No faxing is working for me.

'Fax to Email' and 'Email to Fax' services
Mort

No faxing is working for me.

Post by Mort » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:44 pm

Greetings,

I've just tried sending out some faxes, both to my new exetel DID fax number and my soon to be decommisioned "real" fax number.

I tried sending a XLS attachment, but it bounced back saying it wasn't a suitable format or the number was wrong. The FAQ does state that XLS docs are supposed to be supported.

I tried a PDF attachment, and it bounced back with the same message

And when I sent a plain text message in the body of an email, I heard my fax machine answer the call, but there didn't appear to be any connection attempt by a fax machine on the other end at all. After that, I then got this message
Possible Reasons for Failure:
- Recipient Fax was engaged/busy
- No answer from destination fax number
- Recipient Fax was unable to obtain sustainable transmission rate
I know the number wasn't busy as I'm sitting right here beside it, and I didn't even hear the calling fax machine try to establish a sync at all. I sent a fax to this same number on Tuesday and it worked ok then.

Is there anything else I need to check or validate first?
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

Mort

Post by Mort » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:43 pm

Just sent a fax from my "real" fax to my Exetel DID fax and that worked fine btw.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

William M

Post by William M » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:43 am

Can you PM me the number you were sending and your ADSL number so I can check?

Mort

Post by Mort » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:58 pm

OK, just doing some more testing and thought I'd figured out the problem, but then...

I sent a fax with just text in my email body - SENT OK
Sent a fax with a test PDF from Adobe.com - SENT OK
Sent a fax with an XLS file - SENT OK
Sent a fax with a PDF generated by Office 2007 - SENT OK

Then I realised that in the tests with attachments above, I had also put a small message in the body of the email. In the fax, the attechment is the only thing that gets processed and sent (as expected), but when I resent the *same* attachment on its own with NO text in the email body, it failed!

So, thinking it was some quirk, I resent a previously successful message, with text in the body as I did in the first test, but it FAILED! This was the exact same message that worked just 1 hour earlier...

It looks like every fax I try sending is failing again now, even though they worked an hour ago :(

Also, it would appear that the fax system is only sending notifications and the received faxes every 20 minutes (polling cycle?)?

I sent 4 faxes from 15:11 to 15:16, but had to wait until 15:40 on the dot when all the received faxes (to my Exetel DID number) and the notification messages came in at the same time. While I don't expect the fax system to be as "real time" as email, waiting 20 minutes for a received fax or notification is a bit too long. Having someone on the phone going "Have you got it yet?" for 20 minutes isn't cool.

Mort

Post by Mort » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:13 pm

Just got the "FAILED" notification emails, but it looks ilke it didn't fail because of the attachments!
Sent At Approx: 2008-01-19 15:44:01

Possible Reasons for Failure:
- Recipient Fax was engaged/busy
- No answer from destination fax number
- Recipient Fax was unable to obtain sustainable transmission rate
So, now I have a new (and probably bigger issue).
The number these were sent to is my Exetel DID fax number, so is there some issue where it won't receive faxes sometimes? In this case, I'm sending from the Mail2Fax system to the Exetel DID system, so I would assume there weren't system incompatibilities.

William M

Post by William M » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:41 am

The polling cycle is not 20 minutes. Given that fact that 4 faxes were sent to the same Fax DID number within quick succession, using the the Email2Fax and FaxToEmail service, the process is internal and was processed as one bulk process hence the delay of notification.

Normally faxes notifications are sent within 5 minutes or less of sending, taking into account time taken to send through the file itself.

I've sent through a couple test messages all of which have gone through. Strangely enough, the current system error notification in place for fax2email operates the same way as you have described and no error was triggered.

Is it possible to try your fax DID number as it may be linked to that number?

Mort

Post by Mort » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:35 pm

William M wrote:The polling cycle is not 20 minutes. Given that fact that 4 faxes were sent to the same Fax DID number within quick succession, using the the Email2Fax and FaxToEmail service, the process is internal and was processed as one bulk process hence the delay of notification.
Interesting, but that does seem a bit odd that the notifications didn't come through for so long. Even later tests with only one or two still took a long time for the notification. I'll see how it goes when I do more tests.
William M wrote: Is it possible to try your fax DID number as it may be linked to that number?
I have previously used a "real" fax to send to the DID fax number and I haven't had any problems with that so far. I will try a few more to make sure.

So far, the issues I have had seem to be with processing the attachments on the Email2Fax, and the actual sending/connection when those faxes are attempted to be sent.

Luckily at $0.03 it's not going to cost me a fortune to test :)