Fax Confirmation Emails

'Fax to Email' and 'Email to Fax' services
BZ

Fax Confirmation Emails

Post by BZ » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:47 pm

With a normal fax machine the confirmation page sometimes contains the first page of the sent fax as a record of what you sent.

I would like to see the pdf you emailed contained in the confirmation email so you can keep that as a record of what was faxed. specially if I had sent the fax from work or an internet kiosk.

Can this be added?

William M

Post by William M » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:24 am

Isn't it redundant to do so since your the person who sent the fax.

A copy of your email will be saved in your sent items.

BZ

Post by BZ » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:45 am

No.

Because I might send several faxes to the same number. I need to know confirmation which one got through.

I would presume that just returning the same pdf with the confirmation would be the easiest code fix to resolve the problem.

Picture this, when I send a fax using a fax machine I like to attach the confirmation page to the original so I have a record that it was sent and a copy of the cover sheet on the confirmation page give me assurance that the confirmation relates to that fax.

I'm just after the same thing via your email2fax solution.

William M

Post by William M » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:44 am

Since there is a three step process of the receiving email, processing the fax and receiving delivery notification you presume that a copy of attachments are kept after the fax is sent to the fax server for processing.

Also, sending each pdf attachment back out would place unnecessary load on the server to handle the request.

Since your sending to the same number, it can only be done sequentially. Each fax sent successfully is given a unique ID as well as being able to differentiate faxes by the time you sent them.

BZ

Post by BZ » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:07 pm

I'm not presuming anything other than returning the whole pdf would be easier than just the first page.

Is what I'm asking unreasonable?

William M

Post by William M » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:21 pm

Unreasonable is not the reason why I haven't implemented your suggestion.

The reasons behind your requests are redundant and seem to be met by the current system making it an unnecessary addition.

Aquard

Post by Aquard » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:33 pm

Would it be possible, thinking aloud here, to add a user specified keyword or reference to the subject line following the password, that could be included in the confirmation email?

Ie;
To: fax#@exe...
Subject: <password> Ref Blah Blah

Then the confirmation email could include that:
Your Email 2 Fax has successfully been sent.
To: ########
At: 2008-01-14 11:30:01
Job ID: 1282
Subject: <p/w> Ref Blah Blah
Thank you for using Exetel Email 2 Fax.

Thoughts?

William M

Post by William M » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:47 pm

The first issue that arises is choosing a unique and reasonable character to differentiate what is the password and what is the subject.

From the password we've stored, not all characters contained within a password are A-Z 0-9. Such as @#!~.*

Aquard

Post by Aquard » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:20 am

William M wrote:The first issue that arises is choosing a unique and reasonable character to differentiate what is the password and what is the subject.

From the password we've stored, not all characters contained within a password are A-Z 0-9. Such as @#!~.*
As long as there are no spaces in a password, couldn't the system extract the first word from the subject line?

William M

Post by William M » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:21 am

Aquard wrote:
William M wrote:The first issue that arises is choosing a unique and reasonable character to differentiate what is the password and what is the subject.

As long as there are no spaces in a password, couldn't the system extract the first word from the subject line?
Unfortunately spaces are included within some passwords.

Moonman

Post by Moonman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:39 pm

What if the message to be returned with the confirmation was included in the body of the email?

William M

Post by William M » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:49 am

The problem with that method is that the body of the email can be the fax message, in which case it would be even more complex to differentiate the fax message and confirmation message from each other.

Moonman

Post by Moonman » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:25 pm

William M wrote:The problem with that method is that the body of the email can be the fax message, in which case it would be even more complex to differentiate the fax message and confirmation message from each other.
Oh yes indeed. I did forget that you don't have to have an attachment.

Silly me!

dsc68

Post by dsc68 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:24 pm

William M wrote:The problem with that method is that the body of the email can be the fax message, in which case it would be even more complex to differentiate the fax message and confirmation message from each other.
Actually, that is not a problem because email messages can have other email messages as attachments.

William M

Post by William M » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:11 am

Sorry, I can't understand the point your trying to point out?

Are you trying to saying that a person send their message as an attachment rather than in the body of the email?