"Exetel Plan Change" email is failing security checks

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
Franpa

"Exetel Plan Change" email is failing security checks

Post by Franpa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:46 pm

Hotmail (Microsoft Live Mail) is excluding Sender information when I view the email and also sorts it in to the Junk folder by default, this seems to be because the email fails various authentication checks. When viewing my email index the email is listed as "[unknown]" and when I open the email the subject title "Exetel Plan Change - 0000000000" and contents of the message can be seen but there is nowhere to click to view Sender information.

All 3 of these issues (sorted in to Junk Folder by default, can't view Subject of email when viewing the index of emails, can't view Sender Information when viewing the email) seem to be Microsoft's attempt at protecting me from suspicious emails (the sender information could probably be forged by an evil doer since the email doesn't include any authentication data).

Authentication-Results: spf=none (sender IP is 220.233.0.83)
smtp.helo=marrowbean.exetel.com.au; hotmail.com; dkim=none (message not signed) header.d=none;hotmail.com; dmarc=none action=none header.from=; Received-SPF: None (protection.outlook.com: marrowbean.exetel.com.au does not designate permitted sender hosts)
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1520MHz RAM | MSI Gamer 1080Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

AroshJ
Exetel Staff

Re: "Exetel Plan Change" email is failing security checks

Post by AroshJ » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:29 pm

Franpa wrote:Hotmail (Microsoft Live Mail) is excluding Sender information when I view the email and also sorts it in to the Junk folder by default, this seems to be because the email fails various authentication checks. When viewing my email index the email is listed as "[unknown]" and when I open the email the subject title "Exetel Plan Change - 0000000000" and contents of the message can be seen but there is nowhere to click to view Sender information.

All 3 of these issues (sorted in to Junk Folder by default, can't view Subject of email when viewing the index of emails, can't view Sender Information when viewing the email) seem to be Microsoft's attempt at protecting me from suspicious emails (the sender information could probably be forged by an evil doer since the email doesn't include any authentication data).

Authentication-Results: spf=none (sender IP is 220.233.0.83)
smtp.helo=marrowbean.exetel.com.au; hotmail.com; dkim=none (message not signed) header.d=none;hotmail.com; dmarc=none action=none header.from=; Received-SPF: None (protection.outlook.com: marrowbean.exetel.com.au does not designate permitted sender hosts)
Do you experience this issue on emails from a specific group of senders ? If yes, please be kind enough to drop us an email elaborating this and it will be much effective if you could provide us the header information as well. :) Email : residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:48 pm

Affected email accounts:
marrowbean.exetel.com.au (12/11/2017)
autojob@beechnut.snet.exetel.com.au (30/04/2010)

I don't have any other emails in my email account from Exetel that have failed the security checks. I've sent an email with the message source of the 2017 incident.
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1520MHz RAM | MSI Gamer 1080Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:44 pm

Franpa wrote:Affected email accounts:
marrowbean.exetel.com.au (12/11/2017)
autojob@beechnut.snet.exetel.com.au (30/04/2010)

I don't have any other emails in my email account from Exetel that have failed the security checks. I've sent an email with the message source of the 2017 incident.
I have located your sent email with reference to this via the ticket id 12256179. We will have this checked with the system administrators and update you through that.