Usage Meter Issue - Usage Over-Reported

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Usage Meter Issue - Usage Over-Reported

Post by Gidget » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:42 pm

... and in the meantime I'll be proactive on behalf of all of you and report the issue to the developers - so you can instead spend your time more productively exercising your democratic right to vote :wink:

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

djevoultion

Post by djevoultion » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:59 pm

Gidget wrote:... and in the meantime I'll be proactive on behalf of all of you and report the issue to the developers - so you can instead spend your time more productively exercising your democratic right to vote :wink:

Gidget
Thanks for reporting the issue
djevoultion wrote:
Far Queue wrote:Two problems here also:

1. Exaggerated usage in peak time for the 20th.
2. Off-peak downloads already being wrongly classed as peak today. I've got 500MB for the 21st in peak time despite being in off-peak until noon (12-12 on this plan).
I have the same problem

1. On the 20th I have 3.5GB that wrongly classed as peak usage
2. Today, I've got 1.5GB wrongly classed as peak usage- depsite starting my downloads at 12:10AM During Offpeak Period.

My Offpeak Period is (12AM - 12PM)

I have already gone 16.5GB/12GB because of the broken meter.. that's 37.5% over my peak usage.

Update: My usage meter is now reporting 20.97 GB/12GB (Today's peak usage has gone up to 5.8GB) It seems as though the offpeak period is being metered as peak usage or something else is wrong.

ManUtdFans

Re: Exetel - are you kidding me

Post by ManUtdFans » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Legend wrote:
Gidget wrote:The best thing to do is alert Exetel Support to the issue by emailing residentialsupport@exetel.com.au with your details, or simply leave it a day or two as this sort of problem often gets fixed, without the need for user reports, in that timeframe and so it's not worth getting hot under the collar over it :)
As per Gidget's comment, it's been my experience that these things usually sort themselves out. I've seen numerous instances since the new off-peak period was introduced where off-peak downloads in the midnight-2am and 8am-midday periods are being reported as peak usage but they've sorted themselves out. I suspect the current issue is the result of the usage server upgrade that we were notified about on 17 August. I'll be holding off on opening a support ticket until Tuesday.
Although this is not the case to me:
What if someone has been wrongly recorded their peak-download is reached the limit yesterday, the download rate will be shaped(512Kb) at weekend (Sat and Sun)?
I don't think the staff will work on these 2 days.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:02 pm

ManUtdFans wrote:I don't think the staff will work on these 2 days.
You'd be surprised at the work that Exetel staff do on weekends while you may be off enjoying yourself away from work. The issue has now been well and truly reported, but even if it doesn't get looked at until Monday it isn't the end of the world.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

ManUtdFans

Post by ManUtdFans » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:06 pm

Gidget wrote:
You'd be surprised at the work that Exetel staff do on weekends while you may be off enjoying yourself away from work. The issue has now been well and truly reported, but even if it doesn't get looked at until Monday it isn't the end of the world.

Gidget
This is what the customer service Exetel should provide to their client.

Zeall

Post by Zeall » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:51 am

I'm having the same issue
didn't realize till today!
I will re adjust my downloads to 2am - 8am till i'm sure its fixed
I don't want to be charged extra on a mistake like this
and i'm already over my average peek quota.

~vjay~

Post by ~vjay~ » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:24 am

I'm having the same issue as well. Noticed it last night and fired off an email to Residential Support. Got a reply back that the devs would look into it Monday morning, so I'm not worried about it.

As of yesterday, I estimate that 7-8GBs had been added on that should not be there. This morning shows another 5GB added on that should not be there.

Strange things indeed. Oh well, least I know I'm not crazy. Well, not *that* crazy, anyway...

EDIT: I took my daily peak usage for the first 19 days of this month (before the screwy tracking occurs), combined them, then divided them for a daily average. I then multiplied this amount by the total days (not including today, as peak time should not be accounted for yet), and ten subtracted that amount from my reported peak usage and there's a discrepancy of about 14.5GB. Of course, that's an approximation, but I'd wager it's fairly spot-on.

Now this discrepancy could be accounted for if in fact the tracker is reporting my usage with the theory that I am on a peak schedule from 2A-8A as opposed to my actual peak schedule being from 12P-12A. What's funny is that my usage tracker shows that it's 12P-12A, but it doesn't appear to be working that way.

Oh well, I've got all the faith in the world it'll get sorted.

JellyMoon

Post by JellyMoon » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:34 pm

Looks like it is still happening, almost all of my off peak download this morning is under peak. I didn't open a ticket or email but before I located this I sent a usage question from the member facilities. Will keep an eye on it for now to see if it fixes itself.

squeakytown

Post by squeakytown » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:55 pm

Same here.
I have reported a fault.
I believe both the 21st and 22nd peak and non-peak usage has been 'swapped'. ie recorded in the opposite column.

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:23 pm

squeakytown wrote:Same here.
I have reported a fault.
I believe both the 21st and 22nd peak and non-peak usage has been 'swapped'. ie recorded in the opposite column.
Mine seems to be swapped for the 20th. I did some software downloads in the morning as I was working from home (about 500mb) and the value in my offpeak is ~200mb and the value in peak is 1.1gb :shock:

djevoultion

Post by djevoultion » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:36 pm

Yeah problem is still occurring, they will hopefully fix it within the next few days.. I'm well over my peak allowance because of this "issue" (21.5GB/12GB)

JellyMoon

Post by JellyMoon » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:03 pm

I wasn't expecting a reply to my message, being Sunday, I received this:
Please be advised that we have escalated this issue to the relevant department. We will update you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Chathura D
Support Engineer
Exetel Pty Ltd
Looks like it'll be fixed soon.
Thought I'd share :)

fester

Post by fester » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:42 pm

Im having the same problem, had a message to say i was over my quoter and would be shaped for the rest of the month (although im not).... still running at full speed though - have downloaed about 2gb per day according to the usage meter in peak time when i havent even been home :P

ManUtdFans

Post by ManUtdFans » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:28 pm

Gidget wrote:

Gidget
I don't think they had been working yesterday and today to fix the problem.

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:07 pm

I have experienced the same problem. I am on NF/22INCTEL plan with a Peak Period 12:00pm - 12:00am. But I have noticed that the usage meter at Exetel website has been counting the
download from 8am to 12pm as Peak Download (at least from 21 August 2010), leading to significantly over-reported download metering.

Jim