Off peak usage transferred to Peak usage.

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
Lavec

Off peak usage transferred to Peak usage.

Post by Lavec » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:41 am

Hi,

I'm having a bizarre occurrence in that at the end of the day my off-peak usage, or a good proportion of it, is being transferred into my peak usage.

I noticed this over the last few days when I started to see lots of peak usage but I only download during off-peak. I monitored this yesterday by downloading 1GB between 1-2pm, another 1 GB between 2-3pm and then again 1GB between 3-4pm. My off-peak is 4am to 4pm. So yesterday evening I checked my usage throughout the evening and it stayed at 3.1GB off-peak download and 281MB off-peak upload. Peak was on about 1.5MB upload and through the course of the night went to about 60MB download. After midnight it was still this.

This morning I check and my off-peak has become 0.71MB upload and 2.16MB download and my peak has become 299MB upload and 3.2GB download. It seems all my downloads after at least 1pm have been transferred to peak usage. I'm now 4.6GB over my peak allowance. This explains why my peak usage has skyrocketed over the last 5 days and looking at my usage it's possible this has been going on for quite some time, whenever I'm downloading off-peak there seems to be a lot of peak download too which is usually not the case.

What is going on? Is this a glitch that is altering my peak times at the end of the day? It's supposed to be 4am - 4pm but maybe it's calculating it as 12am - 12 pm afterwards.

Thanks.

Himantha
Exetel Staff

Re: Off peak usage transferred to Peak usage.

Post by Himantha » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:05 pm

I will investigate this with our developers, however your peak and off peak times are:

Peak Period: 4:00 pm to 4:00 am
Off-Peak Period: 4:00 am to 4:00 pm

Lavec

Post by Lavec » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:06 pm

Thanks. Yes I know what my peak and off-peak times are and it correctly reports this in the Members Facilities Home page, which is why it's bizarre that 3GB of downloads done between 1pm and 4pm gets transferred to Peak quota. As I said if I check my usage details it now shows only 2MB of off-peak downloads and 3.2GB of peak downloads for yesterday when I conducted the experiment, yet when I checked at 4:15pm and again at midnight it correctly showed the 3GB in my off-peak quota - the data got moved to peak some time through the night.

If you need more information let me know.

Himantha
Exetel Staff

Post by Himantha » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:26 pm

I will provide you an update shortly.

Chris T

Post by Chris T » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:39 pm

I have similar problem with my usage meter in the past couple of days, somehow most of my off-peak usage for the previous day were transferred to the peak usage overnight.

Chris.

Lavec

Post by Lavec » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:33 pm

Not sure of it's related but I also notice a small amount of peak upload/download in the morning even though peak doesn't kick in until 4pm. It's usually only around 10MB so I've never worried about it but something is not quite right with the allocation of peak/off-peak usage.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:05 pm

My times are
Peak Period: 2:00 pm to 2:00 am
Off-Peak Period: 2:00 am to 2:00 pm
and over the last few days I have noticed the same thing - off-peak usage is being recorded as peak.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

rukshani
Exetel Staff

Post by rukshani » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:08 pm

This issue with the usage meter is currently been looked in to by the development team.

Will provide an update soon.

Lavec

Post by Lavec » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:56 pm

This appears to be fixed now. On the experiment day the 3GB of downloads is now back in the off-peak usage column. All other days have been adjusted too and I've had 20GB of peak usage moved back to off-peak.

Thanks for the quick response from the dev team. It's a little disconcerting this could happen though so I would advise to keep an eye on things, especially if you pay for excess usage like me.

Regards,

Lavec

Himantha
Exetel Staff

Post by Himantha » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:16 pm

According to our developers this issue should be fixed, however they are re-calculating the usage between 19th to now to make sure it is 100% fixed.