cost to sender

'Fax to Email' and 'Email to Fax' services
pittsy

cost to sender

Post by pittsy » Tue May 27, 2008 2:42 pm

For an incoming fax to an exetel fax DID...
On the exetel website page http://www.exetel.com.au/a_fax.php it states
"The process of sending faxes is exactly the same. A fax will be sent to the registered VOIP DID number the same as a sending a fax to a premium telephone number. "

please define "premium telephone number" ... is this going to cost the sender more than sending to a normal PSTN line?.... "premium" sounds a bit like those 55c / min lines to me

TIA
Cecil

William M

Re: cost to sender

Post by William M » Tue May 27, 2008 5:30 pm

Hi pittsy,

By "premium telephone number" we simply mean a a landline telephone number connected by Telstra, Optus or other telephone line provider.

The call rates applied to the sender to send to the Fax DID are the same call rates I would assume used to send to a PSTN line. There shouldn't be a hidden 55c/min charge applied. Even if there was, Exetel would not be implementing this charge rather the telephone phone provider and Exetel would not profit from the ridiculous charges.

Cheers Will.

pittsy

Post by pittsy » Tue May 27, 2008 9:53 pm

Thanks for the clarification Will

It's just the use of the word "premium" that had me curious....
Cecil

ABC123

Re: Sending Time and Cost to Sender

Post by ABC123 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:03 pm

I was recently testing the Fax to Email service by using our main office fax (Brother Multifunction MFC7420 connected to standard Telstra fax line) to send to our
Exetel dial in number.

One page took about two and a half minutes to send and two pages took nearly five minutes. Faxes sent from this same machine to other fax numbers (including to a Telstra Faxstream Fax to Email service I have) take less then one minute for two pages.

If our customers experienced the same delay they would be concerned about their cost of sending faxes to us (assuming they use a regular fax line) and would wonder, as I did initially, whether faxes were actually going through.

Does this 2-3 minute sending time per page to an Exetel DID sound normal?

William M

Post by William M » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:51 am

Hi ABC123,

While I believe you question is more open to discussion rather than looking for a definite yes or no, your question and answer is dependent on what you sent through. For example a high resolution image will take longer than a small one line page of text.

Cheers Will

ABC123

Post by ABC123 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:47 am

I tested 1 page using the words "Test Fax" in black text over 2 lines in 72 point type on white paper and 2 pages using an additional page similar to the first except with "Another Test Page" written on it.

I understand that every fax takes a different amount of time and certain fax machines take longer than others depending on a number of factors however almost 3 minutes for 1 page and almost 5 minutes for two pages I would have thought excessive.

After those tests above, I relinquished the DID, chose another and tested that using the same machine as before as well as a fax server running SBS2003 connected to a different fax line. The pages sent were a little more complex this time. The test results were totally different: the fax machine took under one minute to send two pages, and the fax server a little over one minute to send one page.

Since the tests conducted were on two different days and used two different DID's, I's not sure whether the original results were to do with the specific number, the load on / fault with the fax server or some other reason.

Although this is off topic, for anyone running SBS2003 and using the fax features, fax pages sent from the server and received via Exetel had artifacts (dots and lines) on them and some lines on the page appeared to be missing. A single page one line fax was received split over 2 pages with a lot of noise on both and a single page fax with more text on it had some lines cut in half or missing when received with black lines and dots messing up the page. Faxing from the regular MFC did not produce this result. Although SBS is known to be somewhat tempramental when faxing I'm writing this in case anyone else with SBS wishes to compare.