XML Usage Meter - Minor Password Problem

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
fogger

XML Usage Meter - Minor Password Problem

Post by fogger » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:07 pm

One of the users of my usage meter app was having problems getting the app to accept his logon details. Being a technical guy he tracked down the problem and found that it was caused by having a # character in the password. I've tested this myself and confirmed that it is a problem. It only affects the XML usage meter feed. The same password works fine everywhere else on the website. My app already escapes the url to deal with reserved characters, but this doesn't help with the # character. You can test this yourself by accessing the usage meter in a web browser.

It looks like the web server serving the XML usage needs to be reconfigured to accept the # character, and not just treat it as a fragment identifier.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragment_identifier

Could someone look into this for me. It's a problem that would be affecting all apps that use the XML usage meter feed.

Thanks,
Simon

rukshani
Exetel Staff

Re: XML Usage Meter - Minor Password Problem

Post by rukshani » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:25 pm

fogger wrote:One of the users of my usage meter app was having problems getting the app to accept his logon details. Being a technical guy he tracked down the problem and found that it was caused by having a # character in the password. I've tested this myself and confirmed that it is a problem. It only affects the XML usage meter feed. The same password works fine everywhere else on the website. My app already escapes the url to deal with reserved characters, but this doesn't help with the # character. You can test this yourself by accessing the usage meter in a web browser.

It looks like the web server serving the XML usage needs to be reconfigured to accept the # character, and not just treat it as a fragment identifier.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragment_identifier

Could someone look into this for me. It's a problem that would be affecting all apps that use the XML usage meter feed.

Thanks,
Simon
I have sent it on to a support supervisor and he will look in to it.

fogger

Post by fogger » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:47 pm

Has there been any progress on this problem?

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:55 pm

fogger wrote:Has there been any progress on this problem?

We are sorry for not getting back to you on this, I'm currently looking in to it. Will come back to you soon.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:57 pm

Do you really want to leave this character unencoded in a URL reference?

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:14 pm

fogger wrote:Has there been any progress on this problem?
This has been already investigated by our developer team (4449453). I will update this thread once I hear from them.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

fogger

Post by fogger » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:31 pm

Dazzled wrote:Do you really want to leave this character unencoded in a URL reference?
I'm already escaping the whole URL used when requesting the usage from the XML feed.

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:32 am

Dear fogger,

I will follow up this with our Devs and update you ASAP :).

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:49 pm

ShaminG wrote:Dear fogger,

I will follow up this with our Devs and update you ASAP :).
Dear fogger,

I have checked this with the developers and confirm that you need to use the Url encoding.

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

fogger

Post by fogger » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:02 pm

Hi stevecJ,

I already do use url encoding. I was just referring to it as escaping, which is just a generic term for character encoding in general. When I last tested this problem specifically I found that url encoding worked perfectly for all other characters except the # character. You can test it in any web browser by manually encoding the # character as %23 yourself.

At the moment the change password page in the member facilities doesn't let you use any non-alphanumeric characters. The last time I was testing this problem it allowed them. I specifically remember successfully using a password with a # character to log onto the member facilities successfully. So it sounds like the real answer is that you can't use non-alphanumeric characters in passwords anymore. That's not a problem for me, but I wish somebody would just say so.

rukshani
Exetel Staff

Post by rukshani » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:00 pm

fogger wrote:Hi stevecJ,

I already do use url encoding. I was just referring to it as escaping, which is just a generic term for character encoding in general. When I last tested this problem specifically I found that url encoding worked perfectly for all other characters except the # character. You can test it in any web browser by manually encoding the # character as %23 yourself.

At the moment the change password page in the member facilities doesn't let you use any non-alphanumeric characters. The last time I was testing this problem it allowed them. I specifically remember successfully using a password with a # character to log onto the member facilities successfully. So it sounds like the real answer is that you can't use non-alphanumeric characters in passwords anymore. That's not a problem for me, but I wish somebody would just say so.
A support engineer will soon advise you over it.

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:58 pm

fogger wrote:Hi stevecJ,

Hi fogger ,

I am currently looking into this with the help of our development team , i will get back to you as soon as i get an update from them . :D
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============