Invalid PDF

'Fax to Email' and 'Email to Fax' services
linarms

Invalid PDF

Post by linarms » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:48 pm

Hi,

I set up Email2Fax for the first time today, and attempted to send a fax using eXeFAX on Windows. I submitted a PDF generated by Epson Scan, and got the following response:
Dear Customer,

Unfortunately, your Email to Fax request to fax number 1300XXXXXX on 14-1-2011 at 14:05:00 has failed due to:
- An invalid attachment

Troubleshooting Suggestions/Information:
- Ensure that the file type is either of the following file type: .doc (Word Document), .gif(Image), .jpeg(Image), .png(Image) .xls(Excel Spreadsheet), .ppt(Powerpoint Presentation), .pdf(Portable Document Format) or .html.
- Be aware that simply changing the extension of a file to .pdf or .doc does not convert a file from one type to another.
Regards,

Exetel Pty. Ltd,
Does this mean Epson Scan produces invalid PDF's, or am I doing something wrong with it? Is there a workaround I should try?

Thanks in advance :)

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Invalid PDF

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:04 pm

Some apps produce odd pdfs that others can't read.

If someone with access to the server who can look at your attachment doesn't come along, can I suggest you try to convert it to tiff with imagemagick, and see if you can get a detailed error message? Easiest in Linux, but Windows has a version at http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binar ... emlgh9t932.

I may be wrong here, but my reasoning is that PHP: ImageMagick is used by the server, so I presume the ImageMagick conversion libraries are in use. Fax machines talk a dialect of Tiff. This library is normally called up by scripts, but can be used from a terminal emulator. The app name is convert. http://www.imagemagick.org/script/convert.php

Otherwise just use one of the other formats. Gif is usually compact if it's non-photographic.

linarms

Post by linarms » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:29 pm

Thanks for that. It didn't occur to me to try another format (I've used other online faxing services with Epson Scan PDF's before), so I'll most likely go that way rather than persisting with PDF scans!

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:21 pm

linarms wrote:Thanks for that. It didn't occur to me to try another format (I've used other online faxing services with Epson Scan PDF's before), so I'll most likely go that way rather than persisting with PDF scans!
if all else fails use something like CutePDF http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp which sets up a virtual printer on your machine, you basically print the file as a PDF, I've used these with the FAX service before and they worked fine for me, there are other similar PDF printers about that are probably also suitable