New Plans!

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
JeremyP

Re: New Plans!

Post by JeremyP » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:58 am

James wrote:Jeremy, you should remember that Exetel receives bounties/commissions/etc from suppliers for new customers. This is how these new plans are offered.

There is no ETA for when these plans will be available to current customers.
Certainly, but i would have hoped after 6 months or more, there would have been an arrangement about getting the new pricing for existing customers.

I'll just keep waiting i guess.

The new customer plans are great by the way and the site facelift looks great too, people i've recommended to Exetel are all very happy with the costs and service.

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:03 am

Can I ask, are Exetel actively trying to come to an arrangement so existing customers can access the new plans?

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:20 am

I doubt it, it wouldn't take this long. They're just happy taking all the new subsidies/bonuses from new users.
Last edited by thomashouseman on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:58 am

Yabbie wrote:Can I ask, are Exetel actively trying to come to an arrangement so existing customers can access the new plans?
Exetel has a ten year track record of doing its best by our customers.

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:24 am

James wrote:Exetel has a ten year track record of doing its best by our customers.
Hi James,

I realise this, and I meant no offence, it's just that in the past it's never taken this long for "good" new plans to trickle down to existing customers before (that I can remember).

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:42 am

thomashouseman wrote:I doubt it, it wouldn't take this long. They're just happy taking all the new subsidies/bonuses from new users.
Um...New users are the ones that get the subsidies / bonuses. Plus, trolling on topics such as this doesn't really benefit anybody.

Readers of this forum are correct that it has currently taken longer in this instance for new customer pricing to be made available for existing customers. And any frustration that arises from this unfortunate circumstance is completely understandable. However, whether this is being driven by Exetel, their carriers, or some other influence it is clear that the circumstances are beyond the control of the individual customer; the plans are what they are.

The recent few posts on this topic that proposed utilising a 3G connection to mitigate internet downtime seems a reasonable suggestion for those who truly wish to benefit from the "new customer" pricing. I admit that if I were in this situation as it currently stands, I'd probably pursue the cancellation of ADSL, retention of phone and email accounts, and use a 3G account while ADSL is reprovisioned at the lower pricing.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:56 am

CoreyPlover wrote:
thomashouseman wrote:I doubt it, it wouldn't take this long. They're just happy taking all the new subsidies/bonuses from new users.
Um...New users are the ones that get the subsidies / bonuses. Plus, trolling on topics such as this doesn't really benefit anybody.

Readers of this forum are correct that it has currently taken longer in this instance for new customer pricing to be made available for existing customers. And any frustration that arises from this unfortunate circumstance is completely understandable. However, whether this is being driven by Exetel, their carriers, or some other influence it is clear that the circumstances are beyond the control of the individual customer; the plans are what they are.

The recent few posts on this topic that proposed utilising a 3G connection to mitigate internet downtime seems a reasonable suggestion for those who truly wish to benefit from the "new customer" pricing. I admit that if I were in this situation as it currently stands, I'd probably pursue the cancellation of ADSL, retention of phone and email accounts, and use a 3G account while ADSL is reprovisioned at the lower pricing.
Exactly! viewtopic.php?f=303&t=40509&start=30#p308061 states that Exetel gets bonuses/subsidies from Optus for new users. I assume they're passing some of those on to the new users to allow for the discounted plans.

The fact that they're not giving a straight answer to Yabbie is very telling to me.

I'm a 10 year customer and I just submitted my bigpond cable app. I'm too tired of waiting for the promised/not-promised plans to eventuate. I'll keep my voip/mobile with Exetel, but this messing around (promising of new plans soon, then taking that promise away) etc... has gone on for months now costing us all.

Thanks for all the Broadband Exetel. You've done great for the past 9 1/2 years and hopefully I'll still be a minor customer for many more.

T.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:06 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
CoreyPlover wrote:

Exactly! viewtopic.php?f=303&t=40509&start=30#p308061 states that Exetel gets bonuses/subsidies from Optus for new users. I assume they're passing some of those on to the new users to allow for the discounted plans.

The fact that they're not giving a straight answer to Yabbie is very telling to me.

I'm a 10 year customer and I just submitted my bigpond cable app. I'm too tired of waiting for the promised/not-promised plans to eventuate. I'll keep my voip/mobile with Exetel, but this messing around (promising of new plans soon, then taking that promise away) etc... has gone on for months now costing us all.

Thanks for all the Broadband Exetel. You've done great for the past 9 1/2 years and hopefully I'll still be a minor customer for many more.

T.

Not really an apples, to apples comparison.

Cable to ADSL2+?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:10 pm

thomashouseman wrote:Exactly! viewtopic.php?f=303&t=40509&start=30#p308061 states that Exetel gets bonuses/subsidies from Optus for new users. I assume they're passing some of those on to the new users to allow for the discounted plans.
Yes, that is how I interpret those statements as well: Because Optus subsidies the costs for new customer plans, Exetel can offer new customers lower prices. This means that Exetel are explicitly not profiteering from new user signups. Nor do I think they are profiteering from current customer signups either. I think their pricing accurately reflects the relative costs of doing business for each customer cohort.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:11 pm

James wrote: Not really an apples, to apples comparison.

Cable to ADSL2+?
No it's not. I wasn't comparing the two. It was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

I moved to our new home in 2012. The ADSL here is just not as good as it was at our old home that was several hundred metres from the Exchange. (I know, I was spoilt)

I managed to negotiate a $40/month discount off their cable plan and it was too good to not jump onto if I couldn't have the even cheaper Exetel ADSL plans.

So I'm paying more but getting a much nicer service. If I could have moved to the cheaper plans, I probably would have stayed and put up with the slower speeds.

T.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:19 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
thomashouseman wrote:Exactly! viewtopic.php?f=303&t=40509&start=30#p308061 states that Exetel gets bonuses/subsidies from Optus for new users. I assume they're passing some of those on to the new users to allow for the discounted plans.
Yes, that is how I interpret those statements as well: Because Optus subsidies the costs for new customer plans, Exetel can offer new customers lower prices. This means that Exetel are explicitly not profiteering from new user signups. Nor do I think they are profiteering from current customer signups either. I think their pricing accurately reflects the relative costs of doing business for each customer cohort.
But what they're NOT doing is trying to negotiate any deals for their existing customers. We just have to stay on the old plans that are permanently more expensive or move away.

It's sad that Exetel have now been caught in this net: http://johnl.blogs.exetel.com.au/index. ... 02/07.html

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:02 pm

thomashouseman wrote:But what they're NOT doing is trying to negotiate any deals for their existing customers.
You don't have any knowledge of what they are, or are not, doing. Neither do the rest of us for that matter. Which is why I say there is no benefit speculating about it. Even worse is casting unwarranted and unfounded assertions.

Exetel's official position has always been that they are trying to negotiate better deals for existing customers. Historically, they have managed to succeed, but in this current cycle, the desired outcomes are just not eventuating. Personally, I find this position very believable given what I know about sales and supplier commissions in general terms.

I see not reason to suspect, and even less reason to allege, that Exetel are being deceptive. This is just one of those instances where for all their effort, there are no positive outcomes to show for it. I suspect that this will have an impact on customer exits (take yourself for instance). It is unfortunate, but it is entirely understandable from the perspective of all involved.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:06 pm

Then why didn't James just say yes to Yabbie?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:46 pm

At least as at the end of last year, Exetel explicitly stated they were pursuing these negotiations (see this, this, this or this).
thomashouseman wrote:Then why didn't James just say yes to Yabbie?
Perhaps there are contractual obligations between Exetel and Optus that prevent disclosure of negotiations. Perhaps he is just not the best of communicators... Perhaps negotiations have indeed stalled, but for now I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:56 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
CoreyPlover wrote:
But what they're NOT doing is trying to negotiate any deals for their existing customers. We just have to stay on the old plans that are permanently more expensive or move away.

It's sad that Exetel have now been caught in this net: http://johnl.blogs.exetel.com.au/index. ... 02/07.html
Goodbye Thomas, i've always appreciated your commentary on what we apparently do not do for our customers.