Crazy Usage - 173GB in 8 hours?

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
Post Reply
Neil S
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:13 pm

Crazy Usage - 173GB in 8 hours?

Post by Neil S » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:37 pm

Just got an email that we are over our limit, and found 173,859.95 MB peak usage in 8 hours (9am to 5pm), not bad on an ADSL2 connection syncing at about 14500.

That means about 6MBytes a second, difficult as the connection maxes out at about 1.8 to 2MB/s (if we are lucky, more like 1.4 or so).

Any problems with the usage meter today,and can this be fixed, it has put us over our limit and probably capped the connection.

Neil S

User avatar
KavindaS
Forum Admin
Posts: 2017
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:59 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Crazy Usage - 173GB in 8 hours?

Post by KavindaS » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:04 am

Neil S wrote:Just got an email that we are over our limit, and found 173,859.95 MB peak usage in 8 hours (9am to 5pm), not bad on an ADSL2 connection syncing at about 14500.

That means about 6MBytes a second, difficult as the connection maxes out at about 1.8 to 2MB/s (if we are lucky, more like 1.4 or so).

Any problems with the usage meter today,and can this be fixed, it has put us over our limit and probably capped the connection.

Neil S
Could you please PM me your 10 digit service number and we will first check with our developing team accordingly . Currently there are no known issues have reported.

Neil S
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:13 pm

Re: Crazy Usage - 173GB in 8 hours?

Post by Neil S » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:23 pm

So they have dropped the days usage from 175GB to 88GB, remember this is in 8 hours, although the support tech was fixated on the 16 hour peak window.

So 88 GB in 8 hours = 11GB and hour, that is 183MB min or just over 3MB a second, still impossible (I am being very polite here), and no further contact, so it looks like we will have to buy some extra GB data @ 1.50 a GB, and probably move to another supplier, nice way to treat a customer who has been with Exetel for over 6 years spending over a $1000 a month on connections.

Just a note in case someone looks a this, if we did download that much would not our uploads have increased as well? I would also like to know how they came up with the adjustment they have done, I am assuming they just made it up.

Really unhappy corporate/small business customer.

Neil S

Kaushalya
Exetel Staff
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Crazy Usage - 173GB in 8 hours?

Post by Kaushalya » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:21 pm

Neil S wrote:So they have dropped the days usage from 175GB to 88GB, remember this is in 8 hours, although the support tech was fixated on the 16 hour peak window.

So 88 GB in 8 hours = 11GB and hour, that is 183MB min or just over 3MB a second, still impossible (I am being very polite here), and no further contact, so it looks like we will have to buy some extra GB data @ 1.50 a GB, and probably move to another supplier, nice way to treat a customer who has been with Exetel for over 6 years spending over a $1000 a month on connections.

Just a note in case someone looks a this, if we did download that much would not our uploads have increased as well? I would also like to know how they came up with the adjustment they have done, I am assuming they just made it up.

Really unhappy corporate/small business customer.

Neil S
Sorry for the inconvenience caused. This matter is currently being investigated through our development team.

Your reference number: 9489719

We will keep you posted.

Neil S
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:13 pm

Re: Crazy Usage - 173GB in 8 hours?

Post by Neil S » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:34 am

So the answer is if you have a "session mismatch", you can actually at least double the speed of your ADSL2 internet connection and download an impossible amount of data. It appears no one actually cares about the truth or customers at Exetel these days.

If we did download this much data in 8 hours (impossible, but hey who cares about actual data) the connection would have been unusable by the 8 employees who actually use it during the day. Also if we did need to download large amounts of data we would use either of our unlimited Ethernet over Copper connections.

Our normal downloads per weekday peak period is about 12GB up to a max of maybe 20GB, so 175/88GB, is extemely unlikely.

Neil S

Nathanael S
Exetel Staff
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Sri Lanka

Re: Crazy Usage - 173GB in 8 hours?

Post by Nathanael S » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:01 am

Neil S wrote:So the answer is if you have a "session mismatch", you can actually at least double the speed of your ADSL2 internet connection and download an impossible amount of data. It appears no one actually cares about the truth or customers at Exetel these days.

If we did download this much data in 8 hours (impossible, but hey who cares about actual data) the connection would have been unusable by the 8 employees who actually use it during the day. Also if we did need to download large amounts of data we would use either of our unlimited Ethernet over Copper connections.

Our normal downloads per weekday peak period is about 12GB up to a max of maybe 20GB, so 175/88GB, is extemely unlikely.

Neil S
We have received your email and the case is being further investigated through ticket id: 9489719. We apologize for the inconvenience caused thus far.

Post Reply