Best method for generating fax distributions

'Fax to Email' and 'Email to Fax' services
Anthony Michaud

Best method for generating fax distributions

Post by Anthony Michaud » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:20 am

Hi All,

I've got an application where I would like to do a fax out to a large group (200) of clients for updates. I'm looking for suggestions for how this is going to be possible. I've looked at performing a Word mail-merge, however this will only work where the document being sent is going to be in word format - I can't (without adding VBA code) find a Office-native method for performing the email mail merge with an attachment in word.

Suggestions and ideas would be fantastic.
Linux/*SD: How do you want to work quickly, reliably, cheaply and .... oooh look - something shiney over there. We'll be back to finish this later ...

peterh_oz

Re: Best method for generating fax distributions

Post by peterh_oz » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:06 pm

I've found thru experience that you can't ut more than 40 at a time into the email to the exetel email/fax server. Also best to stagger the emails, wait a few mins between sending them.

If the faxes are unaddressed, try listing the numbers in excel, then use concatenate to add @fax.exemail.com.au and make sure you have the leading 0 for the fax number (02 not 2). Then just copy & paste using the page down button to pop them into separate emails.

If they're addressed, I look forward to someone else's response :?

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:57 pm

I'm currently working on a Windows (.net) application that will perform the bulk emailing from a CSV list of fax numbers.

loudon

Post by loudon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:37 pm

It would be good to have a desktop application (like Exesms is for sms) for faxes!

I think there are some WHFC or Hylafax (derivatives) progams that can do it - but have no references, sorry.

H.

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:49 pm

loudon wrote:It would be good to have a desktop application (like Exesms is for sms) for faxes!

I think there are some WHFC or Hylafax (derivatives) progams that can do it - but have no references, sorry.

H.
This is specifically a BULK fax program - its reasonably easy to send a single or a handful of faxes out, but very hard to do 400 (just done today using a cludge or three). The end application should be something that you point at a list of telephone numbers, the attachment to send, and it simply pumps out the emails to Exetel to fax.
Linux/*SD: How do you want to work quickly, reliably, cheaply and .... oooh look - something shiney over there. We'll be back to finish this later ...

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:37 pm

If anyone is interested in helping test this application, and is running either Windows XP or Windows Vista, and has .net installed, please shoot me a PM.

Kalinga
Exetel Staff

Post by Kalinga » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:33 pm

Check this link out...
Desktop fax application
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 72#p253772

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:38 pm

Anthony, your sig deserves this cheap shot - It is a straight forward, small job in any OS that uses shell scripting.

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:10 pm

Dazzled wrote:Anthony, your sig deserves this cheap shot - It is a straight forward, small job in any OS that uses shell scripting.
You can build a graphical interface using shell scripting, that end users can use without asking you for assistance?

Fantastic!
</sarcasm>

The process of sending the faxes is easy - and can be done with most modern operating systems via a scripting interface - but you can't do the GUI in shell scripts, hence, why this is a program, not a cobbled collection of scripts.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:46 pm

You can build a complex graphical interface in the common shells, and it's quite easy. GUIs can be fully specified in an XML file, and put up and run by a library (such as libglade; I think someone has ported it to Windows, but without a decent scripting system it is handicapped on that platform).

Scripted graphic interfaces are becoming very common, particularly with the newer scripting languages such as Python. Ubuntu in particular has lots of Python scripts.

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:33 pm

Dazzled wrote:You can build a complex graphical interface in the common shells, and it's quite easy. GUIs can be fully specified in an XML file, and put up and run by a library (such as libglade; I think someone has ported it to Windows, but without a decent scripting system it is handicapped on that platform).

Scripted graphic interfaces are becoming very common, particularly with the newer scripting languages such as Python. Ubuntu in particular has lots of Python scripts.
That doesn't fit too well with
Dazzled wrote:It is a straight forward, small job in any OS that uses shell scripting.
Sounds like it's going to have a similar workload of a 'standard' project.

I could be wrong, and don't really care at this stage - just wanting to shoot down you "cheap shot" :).

The signature was due to one of a similar ilk that was anti-Microsoft. Unfortunately, whilst it's not the absolute its annoyingly too common in the open source world.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:27 pm

No sarcasm or exaggeration was intended.

It's off topic, so I'll stop here, {edit: about multi-platform programming, and front end scripting, not faxes, so remainder deleted by author}