[RESOLVED] Setting up Wordpress site on paid hosting service

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs

[RESOLVED] Setting up Wordpress site on paid hosting service

Postby perthling on Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Appreciate help on this forum for two reasons:
1) It took me two days (two emails and a follow-up phone call) to get MySQL setup; and
2) So many help requests on this forum end up going onto private message threads, so other users can't read the solutions to help themselves, i.e. the whole idea of a forum / knowledge base!

Objective:
To publish a WordPress site that my domain (a ".com.au" registered with another provider) can point to.
(Note: I have limited technological understanding, and may have used incorrect terminology. Don't berate me, but do correct me, so I can amend the original post for future readers. Also, please don't base your response on any assumed knowledge. The solution here will hopefully assist many others also trying to do what I am).

Background
As an Exetel customer, initially I set up the free web hosting. Got the FTP credentials (host home.exetel.com.au, username prefix "fw_"). Had to separately request Support to create a MySQL database, updated credentials in the wp-config file. Then was able to initiate everything via URL along the lines of http://home.exetel.com.au/[NAME]/wp-admin/install.php
Then I discovered the free web service would not allow me to have my domain (perthling.com.au) point to it. And had to take paid web hosting - not a problem.
Support advised FTP credentials (host vh1.web.exetel.com.au, username prefix "web_"), and also an alleged A record to complete the DNS config.
With FTP client, I've successfully copied the entire content and directory structure from the freeweb onto the paid hosting.
...now I'm stuck

Things I need help with
1) I can't figure out what URL I need to use to install WordPress (http://?????/[NAME]/wp-admin/install.php)
2) Following the phpMyAdmin link Exetel provided (https://vh1.web.exetel.com.au/mydbadmin/) says the connection is not secure. Exetel's certificates are not authenticated (likely) or else I'm the target of an attack.
3) The A record provided is not unique, and is listed everywhere (i.e. 220.233.0.22). Presumably this is incorrect, otherwise how would the DNS be configured to my site and not any of the many others hosted on Exetel with the same A record?

Appreciate your assistance!
Last edited by perthling on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perthling

Re: Setting up Wordpress site on paid hosting service

Postby HimaJ on Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:12 am

Exetel is currently looking into your service issue under the reference number : 12085726. Exetel hosting team will contact you soon.

Exetel apologies for the inconvenience may have caused by this.
HimaJ
Exetel Staff

Postby perthling on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:39 am

Thanks HimaJ. I've contacted Support today, and basically they've said I won't get anything resolved today. This is INCREDIBLY disappointing. I was hoping to finish setting up the website this weekend, as I'm launching the business now (business name registered; Trust deed executed; bank account setup; phone number acquired; logo paid for; necessary software purchased; but then... DNS registration done awaiting Exetel's response... security concerns and inability to access web setup awaiting Exetel's response...). It took me two days to get a simple response once I signed up for the paid service. And then the response seemed incomplete and inaccurate. So I've replied again, but I can't afford to burn more days with emails back and forth just to get the website set up. Thinking about asking for a refund and going with someone else.
perthling

Postby HimaJ on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:41 pm

Hi,

We could understand your situation where all the other parameters completed but pending DNS registration from Exetel end which is really a frustrating scenario. Please accept our apologies.

Please note that we have already escalated your query to senior hosting engineers. We will try our best to resolve your service issue soon.
HimaJ
Exetel Staff

Postby perthling on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:14 am

I've removed and reinstalled a fresh instance of WordPress. From further reading, and what you're saying, the hosting wasn't configured correctly and that's why I can't complete the DNS registration. I trust once this information comes through (tomorrow please??) you'll extend my annual subscription by a week, i.e. the week that I've paid but haven't been able to use it.

Thanks again.
perthling

Postby KavindaS on Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:51 pm

perthling wrote:I've removed and reinstalled a fresh instance of WordPress. From further reading, and what you're saying, the hosting wasn't configured correctly and that's why I can't complete the DNS registration. I trust once this information comes through (tomorrow please??) you'll extend my annual subscription by a week, i.e. the week that I've paid but haven't been able to use it.

Thanks again.

We have received the update from our Hosting department. However before updating you, we need to clarify few things with them and once we get the response, we will update you as soon possible on your given contact email via the same ticket 12085726.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: [RESOLVED] Setting up Wordpress site on paid hosting ser

Postby perthling on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:59 pm

Issues are resolved. Solutions below for the benefit of future readers:

1) Installing WordPress: Using FTP client, I had put the WordPress content in the root directory.
This belongs in /home/<web_USERNAME>/web/<DOMAIN>/public_html/

2) Advised to disregard the "not secure" alert when going to https://vh1.web.exetel.com.au/mydbadmin/
However I didn't need to use this anyway; FTP WordPress content to the correct directory, then go <DOMAIN>/wp-admin/install.php.

3) The A record provided (i.e. 220.233.0.22) is not unique, and this is fine. Everything works now the DNS is configured accordingly, and with WordPress loaded in the correct directory to enable installation.
perthling

Re: [RESOLVED] Setting up Wordpress site on paid hosting ser

Postby KavindaS on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:38 pm

[quote="perthling"]Issues are resolved. Solutions below for the benefit of future readers:

Glad to hear the issues are now resolved with this and thank you for sharing the information here. :)
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Return to Web space, mirror & blog services