FAX Via Email

'Fax to Email' and 'Email to Fax' services
Tazz

Fantasic!

Post by Tazz » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:38 pm

Exetel just keeps getting better!

I wouldn't use this much, but I sure welcome the possibility to do it this way.

One more reason to stay with Exetel.

nadav33

Post by nadav33 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:49 pm

Great Idea! Internet faxing is a wonderful service. We are currently using mbox for my father's business which works perfectly well. You may want to take a look at their website (www.mbox.com.au) for some ideas. Unfortunately we wouldn't be able to move over to Exetel as our mbox fax number is now known to customers...

Some useful features which should be included:

1) Receiving and sending faxes to/from any email address
2) Sending faxes from a range of file formats including .doc, .pdf, .jpg etc.
3) Encryption of emails containing the incoming fax is very important for many businesses. Especially if faxes contain credit card numbers.
4) mbox is able to port existing numbers...I know you've already said this is probably not possible...
5) Reliability!

thanks guys!

gturner

Post by gturner » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:52 pm

Yep i think that this is even better than the sms.
What good value exetel is.
i really appreciate the extra services. Ta

sykdup

Post by sykdup » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:56 pm

Awesome idea. I would rate it as one of the best things Exetel has considered. Bring it on.

tc4101

Post by tc4101 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:58 pm

sounds good, but the top of the fax must be editable to have the senders details if the sender so desires, as per a normal fax, but especially not anything saying exetel.

4miler

Post by 4miler » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:04 pm

Study the features and pricing of www.efax.com and www.mbox.com.au and see if you can come up with something cheaper and better.

It is really important to provide number portability. It sounds contrarian, but if you provide number portability, then people feel more secure committing their e-fax number to you, because they know they're not struck with you if Exetel folds. For businesses, number portability is vital.

Clint

Sending Fax through web interface by uploading a file

Post by Clint » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:12 pm

I already use both a telstra fax service that operates like this for incoming faxes, but I'd be happy to try exetel's offering - yes I run a small business from home.
Outgoing I use winfax pro at present.
Functionallity - Though I rarely use it, when I go on holidays I take my laptop and often go to an internet cafe to download everything including my faxes, but I want a simple way to send faxes through a web interface. Telstra do this but it is both incredibly expensive and hard to use. So hard that I have to re-read pages of info every time I want to do it.
What I'd like is to log on to exetel's website, type in both the sending fax number and the receiving fax number (ie like the new sms functionallity) and then just hit send. Mostly though I'd like to be able to attach multiple files ie word docs and pdf files to the fax. It's important to be able to attach multiple files as otherwise you have to mess around with trying to combine all info in one file type - I have adobe acrobat so it's normally easy for me.

4miler

Post by 4miler » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:17 pm

I currently use www.efax.com -- and their rates are exorbitant, but a fax number is important for a business, and I don't want the fax company to go bust, then my company's fax number goes up in smoke. Hence, if you want my business, it's important to give us number portability.

I mostly use the efax.com service to receive faxes. If you were to offer a receive-only plan, where we use a fax number to receive via email, and offer that at cheap prices, I'd appreciate that.

I don't care much for sending faxes. For that, I use www.faxaway.com With them, I can fax MS Word attachments that reach their destination as faxes.

I'm not sure if Exetel is biting off a bit more than they can chew. The above operations seem rather complex, and it takes time to run an operation supporting clients fax needs. If Exetel were to offer a cheap, bare-bones service, with just fax receiving by email, with no frills other service, maybe that's a niche.

Davo2290

Post by Davo2290 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:35 pm

I'm wondering what the interface would be. Would you send an email to
"faxnumber".fax@exemail.com.au or what about "faxnumber"@exefax.com.au ?? :roll:

plumgas

Post by plumgas » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:41 pm

I currently use ozfax, costs $8.00 a month for about 30 minutes of pages.
they give you a fax number & when someone uses the number, the fax gets converted to pdf . If exetel offered this I would use exetel.

4miler

Post by 4miler » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:45 pm

The big problem with all these services is number portability. No business will use this service unless we can transfer our fax number away if Exetel (not wishing it on you) were to go belly up.

This electronic fax area needs to have the same number portability as mobile phones do. Perhaps Exetel might urge the appropriate telecom area of government to create similar number portability for electronic fax numbers.

infirmus

Post by infirmus » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:49 pm

This would be very welcome since since I can't use fax duet ADSL2+.

I would definitely need the ability to port over an existing number. I dont see why it can't be done, mBox offers number porting:

http://www.mbox.com.au/faq.php?fid=faqmessageinporting

mewnz

Post by mewnz » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:50 pm

[quote="ForumAdmin
Tell me about that service and what Exetel would need to "beat"?[/quote]

a quick visit to http://www.utbox.net/pricing/rates.html would probably answer that, I've tried Mbox too, but Utbox was much better value.

But I'm sure you guys can come up with something great too.

austdata

Post by austdata » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:59 pm

infirmus wrote:This would be very welcome since since I can't use fax duet ADSL2+.

I would definitely need the ability to port over an existing number. I dont see why it can't be done, mBox offers number porting:

http://www.mbox.com.au/faq.php?fid=faqmessageinporting
From mBoxes FAQ:
Can I use my existing number with mBox?

Yes, customers can port their existing fax number into the mBox network. Please complete the mBox Porting Form (Word Doc 78k) and then fax it back to us on (08) 9488 9501, there is a $65 porting charge to move it from your existing provider into the mBox network.
For $65 Exetel could probably do it too. Heck, for $65 I might be able to do it for you. :twisted:

edit: There is a charge to take the number out of the mBox pool too.

Cheers,

Mike

an Sealgair

Post by an Sealgair » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:09 pm

Yep, I like this idea, after being charged $4 by the post office last year to send a 1-page fax.