Emails not coming through from website

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
((slimey))

Emails not coming through from website

Post by ((slimey)) » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:17 am

Not sure if this is the right place to put this if not delete or move as necessary.

I am testing a CMS program, was adding test users which sends passwords to my exetel email account.

Sent one at 12.38am came through perfect.
Didnt change a thing to the program set up or code at all.
Sent another one around 1.00am never came through.
Tested the problem by signing up a user with my hotmail email addy and so far no emails have come through and i have created 3 different uses 2 with exetel emails and 1 hotmail email and nuthing yet.

Whats the deal?

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:25 am

I have moved your post to the "Web Space Hosting Issues" on the assumption that you have setup your CMS on your Exetel free web space. If this isn't the case, let me know.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

NetworkAdmin

Re: Emails not coming through from website

Post by NetworkAdmin » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:33 am

((slimey)) wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to put this if not delete or move as necessary.

I am testing a CMS program, was adding test users which sends passwords to my exetel email account.

Sent one at 12.38am came through perfect.
Didnt change a thing to the program set up or code at all.
Sent another one around 1.00am never came through.
Tested the problem by signing up a user with my hotmail email addy and so far no emails have come through and i have created 3 different uses 2 with exetel emails and 1 hotmail email and nuthing yet.

Whats the deal?
What is your site url?

((slimey))

Post by ((slimey)) » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:08 am

my url is http://home.exetel.com.au/web_testing/txp/

Its working now... YAY

But i still havent received any emails for the other test users i made. Did the webspace go down or was something wrong last night?

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:55 am

((slimey)) wrote:my url is http://home.exetel.com.au/web_testing/txp/

Its working now... YAY

But i still havent received any emails for the other test users i made. Did the webspace go down or was something wrong last night?
There was no known problem. I will ask a sysadmin to have a look at the logs.

redbach

Follow up

Post by redbach » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:39 pm

Was there any followup to this? I'm experiencing the same problem on my free hosting. The PHP mail() function works fine one day but then mysteriously stops working the next.

Any light that could be shed would be helpful :-)

SysAdmin

Re: Follow up

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:03 am

redbach wrote:Was there any followup to this? I'm experiencing the same problem on my free hosting. The PHP mail() function works fine one day but then mysteriously stops working the next.

Any light that could be shed would be helpful :-)
If the mail() function is sending ok but noone is receiving the email then this would be due to the fact that spammers have been active via exploitable software people have installed on their websites (eg forum software that they don't maintain). I believe I tracked it down last night and have blocked the website responsible but will be doing a better scan this morning in order to find any others with similar software.

Andrew