Receiving Incoming Faxes

'Fax to Email' and 'Email to Fax' services
hornet48

Post by hornet48 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:27 pm

Aquard wrote:Anyway to combine VOIP and Fax-receive on the one DID?
That's exactly what I had with 2 other providers last year.

William M

Post by William M » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:39 am

Ie, I have a VOIP plan and pay $5/month. Anyway to use this number as the fax did number?
I'm guessing no.

The next question is if fax DIDs are $1/month, any plan to lower the $5 for VOIP DIDs?
Unfortunately your assumption is correct in that your VOIP DID cannot be used as your both your VOIP number and Fax number.

Also, currently there are no plans to lower the cost of VOIP plans.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:54 am

Aquard wrote:
The next question is if fax DIDs are $1/month, any plan to lower the $5 for VOIP DIDs?
The VoIP DID price will be revised by the end of February.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:55 am

hornet48 wrote:
I don't know why that can't be done by Exetel.

I'll look into it.

Aquard

Post by Aquard » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:45 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
hornet48 wrote:

I'll look into it.
Awesome. The concept of an all-in-one number appeals greatly.

gondy

Post by gondy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:48 pm

Just signed up yesterday for this service - great stuff. I've been looking to ditch my duet line for ages. Some quick queries, hopefully on topic:

1. When I sent a test fax via a physical fax machine to my DID 02 610099XX I heard STD beeps. Is that normal? (And I'm in Sydney.) Is Tel$tra charging STD rates?

2. Currently my home number ends in 447X and my my duet in 4422. If I ask tel$tra to keep the duet number as the physical line and switch the adsl codes over to it am I going to have problems with exetel from a provisioning point of view?

Cheers
That's my 2¢, which these days gets rounded to zero!

mikesander

Post by mikesander » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:24 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
hornet48 wrote:

I'll look into it.
I have set this up in the past.

It sounds like Exetel is using a VoIP Softswitch for their VoIP and Asterisk for their Voip related services (including the non-voip calling cards etc etc). The voice prompts sound like Asterisk applications.

Incoming faxes via Asterisk is a standard app, and works beautifully when the call comes in on a PSTN/ISDN line - i.e. a physical line. However if the call comes in over voip (i.e. on a cross-connect from someone elses softswitch), then they need to use an asterisk application called NVFaxDetect, which takes a couple of seconds to detect the fax, and doesn't work all that well in my experience.

Also, fax comes in to the VoIP DID - gets compressed using G729, which stuffs up the fax.

In order for this to work, the softswitch would need to pass the fax through to the asterisk box using a high-quality, no-loss compression, and then asterisk might have a better hope of detecting it.

I'm I right off the point here, or I think I've just confused the issue????

Mike

hornet48

Post by hornet48 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:16 am

mikesander wrote:
... However if the call comes in over voip (i.e. on a cross-connect from someone elses softswitch), then they need to use an asterisk application called NVFaxDetect, which takes a couple of seconds to detect the fax, and doesn't work all that well in my experience.
With my previous provider I ended up keeping the fax and voip DIDs separate so that there was no "delay" when receiving the Voip calls.

At today's even lower DID charges, it is not a significant cost burden.

Regards,

Harry.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:01 am

mikesander wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
hornet48 wrote: That's exactly what I had with 2 other providers last year.

I'll look into it.
I have set this up in the past.

It sounds like Exetel is using a VoIP Softswitch for their VoIP and Asterisk for their Voip related services (including the non-voip calling cards etc etc). The voice prompts sound like Asterisk applications.

Incoming faxes via Asterisk is a standard app, and works beautifully when the call comes in on a PSTN/ISDN line - i.e. a physical line. However if the call comes in over voip (i.e. on a cross-connect from someone elses softswitch), then they need to use an asterisk application called NVFaxDetect, which takes a couple of seconds to detect the fax, and doesn't work all that well in my experience.

Also, fax comes in to the VoIP DID - gets compressed using G729, which stuffs up the fax.

In order for this to work, the softswitch would need to pass the fax through to the asterisk box using a high-quality, no-loss compression, and then asterisk might have a better hope of detecting it.

I'm I right off the point here, or I think I've just confused the issue????

Mike
Thank you - I knew there had to be a reason.

Asterisk is a really great system/service but it is a long learning curve and we've only been using it for around two years.

gondy

Post by gondy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:51 am

gondy wrote:Just signed up yesterday for this service - great stuff. I've been looking to ditch my duet line for ages. Some quick queries, hopefully on topic:

1. When I sent a test fax via a physical fax machine to my DID 02 610099XX I heard STD beeps. Is that normal? (And I'm in Sydney.) Is Tel$tra charging STD rates?

2. Currently my home number ends in 447X and my my duet in 4422. If I ask tel$tra to keep the duet number as the physical line and switch the adsl codes over to it am I going to have problems with exetel from a provisioning point of view?

Cheers
Anyone, anyone, Bueller??

I've tried looking up my unbilled tel$ra calls, but their system has been down or playing up since last Thu. I currently get "no information available" on all my bills. Wish I could move by telco over to exetel, but work pays for the ISP a/c and I can't combine my personal phone line... aaargh.
That's my 2¢, which these days gets rounded to zero!

Nick U

Email Delay

Post by Nick U » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:07 pm

I just activated the FAX to Email Service and have sent three test faxes.

I am very excited about this feature as it allows our staff to receive faxes while on the road.

I have noticed that it can take 20 mins for the fax to be processed and delivered to us. Is there any chance of speeding this up?

People around here have a tendency to wait at the fax machine for that really urgent fax.

Other than that a really good service. Thank you Exetel.

William M

Post by William M » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:11 pm

Hi,

Can you tell me how big the file you sent through was? As it may factor in the delivery time length. Also, the sustainable rate the destination fax can handle may also factor in the delivery time.

Cheers Will.

Nick U

Post by Nick U » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:03 pm

Here are the details:

Sender: 029262xxxx
Pages: 1
Quality: Normal
Size: ISO A4
Received: 2008:02:18 11:12:47
Time To Receive: 0:00:25
Signal Rate: 14400 bit/s
Data Format: 2-D MMR
Error Correct: Yes
CallID1: 029262xxxx
CallID2:
CallID3: <NONE>
CallID4: 028205xxxx
Received On: ttyIAX0
CommID: c000003744

It reached our Mail Server at 11:39AM.

Thanks.

William M

Post by William M » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:10 pm

Hi,

Can you PM me your details so I can check the mail server?

Thanks Will

Nick U

Post by Nick U » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:15 pm

Just looking at the headers, it appears the delay is coming from brazilnut.exetel.com.au.

Received: from brazilnut.exetel.com.au (brazilnut.exetel.com.au [220.233.0.14])
by xxx.com.au (Postfix) with ESMTP
id 002695EB7FB3; Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:39:33 +1100 (EST)
Received: from genip.exetel.com.au ([58.96.1.5])
by brazilnut.exetel.com.au with esmtp (Exim 4.68)
(envelope-from <fax@exetel.com.au>)
id 1JQtd5-0000IS-7j; Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:13:07 +1100

Is this a result of a high outgoing queue on brazilnut?