All faxes fail due to invalid attachment

'Fax to Email' and 'Email to Fax' services
adrumm

All faxes fail due to invalid attachment

Post by adrumm » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:36 pm

Whenever I send a fax, it fails due to invalid attachment, even when I only put body text (no attachment). Area code is included in phone number, including 0 as prefix

I am using outlook 07, via an exim4 mta which sends mail through exetel's email server via the smarthost setup (forced due to hotmail which won't deliver messages sent directly via SMTP)

Any ideas why?

hornet48

Post by hornet48 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:26 pm

I successfully send faxes using exetel, this way:

1. Send email to 02xxxxxxxx@fax.exemail.com.au

2. Password ##### in Subject

3. Attach pdf file

Hope that helps.

Harry.

Mort

Post by Mort » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:12 am

I'm having the same problem.

Anything I send with PDF or XLS fails, but if I send with just text in the email body that will work.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

adrumm

Post by adrumm » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:30 am

But I can't even get it to work with body text! (and yes, I have the fax number formatted and the password in the subject line)

hornet48

Post by hornet48 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:49 am

Further to your continuing problems above....

I sent a "test" fax successfully this morning.

The fax consisted of an attached pdf only..... and that was how I received it.

So at least I can report that exetel's email-to-fax system is working OK.

One thing you might check..... is your "outwards" email address correctly registered with Exetel?

(I use a number of different email addresses, but Thunderbird, my email program, uses my gmail account to send all emails.)

Regards,

Harry.

Mort

Post by Mort » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:45 pm

You get a different message if the email address isn't registered. Something like "fax not sent due to security".

The fact it does work sometimes indicates we must be formatting it properly. The attachment thing seems to be the main issue it would appear.

Perhaps it's something to do with the email format? Outlook by default send emails as HTML or Rich Text... I might test that and see if forcing Plain Text makes a difference for the attachments.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:50 pm

What program are you using to create the PDF. This thread reports using PDFCREATOR and having some problems. What about trying other formats, such as JPG or GIF to test?

Also, just for completeness, Mort's original post can be found under http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=25116. Not sure if posters want to continue diagnosing the issue in this thread, or that one.

Mort

Post by Mort » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:52 pm

I tried jpg as well, no difference. I PM'd William about it but haven't heard anything back as yet.

Anyway, I'm going back to my thread now so I will stop hijacking this one :)

adrumm

Post by adrumm » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:29 pm

I had tried before, but I tried another message with message type set to plain text - and it failed too. I tried another phone number as well. It must be a peculiarity of my email system - perhaps another attachment is being added somewhere. Does anyone else use outlook 07?

Mort

Post by Mort » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:31 pm

I'm using 07 as well, which is why I was thinking the "plain text" option.. however I've just done some more tests and have discovered something interesting... waiting for the faxes to come in to confirm.

adrumm

Post by adrumm » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:12 pm

I sent another fax using plain text and this time it did work. I'll try another pdf generated using cups2pdf instead of microsoft's pdf generator and see whether that works.

Mort

Post by Mort » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:37 pm

Microsofts PDF generator works fine... there's some issue with the fax system I think that causes it to lock up or lose the plot sometime... check my thread for the tests I've done so far... http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=25116

adrumm

Post by adrumm » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:02 pm

Thanks for your post - I have been trying a few things in the meantime.

From outlook I have successfully sent a fax using only plain text in the body text. Faxes failed though when I sent attachments (pdfs created with cups2pdf or the microsoft office pdf tool, a .doc saved in 97-2003 format). I wonder whether outlook has a bizarre way of doing attachments perhaps

I have sent a couple from gmail to make sure it isn't my attachments that are the problem. The microsoft one failed on a fax problem. The cups one went through. I'll resend the microsoft one on the hope that it is related to your problem. (Intermittent fax related problems are not great when trying to troubleshoot!)

One thing to think about - I am sending faxes to my work fax. I know we use a lot of VOIP (though it is a local number I am dialling) and I wonder whether the internal multi-campus system is hopping things around a bit. We have had some occasional issues with sending and receiving faxes on another machine (though never on this one). Do Exetel use VOIP for their system? My understanding is that VOIP and faxes can have issues.

Mort

Post by Mort » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:16 pm

I don't believe they are using a VOIP based fax, but I don't really know.

I've tried sending to my fax machine (modem) sitting here beside me that I've been using for the last 10 years, and also the Exetel DID fax number that I'm planning to switch to when I get naked ADSL.

Luckily I don't really send or receive many faxes at all, but I would like a system that I know will work for the times when I do need it!

adrumm

Post by adrumm » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:42 pm

I still can't send attachments from my outlook 07 (plain text body text goes fine). I have tried the attachment with and without plain body text. They all get bounced with the attachments error message.

I can however send the same file via gmail without problems (and no body text was required).

Why? Is it outlook 2007, is it my email setup (from outlook 07 through exim4, clamav, spamassassin, smarthosted through exemail.com.au). Is outlook 07 or my system adding headers, attachments, or other bits that the email2fax system chokes on?

Can someone from exetel give me an email address to send one of my "faxes" to, in order to identify what attachments the system is choking on.