Impending Price Increase - Questions

'Fax to Email' and 'Email to Fax' services
bilal

Impending Price Increase - Questions

Post by bilal » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:20 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if someone can detail what changes were made to the fax services so we know what we're in for.

A few things which have concerned me so far:

1) failure rate - half recieved faxes, failed faxes, etc. (i noticed another topic detailing changes, last post ~ April some time, although I can't really corellate)
2) inability to set/send a suitable fax header and caller ID for email2fax for those with fax2email DIDs. I think both are essential.
3) delays - email2fax would have to be near-instant to be appreciated

If these are addressed, then there would be a case for businesses even to take advantage of this service.

Thanks,
bilal

antoniov

Re: Impending Price Increase - Questions

Post by antoniov » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:21 pm

I have just recieved yet another arrogant take it or leave email from exetel advising that now my incoming fax service is to increase five fold.
Would it be such an imposition to give a little more notice, and an advice that is a little less nasty?
Surely you have known that the price was to increase months ago, yet you give one months notice to customers that have been with you for many years and advise them to take it or leave it.
:(

sable

Post by sable » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:44 am

antoniov wrote:I have just recieved yet another arrogant take it or leave email from exetel advising that now my incoming fax service is to increase five fold.
Would it be such an imposition to give a little more notice, and an advice that is a little less nasty?
Surely you have known that the price was to increase months ago, yet you give one months notice to customers that have been with you for many years and advise them to take it or leave it.
:(
How much notice do you want??

I thought 22 July to 1 September is extremely generous.

philled

Post by philled » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:32 am

Yeah, yet another price hike from Exetel. Since joining around 1 year ago it's been an endless procession of plan changes and price hikes. And I know the answers will come back "well it's still cheaper than everyone else" - well not for much longer if they keep going at this rate.

bilal

Post by bilal » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:34 am

I didn't really want this thread to turn into a discussion on pricing.

Telecomms equipment (hardware DSPs?) and probably services required to handle faxes (i.e. non-voip lines) are not cheap.

If it works, then it is worth it.

I noticed that iaxmodem was being used before, which is not exactly a good solution. I wonder as well what kind of lines were (and are) running the service.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:30 pm

Just wondering if someone can detail what changes were made to the fax services so we know what we're in for.

A few things which have concerned me so far:
1) failure rate - half recieved faxes, failed faxes, etc. (i noticed another topic detailing changes, last post ~ April some time, although I can't really corellate)
2) inability to set/send a suitable fax header and caller ID for email2fax for those with fax2email DIDs. I think both are essential.
3) delays - email2fax would have to be near-instant to be appreciated
1. We installed a new email2fax server and PRI cards with greater capacity, speed, reliability and quality
2. Faxes route straight to the email2fax server now, not via our VoIP switch as before.

Next week we will:
3. Install 2 new call collection E1's (with fax circuits) making interstate inbound faxing much better. This will be a big improvement for these customers.
4. The upgrade means it will be equivalent to a business grade service .

The truncation should stop. Failed faxes - well that depends on a few things.

As mentioned in the email notification, the CAPEX injection was significant and the monthly costs for Exetel are much increased.
We are just informing customers that for such an upgrade, the monthly charge price cannot remain as it is - the increase is neccessary.
At the same time, we are giving you the option to discontinue if you so wish with plenty of notice.

bilal

Post by bilal » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:52 pm

ExetelVoice wrote:<snip>
These changes sound reassuring.

Do the E1 perform the fax processing, or are they still handled by software? I recall (hopefully correctly) something about the software causing problems for outgoing caller id. Is there any active work to remedy this problem?

Thanks, Bilal

bilal

Post by bilal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:52 pm

This is the kind of hardware which would probably work best: http://www.banksiasoftware.com.au/conte ... s/d83.html ~$21k for a 30-channel E1. No funny IAXModems. I wonder how much that would increase fax prices to!