Email To Fax Failed

'Fax to Email' and 'Email to Fax' services
olibird

Email To Fax Failed

Post by olibird » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:16 pm

Yep, yet another thread on a failed fax. Just signed up for the fax service today and I thought I did everything correct but maybe I am missing something. For the purposes of privacy:

un: Firstname.Lastname@mycompany.au
pw: password

Sent email to 0312345678@fax.exemail.com.au
Subject: password
Attachment: PDF

(Made sure there were no spaces in subject)

Sent at 5:43PM today, At 6:38 received email (sent at 5:47 Exetel server time strangely)
-----------
To: prvs=Firstname.Lastname=95595feb5@mycompany.au
Subject: Email To Fax Failed
Body:Your email to fax request has failed due to failed authentication
Please ensure that you are using the correct password, and correct source email address specified during registration

Where am I going wrong?

William M

Post by William M » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:54 am

Hi olibird,

There seems to be an issue with the headers contained within your email.
The email address that you have registered is different to what is being sent by your email client or email server.

I'm unsure as to the exact reason for the differentiation between the two, my assumption is that it is included as a security mechanism but I may be entirely wrong. I'll PM you what is being passed through.

Cheers Will

olibird

Post by olibird » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:49 am

OK, it appears the error is on my end.

Had a bit of a google and it appears the mail server at work has implemented something called BATV (Bounce Address Tag Validation) to deal with bounce back spam.
BATV is a very simple trick to deal with what's known as spam bounce blowback. As an example, I operate a service called abuse.net that people can use to look up addresses to send abuse reports to responsible parties. Spammers are not fond of abuse.net, and a couple of Russian spammers out of spite put fake abuse.net addresses on vast amounts of their spam. Since their spam lists are no better than anyone else's, a lot of that spam is undeliverable and bounces back, with the bounces coming back to the real abuse.net. On a bad day, I can get 300,000 bounces even though the real abuse.net typically sends only about 500 messages a day. BATV lets me pick out the handful of real bounces from the mountain of bogus ones. All that BATV does is to put a simple cryptographic signature into the bounce address in mail. If the original bounce address was fred@abuse.net, the simplest form of BATV rewrites that to prvs=fred/0744abcdef@abuse,net, where the prvs stands for private validation signature, and the stuff after the slash is a signature of the bounce address and the date. When a bounce comes back, my server checks the signature and if it's good, it's a real bounce. By good fortune, I did my original BATV prototype about a week before a new virus started forging large amounts of spam from several of the domains hosted here, and it's been a lifesaver, efficiently rejecting tens or occasionally hundreds of thousands of forged bounces every day.
http://weblog.johnlevine.com/Email/authnov.html

JamesR

Post by JamesR » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:15 am

A Exemail address works just as good. Just make it sound "businessy"..

Example: john.citizen.companyname[at]exemail.com.au
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

olibird

Post by olibird » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:57 am

I just used another email address. The fax doesn't output the email address or Sending ID name so doesn't really matter about a businessy email address.

JamesR

Post by JamesR » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:59 am

Alright, good to hear :)
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

fridgie

Failed fax

Post by fridgie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:33 am

To Exetel Staff,

I am having the same problem with all the faxes I am sending from my work address are failing.

what information do you need form me to check if i am having the same problem as olibird, or to find the fault.

William M

Post by William M » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:41 am

Hi fridgie,

If you are using BATV (Bounce Address Tag Validation) you would need to speak to whoever is responsible for your mail server and ask if it is possible for them to remove BATV or use another email address.

If you are simply failing authentication or destinationation validation please ensure you have registered an Email To Fax account within your User Facilities and that the destination number is valid as specified in the Email to Fax FAQ which is also within your User Facilities. Example; the destination number must contain the area code (02,07,03).

If neither of these are the problem, please email me your service number that you have registered the Email To Fax service under, the number and destination email address that you are sending to and the time which you sent the Email To Fax.

Cheers Will

fridgie

Post by fridgie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:58 am

To Will

I am aware that our email host has grey listing. is this the same as BATV.

if so i can manualy enter an email address into the white list to allow them to pass through.

William M

Post by William M » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:35 am

Hi fridgie,

You would need to speak with the person responsible for your mail server as I'm unaware of the rules that exist that differentiate what email addresses are grey or white listed.

Have you confirmed the destination number and email registration is correct?