Is there a currently working usage meter?

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Member facilities
drayzen

Is there a currently working usage meter?

Post by drayzen » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:09 pm

I've recently come back to Exetel after quite a few years away with Optus :x and have been trying to find a usage meter that still works as this was a great feature...

James,
I saw in another thread you saying that you don't think that you can get it approved to support these things as user take-up is too low.
I think this is probably more a matter of awareness than desire.

What do you think about contacting the creator of the now discontinued Net Usage Item to see about having an official Exetel only Firefox/Chrome add-on made?
https://netusage.com
You could first send out an email and polls on social media asking if users would like to have this option?
Then if it proceeds, regular mentions in emails and on social would likely maintain it's uptake.
For those of us on fixed usage I think it's a really nice feature to have and a shame none of them work anymore...

cheers, Al
... The wolf does not concern himself with the opinions of sheep ...

judep
Exetel Staff

Re: Is there a currently working usage meter?

Post by judep » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:39 pm

drayzen wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:09 pm
I've recently come back to Exetel after quite a few years away with Optus :x and have been trying to find a usage meter that still works as this was a great feature...

James,
I saw in another thread you saying that you don't think that you can get it approved to support these things as user take-up is too low.
I think this is probably more a matter of awareness than desire.

What do you think about contacting the creator of the now discontinued Net Usage Item to see about having an official Exetel only Firefox/Chrome add-on made?
https://netusage.com
You could first send out an email and polls on social media asking if users would like to have this option?
Then if it proceeds, regular mentions in emails and on social would likely maintain it's uptake.
For those of us on fixed usage I think it's a really nice feature to have and a shame none of them work anymore...

cheers, Al
Hi Al,

Currently we do not have a usage meter as an add on, however we do have a usage meter on our members facility "My Exetel" web page, having said we have raised your concern and this suggestion to our developer to check the possibility of achieving this. Once an update is received from them we will get back to you. Should you have any other concerns on this Your Exetel reference is 14027676.

Thank you.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Is there a currently working usage meter?

Post by Dazzled » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:59 pm

Speaking as the author of at least one of the meters....

The old facility depended on logging into an XML data page read by sending the name/password pair in the URL as a GET request. Exetel considered this as insufficiently secure and discontinued the service.

It could be revived in a secure manner but it was stated that management did not intend to. I agree that logging in to the main site is cumbersome, when an applet or browser add-on could keep it updated every half hour. It isn't as bad today as it was when data allowances were smaller.