Oh noes! $6/GB over? That's not right.

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
ozkidzez91

Oh noes! $6/GB over? That's not right.

Post by ozkidzez91 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:06 pm

Hey, I'm on the Z/8192 plan which is 50GB/50GB. For the first time on this plan (and the last time as we've been changed to the new Telstra ADSL2+ plans) and I've noticed that the excess quota is listed in the member's facility as $6/GB over instead of $0.50/GB. As my usage will probably go over by about 5GB you can see how much of a problem this is! I don't wanna be charged $30 excess when it should be $2.50! What can I do?

Klaas

Re: Oh noes! $6/GB over? That's not right.

Post by Klaas » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:14 am

ozkidzez91 wrote:Hey, I'm on the Z/8192 plan which is 50GB/50GB. For the first time on this plan (and the last time as we've been changed to the new Telstra ADSL2+ plans) and I've noticed that the excess quota is listed in the member's facility as $6/GB over instead of $0.50/GB. As my usage will probably go over by about 5GB you can see how much of a problem this is! I don't wanna be charged $30 excess when it should be $2.50! What can I do?
At some stage in the past you would have selected an old style shaping system, providing a 2GB buffer after your quota is reached, before before being charged $6 per GB. This system stays in place across any and all plan changes you may have made.

You can no longer turn it off in the member's facilities, so you'll need to email Exetel directly, asking for it to be removed.

ozkidzez91

Post by ozkidzez91 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:42 pm

I logged a ticket yesterday and they replied asking me to confirm my details which i've just replied to. It's a bit annoying that the shaping stayed on, I assumed it would be turned off when I changed to the newer plan that didn't offer shaping. I really hope I'm not gonna get charged at that huge rate for this month because of this, it's gonna be a ludicrous bill if it is (I went over believing it was $0.50/GB).

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:05 pm

ozkidzez91 wrote:I logged a ticket yesterday and they replied asking me to confirm my details which i've just replied to. It's a bit annoying that the shaping stayed on, I assumed it would be turned off when I changed to the newer plan that didn't offer shaping. I really hope I'm not gonna get charged at that huge rate for this month because of this, it's gonna be a ludicrous bill if it is (I went over believing it was $0.50/GB).
On the one hand, some people expect to get the $0.50/GB options on new plans. On the other, these same people explicitly nominated that the 2GB "grace period" was beneficial to them, so it is difficult for Exetel to automatically decide what to do on change-over. "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" sort of thing but Exetel chose the latter, in order to honor the grace period unless informed otherwise by customers via email.

But, yes. There is a very strong argument that Exetel should just email all customers and say that the $6/GB shaping overlay will be removed under plan changes. Or possibly a check-box on change over "Do you wish to continue with $6/GB with 2GB grace period or would you prefer $0.5/GB?" Perhaps you can submit this as a suggestion via your Member Facilities.

Otherwise, you might want to email billing@exetel.com.au if you are worried about a large bill because of this shaping confusion
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au