fax2email not working?

'Fax to Email' and 'Email to Fax' services
trk

fax2email not working?

Post by trk » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:22 pm

G'day,

Our FoIP number seems to accept faxes fine, but we dont get the notification email containing the fax. It worked at 04/06/2010 4:15pm but hasnt seemed to deliver anything since then.

Is it possible something needs a kick in the pants to start delivering email again?

trk

Re: fax2email not working?

Post by trk » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:22 pm

(fax 78253 was the last PDF if that helps track down where things went wrong, if they did at all)

William M

Post by William M » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 am

Hi trk,

I've checked our logs and don't see any delay for the time you've specified.

Did you never receive the fax?

Cheers Will

trk

Post by trk » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:59 pm

Hello William,

We received the faxes sent Friday 4pm, via email on Saturday at 3am (ie: after I made this post).

I can only assume it WASNT our email being the problem, as we received many emails between those two times from other parties but anythings possible.

Basically I sent a few test faxes which came through email immediately, then wanted to test it via a 'normal' fax which said on their end it sent correctly, but then didnt appear as an email to us. I thought it might be an incompatability with their machine so sent another test fax from the equipment that had been working all of a minute prior to that which also didnt show up. Then a little while later another one via a different modem. All 3 faxes then turned up via email at exactly the same time the next day (3:17am, and no I wasnt awake then checking it :P).

I just setup our 'real' fax line to divert when busy and divert when no answer to the Exetel line, and successfully sent a test fax to myself which was redirected by telstra to Exetels line which then appeared as an email immediately, so whatever 'was' stopping it working (either our end or not) is now sending again.

We only plan on using Exetels fax2email for a cheap and convenient backup in case our 'real' fax line goes down (which at $1/month is absolutely fantastic value) so the possible/random time delays arent REALLY a problem, I was just concerned the emails werent going to arrive at all ;)

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:29 am

There was an inordinate large volume of faxes sent on Friday. We had to deprioritise the emission of email notifications from the fax servers and to load balance the fax emissions.
This caused the delay in the emails being received.

We are in the process of upgrading the residential email2fax service, which should fix these sorts of problems from recurring in the future. The ETA for the upgrade is end of June.

trk

Post by trk » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Jolly good.

Like I said, for $1/month the value for money is fantastic as a backup line. It worked as intended just this afternoon actually :D

Its the added services like these that really make Exetel stand out, for me.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:16 pm

As this service has become increasingly used by business customers we have had to speed up the upgrades to the hardware used to something like four times what we had planned for this time.

The number of faxes being sent via this service are way over 500,000 a month now and are increasing by up to 20% each month.

The latest upgrade and the fine tuning to be completed by the end of June will eliminate a repeat of last Friday's issue.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:59 pm

Is there another issue right now? I "emailed" a fax about an hour ago and no email back yet and it's not showing in "Exetel User Facilities - View Your Email2Fax".

T.

trk

Post by trk » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:53 pm

I was just about to bump this myself, actually ^_^

Faxes dont appear to be working at the moment. number@fax.exemail.com.au doesnt send, or appear in the log anywhere :(

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:19 pm

Still not working... can someone at Exetel please investigate?

Unknown

Post by Unknown » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:56 pm

Hi I also tried to send an email to fax very recently and so far its not working....

William M

Post by William M » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:40 am

Hi,

I have identified an issue and resolved it. Previous faxes submitted have been purged and must be resubmitted.

Cheers Will

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:07 am

William M wrote:Hi,

I have identified an issue and resolved it. Previous faxes submitted have been purged and must be resubmitted.

Cheers Will
From what date onward?

trk

Post by trk » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:15 am

Just wanted to confirm that YES, this is indeed working again as I've sent and received 3 or 4 faxes this morning.

Cheers.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:26 am

Yup, me too. Pity about all the people that sent faxes and just assumed they worked. I'm assuming >3 days worth of faxes were trashed.