What is the cost of Email2Fax/Fax2Email?

'Fax to Email' and 'Email to Fax' services
The Land of Smeg

What is the cost of Email2Fax/Fax2Email?

Post by The Land of Smeg » Thu May 05, 2011 6:32 pm

I'm finding a bit of conflicting/incomplete information on various different pages so I want to clarify how much it costs for these services:

Fax2Email (Receiving a Fax)
- How many DID's can by purchased on the same account?
- What is the monthly cost?
- What is the cost to receive a fax?

Email2Fax (Sending an Fax)
- Will the fax appear to come from the DID Number or be set to another number?
- What is the cost to send a fax?

I have also seen that it is possible to port old fax numbers to an Exetel VOIP service, and then forward the VOIP number to the new fax number. Can Exetel port numbers from ISDN?

thejeg

Re: What is the cost of Email2Fax/Fax2Email?

Post by thejeg » Fri May 06, 2011 7:47 am

The Land of Smeg wrote: Fax2Email (Receiving a Fax)
Please refer http://www.exetel.com.au/files/fax-to-email-faq.pdf
The Land of Smeg wrote:Email2Fax (Sending an Fax)
Please refer https://www.exetel.com.au/members/fax_email2fax_faq.php
The Land of Smeg wrote:I have also seen that it is possible to port old fax numbers to an Exetel VOIP service, and then forward the VOIP number to the new fax number. Can Exetel port numbers from ISDN?
No! this is not a possibility.Fax number portability is not available on this service. The Fax to Email numbers allocated by this service is fixed and there is no number portability available.

dougy

Post by dougy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:29 am

I for one would appreciate a simple answer to a simple question instead of being told to go to some other area ... reason is the unnecessarily convoluted username / service number / login arrangement that requires massive hair pulling out frustration in order to access anything. Surely it should be possible to design an access control system that doesn't need multiple logins !!! Having to deal with offshore call centre staff with their typically poor command of australian english is another issue again ... how about providing a local call centre with australian speaking staff even if there is a cost to access it. I'll happily pay extra if it means I can communicate with someone I can understand.

felix

Post by felix » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:30 pm

The Land of Smeg wrote:I'm finding a bit of conflicting/incomplete information on various different pages so I want to clarify how much it costs for these services:

Fax2Email (Receiving a Fax)

Email2Fax (Sending an Fax)

I have also seen that it is possible to port old fax numbers to an Exetel VOIP service, and then forward the VOIP number to the new fax number. Can Exetel port numbers from ISDN?
From a quick read of Theje's links:

Fax2Email
- limited only by number of available DID (and likely fair usage)
- $1
- $0

Email2Fax
- not mentioned and from my own personal usage I don't recall ever seeing a transmitted number
- $0
- The cost of sending a fax within Australia is 10 cents per fax and 30 cents per fax for 1300 numbers. The cost of sending an international fax is a timed call to that country.

You can port any eligible* PSTN number to a Voip (voice) number. You cannot port any numbers to the Fax2Email service.
*eligible numbers are those which fall into the call collection areas serviced by the carrier Exetel get their DID from. Check your members facilities VoIP section, if you can get a new DID in an area, likely you can port. Use this page https://www.exetel.com.au/pstn_to_voip/ ... siness.php to check - ISDN numbers will always fail this test. You will need to email voice@exetel.com.au and ask them to check ISDN individually, but the DID availability in members section is a good guide.

Exetel can port ISDN, see their VoIP pages, however the numbers will be ported to the VoIP voice service, not a t38 capable fax service. You can use an ATA on a fax to send fax over voip but it isn't supported and doesn't work reliably due to truncation and audio stream degredation.

Theoretically you could port fax PSTN to voip and forward to a fax2email service, however the limitations I mentioned above will still apply as the VoIP voice service will have to be transcoded to t38.