Receiving Incoming Faxes

'Fax to Email' and 'Email to Fax' services
mrsa

Post by mrsa » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:22 pm

Are we talking about "fax to fax" or "email to fax"?

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:29 pm

mrsa wrote:Are we talking about "fax to fax" or "email to fax"?
The ability to receive a fax, and to have that fax "pressed" into a document type (like PDF), and emailed to you.

EG - I'm standing at a fax machine, i dial your Fax DID number (that Exetel supplied, and your paying for). The fax machine goes through its process (on my end) and reports fax transmission sucessful.

On your end the Exetel system will convert that fax into a document, and email it to an email address that you have specified within a settings page via an order form or Users Area.

But also having a DID can also mean that you could also use the same service to send faxes via the DID Fax number supplied/rented through Exetel.

Reader

Post by Reader » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:33 pm

I have used an existing Aussie fax-to-email / email-to-fax service for some time now and it is very efficient. I paid $60 for 1yr subscription and that covers faxes up to that cost and an allocated fax number.

Sending a fax within Australia and to about 50 most popular counties costs 15c /page and receiving costs 5c /page. More for other countries.

When you think it saves fax line rent from Telstra and saves the cost of calls, machine purchase, fax paper, repair etc it is good.

Incoming faxes are in pdf format email attachments and this is the area where differences in providers could be important. The one I have provides good clear high contrast images with a full A4 page of text with graphic header being about 55kb pdf. And it is fast.

Outgoing faxes are the body of my emails to faxnumber@faxprovider.net which they send as a fax to the faxnumber machine.

antonio

Post by antonio » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:38 pm

I am also a little confused by this thread.

The current exetel email to fax service is ideal for me to send faxes.

All that remains is a system to receive faxes as PDF's from businesses that insist on using clunky fax machines.
Ideally to use the DID of my next naked ADSL2+ plan.

No desktop software is required-over a normal email client.

mrsa

Post by mrsa » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:43 pm

Thanks Spanner_Man, very well explained! :D

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:46 pm

antonio wrote:I am also a little confused by this thread.

The current exetel email to fax service is ideal for me to send faxes.

All that remains is a system to receive faxes as PDF's from businesses that insist on using clunky fax machines.
Ideally to use the DID of my next naked ADSL2+ plan.

No desktop software is required-over a normal email client.
The thread was raised to gauge interest in a mechanism to receive faxes, exactly as you state, so that, once it is all up and running, you can send faxes from your email client, and can receive faxes sent to a DID, in your email client.

It got a little off-topic :)

plumgas

Post by plumgas » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:15 pm

yes I currently use oz fax - fax to email. They give you a fax number to give out for faxes & it comes to your email box as a pdf, geat when I am working from home. With exetel's other service I can also sent as fax back to my office fax machine. So if exetel have both incoming & outgoing service I wpuld cancel oz fax. Setup fee for fax number I paid $20.00 & $8.00 month for 30mins of faxes.

Most months I don't send a fax so I am wasting $8.00.

tohagan

Do get two DIDs or one if using VoIP + Incoming Fax

Post by tohagan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:56 pm

In other words, will the VoIP DID autodetect a Fax?

tohagan

Exetel <=> Exetel faxing should be free.

Post by tohagan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:06 pm

An Exetel outgoing Fax (sent via email) should really not be charged the 3c if the destination is to a Exetel incoming Fax DID since no real fax needs to be sent or received since it just forwards the email. This will encourage customer loyalty and induce us to get our faxing business friends to join up 8) .

BTW, I also think that it makes most sense to treat in and out faxing uniformly and hence do both via email as the case above shows. No need for any other Web GUIs or desktop apps. This just adds to complexity and inevitable ongoing support costs that increases the price.

antonio

Post by antonio » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:00 pm

Charging 3c or not is not going to make one scrap of difference to my business dealings. I believe anyone who opts to use fax, when they have a choice to send an email deserves to be charged 3c.

For me receiving them is the most important requirement of my business, as my purchase orders come in by fax. I would expect in the long term they will be replaced with scanners that convert directly to PDF to email.

hornet48

Re: Do get two DIDs or one if using VoIP + Incoming Fax

Post by hornet48 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:54 pm

tohagan wrote:In other words, will the VoIP DID autodetect a Fax?
In the past I have had DID's which recognize faxes (from Koala and Oztel).

So it is possible.

Question is: whether Exetels system can do so?

hornet48

Post by hornet48 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:00 pm

Klaas wrote:It got a little off-topic :)
I raised the GUI issue, as I understood the initial post to invite discussion on any issue relating to Fax via Email.

Obviously we interpreted this differently.

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:49 pm

In guessing, which someone from Exetel may like to confirm, that the Fax DID will terminate at Exetel not at your own premises, so you will not need to worry about autodetecting faxes.

After all, it is described as Receiving Fax via e-mail so Exetel will receive it and convert it to I imagine a PDF and e-mail it to you, all automatically.

rrdesign

Post by rrdesign » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:32 pm

I think this is a great idea. I dumped my fax line because it wasn't worth the $30 a month I had to pay tel$tra. But $1 a month to be able to accommodate the odd Luddite is great value. PDF or JPEG files would be fine.

danmac

Post by danmac » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:58 pm

great idea. i have been waiting for this. Telstra phoned yhis week and offered to match exetel email package, but i refused because of the exras you guys offer. Fax top email is key for me. Love your work!