Shold I get usage warnings for ADSL?

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
Mort

Shold I get usage warnings for ADSL?

Post by Mort » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:11 pm

Greetings,

For the first time in "forever" I have exceeded my download quota for the month, and by a fair amount. I had installed a new server (WSUS) on my network before I went on holidays and didn't realise it was busily trying to download 216GB of updates from Microsoft :(

Anyway, lesson learned and all that, but my question is:

Are we supposed to get notifications when our ADSL quote hits certain levels?

I get them for my mobile services, but since I've never made much impact on my ADSL quota I've never even needed to think about this before.

Scott.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Shold I get usage warnings for ADSL?

Post by Dazzled » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:08 pm

Mort, I don't know what your server runs, or whether you route the whole network through it, comparing current usage with your allowance isn't complex. If it's acting as a router you only need count throughput and do something. There is also self-contained router/gateway software on which you can use a GUI to configure almost anything.

Otherwise you might schedule a periodic download of the usage XML statement to a file (TMPFILE), which can be overwritten as often as you like. Xmlstarlet is available for Linux and Windows and Mac to extract the file data so the script or whatever can perform the arithmetic. Notify all users when you are nearly used up by playing a sound, sending emails, whatever you like.

Since xmlstarlet's documentation isn't particularly new user friendly, the key XPath call args required are these:

Code: Select all

PEAKUSE=$(xmlstarlet sel -t -v "//CurrentMonthUsage/PeakDownload"       $TMPFILE) 
PEAKMAX=$(xmlstarlet sel -t -v "//PlanDetails/PeakTimeDownloadInMB"     $TMPFILE)

OFFPUSE=$(xmlstarlet sel -t -v "//CurrentMonthUsage/OffpeakDownload"   $TMPFILE)
OFFPMAX=$(xmlstarlet sel -t -v "//PlanDetails/OffpeakTimeDownloadInMB" $TMPFILE)  

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:25 pm

Mort wrote:Greetings,

For the first time in "forever" I have exceeded my download quota for the month, and by a fair amount. I had installed a new server (WSUS) on my network before I went on holidays and didn't realise it was busily trying to download 216GB of updates from Microsoft :(

I get them for my mobile services, but since I've never made much impact on my ADSL quota I've never even needed to think about this before.

Scott.
You can subscribe to usage notifications in your members area.

Mort

Post by Mort » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:33 pm

Dazzled wrote:Mort, I don't know what your server runs, or whether you route the whole network through it, comparing current usage with your allowance isn't complex. If it's acting as a router you only need count throughput and do something. There is also self-contained router/gateway software on which you can use a GUI to configure almost anything.
Hi Dazzled, I'm not sure what question you are trying to answer... I know exactly what caused the excess downloading, and I know how to check my usage, but as I said I've never even come close before for it to be a concern. In fact I've never even triggered the 80% threshold before so wouldn't have known if notifications were working or not. My normal peak usage is around 30GB from my 200GB quota.

btw - I had built a new WSUS (Windows Update Server) just before I went away and didn't realise I had set it to auto-download *all* updates instead of just newly approved updates. My bad, but I didn't realise until I just got back after a week away and noticed my link was running a bit slow.
James wrote:You can subscribe to usage notifications in your members area.
Hi James,
I just checked and it was already enabled for ADSL usage notifications. It's using the same email address as my Mobile usage notifications and I got them of, but I haven't seen any ADSL ones.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Mort wrote:
James wrote:You can subscribe to usage notifications in your members area.
Hi James,
I just checked and it was already enabled for ADSL usage notifications. It's using the same email address as my Mobile usage notifications and I got them of, but I haven't seen any ADSL ones.

Hi Mort,

Could you please PM me your service number so that I can look into why you have not received the emails if you had already enabled the "ADSL usage notifications" through the members area :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

Mort

Post by Mort » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:38 pm

PM Sent

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Mort. I'm sorry if I was confusing. I was suggesting you make your own alarm (as well as Exetel's if desired). My network has one, as have the few left that I assist with. A gateway can simply cut off any download over-run unless manually over-ridden.

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:30 pm

Mort wrote:PM Sent

I have escalated this to our development team :) , I will get back to you once they have a look at this
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

Mort

Post by Mort » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:39 pm

Dazzled wrote:Mort. I'm sorry if I was confusing. I was suggesting you make your own alarm (as well as Exetel's if desired). My network has one, as have the few left that I assist with. A gateway can simply cut off any download over-run unless manually over-ridden.
Thanks Dazzled,

Setting up an alarm is something I can do pretty easily with my current setup, but it wasn't ever an issue before. The reason I'm on a pay-for-excess plan rather than a shaped plan is that I don't want my speeds or connection to change even if I did go over.

I'm a bit annoyed that I didn't get a notification email from Exetel because I would have picked up immediately that something was wrong. As it stand now I have to be very careful for the last couple of days this month (long weekend, bummer :( ) until the next billing cycle resets it.

Mort

Post by Mort » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:58 am

When your usage reaches 80%, 90%, 100%, 110%, 150% or 200% of your account allowance, we send you an email notification.
I didn't get a warning at 110% either.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:53 am

I have informed our developers.

IanS

Post by IanS » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:50 am

Mort wrote:Greetings,

Scott.
Hi Scott,

I too wasn't getting notifications/invoices etc for my second ADSL & my HSPA accounts. I think it has something to do with the same email address being used on more than one account. As a workaround, I made up a dummy email addresses for my other Exetel services & just forwarded them to my main email address & everything is working fine

IanS
Last edited by IanS on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mort

Post by Mort » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:07 am

Well I guess that's something the Exetel devs can look into. I guess I'm $40 out of pocket, but it could have been a hell of a lot worse. :( Imagine if I was on an NBN connection I would have popped that cap in about an hour or two!