thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:36 am

Hostname, that's the terminology I was looking for. :D

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers,

T.

Omo

Post by Omo » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:42 am

I just leave my RDNS as is. It doesn't change the way it works. And works fine if its 220.34.22.220.exetel.com.au or mail.odysseycomputers.com.au
Odyssey Computers
http://www.odysseycomputers.com.au

Networking - Webhosting - Servers - ADSL - Onsite Computer Services

trev

Post by trev » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:45 am

Omo wrote:I just leave my RDNS as is. It doesn't change the way it works. And works fine if its 220.34.22.220.exetel.com.au or mail.odysseycomputers.com.au
Incorrect - it does change the way it works. The reason why those of us running mail servers pay for rDNS is because many mail servers these days block your outgoing mail if the DNS and rDNS do not match. Blame the spammers for this.

Just check the recenet rDNS outage which Exetel had for people affected by this.

Of course, it also affects other underlying security system like the ssh protocol which generally denies you access unless the forward and reverse DNS resolves to the same identity.

Bottom line: if you ahve the need, it is an essential service to have and to pay for.

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:53 am

trev wrote:
Omo wrote:I just leave my RDNS as is. It doesn't change the way it works. And works fine if its 220.34.22.220.exetel.com.au or mail.odysseycomputers.com.au
Incorrect - it does change the way it works. The reason why those of us running mail servers pay for rDNS is because many mail servers these days block your outgoing mail if the DNS and rDNS do not match. Blame the spammers for this.
I know some email server operators do this, but it is not wise, and very problematic. Very few servers have the same rdns and hostname - think of the many hundreds and thousands of email domains that are hosted by a third party - none of those rdns names will match the host name.