FAX Via Email

'Fax to Email' and 'Email to Fax' services
ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:28 pm

waiting wrote:Great. Is the 2-3c really "per fax"? Or is it per page?
Per fax.

johnt107

Faxing

Post by johnt107 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:59 pm

Hi,
Please make the outgoing fax service accept Word docs, email (text and HTML) and/or PDFs. Some services restrict the fax to a PDF file which is too much hassle. The current service I've seen is ozefax.com.au which accepts most file types to send as fax.

Will the fax be international outgoing as well?

Rgds, John T.

Mort

Post by Mort » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:09 pm

austdata wrote: Hmm, have you thought of getting two ADSL accounts and linking them? :wink:
It had already occured to me :D but I coudn't afford it :(

But actually, I have two lines so I could do just that if I couldn't do a "fast churn" to ADSL2, but as it turns out Optus can't get their act together for their provisioning system to port my number back to them, so this fax solution might at least give me another option to move things around.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

Howard

Post by Howard » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:32 am

Wiggan wrote: 2. All incoming faxes are received as e-mail either in TIFF or PDF format.
This will be ttif.
Wiggan wrote: 3. After tx’ing a fax. A report is sent back to your e-mail advising that your fax has or has not been transmitted by the Faxing server. This is an important feature. Most people think that when they have clicked on the SEND button, the fax has been delivered. This is not so, the remote faxing server still has to dial the client and transmit the document. As we well know it could be incorrect number, busy line, error with remote fax machine.
4. Fax log...tri-tel offers this on all their services. If there is a dispute as to when you have rx'd or tx'd on a particular service, you have evidence because of the time stamps.
5. When you install the program, a printer driver is added, which acts as your fax machine.
6. The following is the only function that nobody has been able to provided. Re-directing a fax to another number after it has been sent. Do you know how many times people have given me the incorrect fax number. The current solution is to re-do the documents and send to another number. Tri-tel currently allows you resend and existing fax form the fax log register....click on the log entry and click on send button. But it lacks the ability to re-send, that fax log entry to another number.
7. A SMS is sent to you after you have received a fax. This is great when you are on the road and awaiting an important fax.
8. Tri-Tel allows you to design your own cover sheet which is automatically sent with the documents.
These are good suggestions and we will look into these features as well.

Howard

Re: Faxing

Post by Howard » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:33 am

johnt107 wrote:Hi,
Please make the outgoing fax service accept Word docs, email (text and HTML) and/or PDFs. Some services restrict the fax to a PDF file which is too much hassle. The current service I've seen is ozefax.com.au which accepts most file types to send as fax.
Rgds, John T.
It will accept Word docs, ttif and PDF. We will look into possibilities for other format.

leigh308

Attention: ME!

Post by leigh308 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:50 am

I'd like to get faxes sent as email to the person identified by Attention: <sum1> in the fax header, within our organisation. Is this possible? ( I understand that I need to establish email addresses that link to these people. And I can see how to write the code to read the header) Thanks

Aah Kay

Post by Aah Kay » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:55 am

Hello, your fax service sounds good.

Any idea what the "small" charge per month for a fax number would be?

Would you consider an Openoffice document format?

regards, Roland

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:05 pm

PDFs are easy to generate though, I can think of a few applications that can generate PDFs and simply install themselves as virtual printers (which is what Adobe PDF does anyway).

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:39 pm

Good idea, but it would depend on the price. Currently I use voip for my home phone, and have the computer's built-in fax connected to the "old landline" as my fax for both incoming and outgoing.

Both methods save a lot of paper by not automatically printing "spam" faxes, and also not printing things just to be faxed. Hopefully an attached document (pdf, doc etc) would be able to be faxed from this service.

trissy

Post by trissy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:31 pm

What about similar features to Optus' SureFax? (Click here for details)

Whereby the fax is stored, and an SMS message is sent to notify you that you have a fax waiting. You can then elect to have the fax forwarded to a fax machine, emailed to you, or continue to store it until you have the ability to retrieve it. When I am on the road for extended periods of time, this is brilliant.

eg. on a customers site, and needed a form or diagram sent to me. I dont have to give the customers fax number, or I can even request it before I arrive onsite, and then once onsite, I can forward it to their fax machine.
Tristan.

SpaceMonkey

Post by SpaceMonkey » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:08 pm

Fantastic idea. Like most others here I think faxes are an annoying, outmoded technology, but a lot of businesses still seem to require them. As someone whose been using broadband exclusively for the last 5 years or so I don;'t even have a dial-up modem left in my household so I can't send or receive via a phone line any more. I think most of the other respondents have covered the things that would be on my wants list-

-Mac compatible or platform independent
-reasonable choice of attachment types (word/pdf/tiff is good)
-confirmations of sucessful or unsucessful transmissions via email- plus the ability to choose whether to receive either, for some users I imagine they probably aren't too worried about being notified that a fax was sucessfully sent, but definitely need to know if a transmission was unsucessful so they can retry.
-some facility for occaisional incoming faxes on a per-fax cost would be fantastic- I simply don't ned to receive faxes often enough to justify subscribing to anything on a regular basis for that capability.

infirmus

Post by infirmus » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:55 pm

austdata wrote: From mBoxes FAQ:
Can I use my existing number with mBox?

Yes, customers can port their existing fax number into the mBox network. Please complete the mBox Porting Form (Word Doc 78k) and then fax it back to us on (08) 9488 9501, there is a $65 porting charge to move it from your existing provider into the mBox network.
For $65 Exetel could probably do it too. Heck, for $65 I might be able to do it for you. :twisted:
Any news on porting numbers Exetel staff?
Obviously there would be a charge involved.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:06 pm

infirmus wrote:
austdata wrote: From mBoxes FAQ:
Can I use my existing number with mBox?

Yes, customers can port their existing fax number into the mBox network. Please complete the mBox Porting Form (Word Doc 78k) and then fax it back to us on (08) 9488 9501, there is a $65 porting charge to move it from your existing provider into the mBox network.
For $65 Exetel could probably do it too. Heck, for $65 I might be able to do it for you. :twisted:
Any news on porting numbers Exetel staff?
We are not able to do that.

infirmus

Post by infirmus » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:41 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Any news on porting numbers Exetel staff?
We are not able to do that.[/quote]
Whats the reason for that? Telstra playing silly buggers? It seems a bit odd that mBox can do it, but you guys cant seeing Exetel is more of a full blown telco than mBox.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:59 pm

infirmus wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:Any news on porting numbers Exetel staff?
We are not able to do that.
Whats the reason for that? Telstra playing silly buggers? It seems a bit odd that mBox can do it, but you guys cant seeing Exetel is more of a full blown telco than mBox.[/quote]

We'll look into it again once we get the basic service operational.