Receiving Incoming Faxes

'Fax to Email' and 'Email to Fax' services
ForumAdmin

Receiving Incoming Faxes

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:25 am

We have begun the work required to allow users to have a 'fax number' that they can receive faxes on.

We can't "port" a current fax number to the service but we will be able to provide a DID that can be used to receive faxes - assuming our plans work out.

If you have any other suggestions for improving the fax via email service please let us know in this thread.

hornet48

Post by hornet48 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:43 am

I have suggested elsewhere that a desktop fax application (similar to exesms) would be useful.

I have used hylafax with oztell's email-to-fax service, maybe it could be configured to work with Exetel's system?

William M

Post by William M » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:57 am

Hi Hornet,

I don't really see the benefit in providing a desktop fax application similar to exeSMS since the premise of email to fax is that it is sent from your email client which, for a lot of business customers is their main source/interface for communication.

Creating a different interface while only really only recreating the functions of a mail client doesn't seem attractive to do so.

But, as always, if there enough support for it through the forums it will be looked into further.

Thanks Will

peter_mcc

Post by peter_mcc » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:31 am

Any idea how much it will cost for an incoming fax number?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:38 am

peter_mcc wrote:Any idea how much it will cost for an incoming fax number?
Something like $1.00 a month I would have thought.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:39 am

hornet48 wrote:I have suggested elsewhere that a desktop fax application (similar to exesms) would be useful.

I have used hylafax with oztell's email-to-fax service, maybe it could be configured to work with Exetel's system?
It shouldn't be difficult to do that so we'll add it to the list.

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:03 pm

Personally i wouldn't see the benifit of having a desktop gui for this.
Why you may ask?
Well for one not every os thats used on the Exetel ISP subscriber base is a windows os. You have Mac and also *nix.
And lets not mention the differences in Visa and XP (i had my first taste of Vista on a new system i bought - gparted and Ubuntu went straight on it thankyou)

So who will focus on a GUI for three different OS's? Not to mention the amount of helpdesk hours of support (although *nix users don't need much tech support - if any).

Now back on topic ...

It might be easier for the Fax via Email system to recoginse the text within a subject for the outgoing fax number, or for the number within the addressed outgoing email like 0298765432@whatever.com.au, and the fax number is 0298765432 for the outgoing fax.

Just some ideas if they haven't already been touched on yet in previous/other topics.

CordlezToaster

Post by CordlezToaster » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:26 pm

so to have this function it will cost me $1.00 a month? i like this.

How about you just create a web front end? then its compatable across all platforms

bradatschs

Receiving Fax Via E-mail

Post by bradatschs » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:27 pm

Receiving fax via e-mail would be very helpful. When can we have it ? Currently my fax machine can not make up it's minds what type of calls it receives and needs to be reset every so often. I'm sure a lot of exetel customers have the same problem.

jeromyevans

Receiving Fax Via E-mail

Post by jeromyevans » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:43 pm

I'll pay for this. More even.

Could you please allow us to specify which email address the fax is forwarded to rather than limiting it to myaddress@exemail.com.au. I typically use @exemail only for correspondence with exetel (as I pay for email hosting with you guys too)

Any information about the fax that you can include in the email body would be appreciated
eg. from number, from name, timestamp, pages etc

Reusing the address book from your SMS functions would be helpful too.

I have no interest in a deskop version unless you develop it (and the sms version) as a Google Gadget or Yahoo widget.

William M

Post by William M » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:47 pm

The most likely scenario is that when a Fax via Email number is registered, you will be required to enter a forward email address which can be any email address.

Restricting the forward to email address to @exemail.com.au addresses only wouldn't be beneficial.

antonio

Post by antonio » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:01 pm

CordlezToaster wrote:so to have this function it will cost me $1.00 a month? i like this.

How about you just create a web front end? then its compatable across all platforms

I would second these ideas. I use Ubuntu Linux and receive my faxes via Mbox Service, so a GUI would be useless to me.

I have looked into receiving faxes via viop (Foip) system, however all the information I find - asterisk etc, suggests that you cannot depend on it?

At $1 per month I would certainly be interested.

MarcusAureliusMaxima

Post by MarcusAureliusMaxima » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:10 pm

hornet48 wrote:I have suggested elsewhere that a desktop fax application (similar to exesms) would be useful.

I would have though it would be a better option to provide a printer driver which sends faxes via the exetel system??

That way people who are working from wifi hotspots or in locations without access to a FAX enable multi-function device can still send faxes.

Dr_Snapid

Let me in

Post by Dr_Snapid » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:11 pm

I would drop my Mbox and use exetel if they had this.

I use Ubuntu, and Gmail is my mail client. All I want is my faxes to come to my gmail in a PDF thanks. No GUI. Nothing to install.

Thanks Exetel for keeping such open mindedness, these unique add ons are a key reason I am a staunch exetel supporter.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Dr_Snapid

Post by Dr_Snapid » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:12 pm

MarcusAureliusMaxima wrote:

I would have though it would be a better option to provide a printer driver which sends faxes via the exetel system??

That way people who are working from wifi hotspots or in locations without access to a FAX enable multi-function device can still send faxes.
Guys, the topic here is receiving faxes. Not sending them.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.