Fax Confirmation Emails

'Fax to Email' and 'Email to Fax' services
dsc68

Post by dsc68 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:38 am

What I mean is that the original email can be attached to the reply email as an attachment.

I appreciate that it would mean extra load on the servers but it is technically feasible.

You previously asked why it is necessary to send back this type of confirmation. Let me give you some scenarios:

1. This weekend is a good example. It appears that the fax server failed over the weekend. I sent a number of faxes during Sunday and nothing happened. This morning I got some confirmation messages but they are timestamped with this morning's time and there is no way to work out which ones were successful and which ones were not.

2. I deal with a number of clients who share the same fax number. I often send them the same fax but personalised to each recipient. As there is no guarantee that my email system will deliver the fax emails in the same order in which I've sent them due to possible transient problems, I can't be sure which confirmation message corresponds to which fax message. In addition, there is usually a couple of minutes difference in the time the message was sent and the time on the confirmation of when the fax was sent. If I am sending out a number of faxes in a short time period these times start to overlap and there is no way to positively match the request to the confirmation.

William M

Post by William M » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:50 am

Again, your presuming a copy of the attachment is kept after the fax is sent.

I believe providing a subject to each fax would be more feasible. I'll be planning to implement this over the next few coming days.

Moonman

Post by Moonman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:06 pm

William M wrote:I'll be planning to implement this over the next few coming days.
I would've thought it would be easier to make the email body be returned. Just make it so that for something to get sent, it has to be an attachment (ie - if not attachment, the body of the email doesn't get faxed. Nothing does).

ootweb

Re: Fax Confirmation Emails

Post by ootweb » Mon May 12, 2008 4:15 pm

is it possible to have subject name on the confirmation emails

Your Email 2 Fax has successfully been sent.

To: 0249547848
At: 2008-05-02 11:17:01
Job ID: 7139
Subject: ?????

Thank you for using Exetel Email 2 Fax.

William M

Post by William M » Mon May 12, 2008 4:17 pm

Its possible but your subject line is your password so it wouldn't be very useful.

Cheers Will

ootweb

Post by ootweb » Mon May 12, 2008 4:20 pm

it's not a good day,
i mean't attached filename

we have integrated the feature into our work software package and have about 20 users sending emails and if one fails other than the fax number it is hard to track, the pdf is created with a purchase order, invoice number etc so if the confirmation displayed the attached filename would be good.

cheers

William M

Post by William M » Mon May 12, 2008 4:37 pm

That makes more sense, though the filename when emailed is ignored completed and not stored.
Only the file type is what is parsed and used.

The previous mentioned description system is still on the cards for implementation. As soon as development time is available, I'll implement it as it seems to be what you need.

Cheers Will

darylp

Post by darylp » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:21 pm

William M wrote:That makes more sense, though the filename when emailed is ignored completed and not stored.
Only the file type is what is parsed and used.

The previous mentioned description system is still on the cards for implementation. As soon as development time is available, I'll implement it as it seems to be what you need.

Cheers Will
Hi Will,
Yes, this would be very useful:- having the sending email subject passed to the confirmation email.

William M

Post by William M » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:03 pm

It definitely is, I'll let you all know when it is available.

Cheers Will