Reverse DNS Setup

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
TrentG

Reverse DNS Setup

Post by TrentG » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:24 pm

I have done some research on getting this setup on my connection. I have my single static IP which will cost me $20 for it to be done.

What I want to know is will it be like my previous provider where I just added an A record at my registrar and not have to move my domain over to Exetel to have it done?

Also can it be done in less than 24 hours, my last provider did it live on the phone and it was working fine within 2 hours.

I am ready to go ahead with it as soon as I get my questions answered.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:33 pm

When I ordered the Exetel Reverse DNS service, it took less than a day, if I recall correctly.

No, you don't have to move the domain over to Exetel.

NetworkAdmin

Re: Reverse DNS Setup

Post by NetworkAdmin » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:45 pm

TrentG wrote:I have done some research on getting this setup on my connection. I have my single static IP which will cost me $20 for it to be done.
yes
What I want to know is will it be like my previous provider where I just added an A record at my registrar and not have to move my domain over to Exetel to have it done?
yes
Also can it be done in less than 24 hours, my last provider did it live on the phone and it was working fine within 2 hours.
In most cases it will be processed the same business day. But say if you applied at 4pm on Friday, it is possible it wouldn't be processed to until Monday.

TrentG

Post by TrentG » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:46 pm

How do I signup for RDNS, I do not see a form on the website to order it?

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:48 pm

TrentG wrote:How do I signup for RDNS, I do not see a form on the website to order it?
User Facilities,

Order/Amend/Cancel Services

Order Domain Name Hosting

Select Plan B - Reverse DNS Hosting.

Regards,

CLoSeR
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

TrentG

Post by TrentG » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:43 pm

Service has been charged to my account earlier today and is not in action at this time, should it be functioning by the morning?

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:33 am

TrentG wrote:Service has been charged to my account earlier today and is not in action at this time, should it be functioning by the morning?
I have asked the sysadmin and he said he is doing it in the next 20 minutes or so.

TrentG

Post by TrentG » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:54 am

NetworkAdmin wrote:
TrentG wrote:Service has been charged to my account earlier today and is not in action at this time, should it be functioning by the morning?
I have asked the sysadmin and he said he is doing it in the next 20 minutes or so.
I'm sorry....Isn't a company meant to charge for a service when it has been completed and not before??????

Money was taken and nothing and has been done till this morning.

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:50 am

TrentG wrote:I'm sorry....Isn't a company meant to charge for a service when it has been completed and not before??????
No. ISP's, Telco's, brickies and some taxi drivers all take payment in advance. They all know they are good for the service, some peoples credit cards on the other hand...
You should not deal with a company that you think is defrauding you.

TrentG

Post by TrentG » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:54 am

NetworkAdmin wrote:
TrentG wrote:I'm sorry....Isn't a company meant to charge for a service when it has been completed and not before??????
No. ISP's, Telco's, brickies and some taxi drivers all take payment in advance. They all know they are good for the service, some peoples credit cards on the other hand...
You should not deal with a company that you think is defrauding you.
It is completed now, but this is the first time I have dealt with exetel aside from signing up so how am I meant to know what you guys are like with handling money ? :lol:

All good not trying to wind you up.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:18 am

Ok, I'm in --->

User Facilities,

Order/Amend/Cancel Services

Order Domain Name Hosting

Select Plan B - Reverse DNS Hosting.

But where do I type the domain name that I want to show? Do I enter it into the section plan A fields above the section plan B checkbox?

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:26 am

thomashouseman wrote:But where do I type the domain name that I want to show? Do I enter it into the section plan A fields above the section plan B checkbox?
Enter the domain name in the "Domain Name to be hosted" box, and select Plan B (rDNS). That's all you need.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:42 am

One last quick question...

Is it better to just put your domain name in there or the server name in there when using this for mail server purposes......

i.e. Should an rDNS lookup return just domainname.id.au or servername.domainname.id.au ?

Thanks,

T.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:48 am

I think I answered my own question.... as 220.233.0.16 resolves to chestnut-mail.exetel.com.au

so servername is the preferred method?

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:22 am

thomashouseman wrote:I think I answered my own question.... as 220.233.0.16 resolves to chestnut-mail.exetel.com.au

so servername is the preferred method?
Yes, it is best if it is a host name.