak downloads already being wrongly classed as peak today. I've got 500MB for the 21st in peak time despite being in off-peak until noon (12-12 on this plan).
I have the same problem

1. On the 20th I have 3.5GB that wrongly classed as peak usage
2. Today, I've got 1.5GB wrongly classed as peak usage- depsite starting my downloads at 12:10AM During Offpeak Period.

My Offpeak Period is (12AM - 12PM)

I have already gone 16.5GB/12GB because of the broken meter.. that's 37.5% over my peak usage.

Legend

Post by Legend » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:56 am

Gidget wrote:The best thing to do is alert Exetel Support to the issue by emailing residentialsupport@exetel.com.au with your details, or simply leave it a day or two as this sort of problem often gets fixed, without the need for user reports, in that timeframe and so it's not worth getting hot under the collar over it :)
As per Gidget's comment, it's been my experience that these things usually sort themselves out. I've seen numerous instances since the new off-peak period was introduced where off-peak downloads in the midnight-2am and 8am-midday periods are being reported as peak usage but they've sorted themselves out. I suspect the current issue is the result of the usage server upgrade that we were notified about on 17 August. I'll be holding off on opening a support ticket until Tuesday.