Page 1 of 1

XML ADSL Usage Feed

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:23 pm
by Chris T
Is there something wrong with the XML usage feed? It has been playing up a bit lately. Not too long ago, there were a few days when the feed sometimes returned the right data and sometimes returned data that were days old. Now my usage meter is saying that there has been no data from the feed for last 1.5 days.

Re: XML ADSL Usage Feed

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:59 pm
by ShaminG
Chris T wrote:Is there something wrong with the XML usage feed? It has been playing up a bit lately. Not too long ago, there were a few days when the feed sometimes returned the right data and sometimes returned data that were days old. Now my usage meter is saying that there has been no data from the feed for last 1.5 days.
Had a look into the usage detail on your account and looks fine. Below is the usage for last 4 days via the link, https://www.exetel.com.au/members/usagemeter_xml.php?

2015-04-20 3237.8900 80.0300 140.9400 17.1300
2015-04-21 5561.0100 133.2500 774.3300 25.7300
2015-04-22 4647.8400 116.0000 126.0800 11.3800
2015-04-23 505.8900 27.1900 2953.2500 60.3300

Re: XML ADSL Usage Feed

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:05 pm
by Chris T
Perhaps my HTML knowledge is so rusty that I got the syntax for username & password wrong, that URL gave me

error=Incorrect User/Pass

I have a closer look at the error message from the usage meter. It suggests it may be an authentication issue when running self-test:

Failed with Invalid Download: Invalid download with error "No data was returned, Exetel site may be down". Please check username or password.

Re: XML ADSL Usage Feed

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:53 pm
by Dazzled
Go to the URL as:

Code: Select all

https://www.exetel.com.au/members/usagemeter_xml.php?PHONE_NUMBER,PASSWORD
where you substitute appropriate values for 10 digit PHONE_NUMBER and PASSWORD.

You don't need a browser. Download software will get the file, probably in a more readable form, and may provide more meaningful error messages, if there are any.

Re: XML ADSL Usage Feed

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:05 am
by Shukri
Perhaps my HTML knowledge is so rusty that I got the syntax for username & password wrong, that URL gave me

error=Incorrect User/Pass

I have a closer look at the error message from the usage meter. It suggests it may be an authentication issue when running self-test:

Failed with Invalid Download: Invalid download with error "No data was returned, Exetel site may be down". Please check username or password.

You may log on to the members account using the following URL and locate the usage meter instead of trying the direct link.

https://www.exetel.com.au/myexetel/

Re: XML ADSL Usage Feed

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:39 pm
by Chris T
Shukri wrote:
You may log on to the members account using the following URL and locate the usage meter instead of trying the direct link.

https://www.exetel.com.au/myexetel/
I am aware of the usage meter in the member facility. What I am having problem with is the "Mini Exetel Usage Meter". It stopped updating the usage data a few days ago. The direct link is feeding the right data. If the link hasn't changed recently, I guess the problem is in the application.

Re: XML ADSL Usage Feed

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:55 pm
by Dazzled
There may be a problem with Toid's meter.

My meters use the downloader wget to retrieve the file, thus: wget --no-check-certificate SOURCE -O DEST, where SOURCE is https://www.exetel.com.au/members/usage ... R,PASSWORD[/i] and DEST is the downloaded XML file.

Other downloaders will be similar.

I haven't seen any problems with the XML data.

Re: XML ADSL Usage Feed

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:57 pm
by ShaminG
I also tested your account and it's working fine. You may need to go through Options -> Account information and update the UN/PW.

Re: XML ADSL Usage Feed

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:42 pm
by Chris T
ShaminG wrote:I also tested your account and it's working fine. You may need to go through Options -> Account information and update the UN/PW.
I have already done that and it doesn't fix the problem, that's why I initially thought the problem was with the XML feed. It happens to the usage meters on two machines but they are similarly setup. I haven't seen any blocked connection in the firewall, antivirus, etc. logs. Time to dig deeper into it when I have more time...

Re: XML ADSL Usage Feed

Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:18 pm
by Thy_Zombie!
I too have been unable to obtain a valid download from The Toids "Mini Exetel Usage Meter" app for a while now - "No data was returned..."

I dare say he has ceased updating the app. As there's been no activity on his exetel forum for almost a year (http://home.exetel.com.au/amurgshere/forum/index.php) and the app was last updated Jul `14 (http://home.exetel.com.au/amurgshere/mx ... ory_&_Info).

If your listening Toid'meister - us old faithfuls would love to continue using this little beaudy... if you could find the time for another update ;)


- TZ!

Re: XML ADSL Usage Feed

Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:00 am
by KavindaS
Thy_Zombie! wrote:I too have been unable to obtain a valid download from The Toids "Mini Exetel Usage Meter" app for a while now - "No data was returned..."

I dare say he has ceased updating the app. As there's been no activity on his exetel forum for almost a year (http://home.exetel.com.au/amurgshere/forum/index.php) and the app was last updated Jul `14 (http://home.exetel.com.au/amurgshere/mx ... ory_&_Info).

If your listening Toid'meister - us old faithfuls would love to continue using this little beaudy... if you could find the time for another update ;)


- TZ!
I will escalate this with the relevant developing team. :)

Re: XML ADSL Usage Feed

Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:10 am
by Dazzled
The developer of this popular meter, The Toid, is a customer and forum member - http://home.exetel.com.au/amurgshere/mxtlusage.phtml. It was not written by Exetel. It is for the Windows OS, and the source code is not available.

There is a discontinuation message at http://home.exetel.com.au/amurgshere/xtlusage.phtml

Other XML readers are still functional, to my knowledge.

Re: XML ADSL Usage Feed

Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:19 pm
by Chris T
He discontinued the full meter but the mini meter was last updated 10 months ago. I guess I don't have to debug the problem anymore.