FAX Via Email

'Fax to Email' and 'Email to Fax' services
infirmus

Post by infirmus » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:41 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:We'll look into it again once we get the basic service operational.
OK cheers.

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:42 am

I just though i would put my comments and suggestions in.
To be completely honest this topic is starting to get a bit too long for me to read all the way through it, so forgive me if the suggestions that i put forward have already been mentioned and commented on, as i have business's that i deal with need for their fax service.

1) As with WinFax Pro, it installs a fax printer driver (Windows users) so if/when they receive/send a fax they just send it to their virtual fax.

2) The majority of business's have FaxStream (Telstra service - urgh), any way to "port" that service to Exetel? (number is already on their letterheads/business cards, etc)

3) The majority of business's have their own domain name, so any way to "lock" the email-to-fax/fax-to-email service to a randomized email address? eg jhyuksheoos@domainname.com/.au (for security reasons)

4) Please have this system a fully OS independent service, so business that run *nix/Mac can still use it.

5) Have various plans so that the service can fit to the business needs. Some require to receive faxes more then what they send, some vice versa, some require to send/receive many/alot

Thank you

Albatross

Speed and simplicity

Post by Albatross » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:42 pm

Another impressive idea from Exetel, and we would most definitely use it at the suggested pricing if it's not too fiddly. We currently use a service called Interfax, which is easy. We simply address an email combining the fax number and their dedicated email address thus:

+61312345678@fax.tc

Then, attach a word DOC, PDF, TIFF, etc to the email, and send.

Their server recognises our pre-registered sending email address(es) as legitimate, faxes the attachments, and sends us back a status email (successful / failed, etc).

It's a process simple enough for my non-techie wife to handle without stress. This is most important!

On the other hand, I am able to log on and view a list of our pending and past faxes with their statuses. I can set the number of attempts before reporting a failure, and the interval between attempts, etc. These are powerful features.

So, simplicity of everyday use please, and power features as options!

I'm now generating these new-fangled DOCX files from the latest version of Word too, so if you have the option of supporting them, it wouldn't hurt in the long run.

Good luck with it.

Howard

Post by Howard » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:49 pm

We will look into supporting more different file formats.

amitpn

Fax Service

Post by amitpn » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:50 am

Hi, i thinks its a great service, very flexible to use and technology which reduces lot of manual work. It should be not be a charged service though.

Graham C

Post by Graham C » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:04 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
infirmus wrote:Any news on porting numbers Exetel staff?
We'll look into it again once we get the basic service operational.
Can I ask an estimated timeframe of (1) The basic service commencing and (2) the gap between that and when you would 'hope' to have porting available?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:07 pm

The timeframe for the basic service is early November.

I have no update on porting.

Graham C

Post by Graham C » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:00 pm

Thanks. I will await the notification email :)

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:21 am

Bundy wrote:Thanks. I will await the notification email :)
The initial testing has been completed and the sending of an email as a fax is very easy:

you just address the email to the end user's fax number @faxservice

The production server will now be set up and then installed at the second Sydney PoP and 'test' services will be made available in early November with the full service planned to be available by mid/late November (assuming the testing is successful).

jasper_

some feedback

Post by jasper_ » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:24 am

Hi,
I noticed that the fax service appeared in my exetel account page yesterday, and did some testing. My experience so far:
One small pdf I sent was delivered without any problem.
One larger pdf (1.5 MB, scanned A4 page) did not get delivered. I tried 3 times. The first attempt seems to have been lost, I never got an email that notified me of the failure, and didn't get it.
The other 2 times the fax started to come in, but in one case it was a completely blanc page, and in the other case it just printed the top 1cm. Both these times I was notified of the failure by email.

Jasper

James D

Post by James D » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:07 am

Thank you for your feed back, we are looking into this now.

JamesR

Re: some feedback

Post by JamesR » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:09 pm

jasper_ wrote:One small pdf I sent was delivered without any problem.
I sent through a 40KB PDF, received perfectly without any problems.

It took around 5 minutes for it to receive it though, I don't know whats wrong there, I believe it's the fax program working its job.

I have no problems with it whatsoever, if implemented, I'll sure use it!
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

austdata

Post by austdata » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:26 pm

It worked for me too and I'm also looking forward to receiving fax by e-mail.

Cheers,

Mike

hornet48

Post by hornet48 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:59 pm

I tried it today and it worked OK for me too.

Response time was very fast.

H.