Cannot see my hosted jpg

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
loneksy1

Cannot see my hosted jpg

Post by loneksy1 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:19 am

Hello,

I'm a newly-signed member of Exetel (came online just 2 days ago). I created & configured my Webspace, ie. set it up with my WebSpace name (LoneSioux) & password. I then used an FTP protocol called "FileZilla" to upload a picture (jpg) file, simply called contents.jpg. [I've used FileZilla before, successfully, with my allocated webspace when I was with BigPond ADSL].

I opened a new browser & typed the following into the address bar:
http://www.home.exetel.com.au/lonesioux/contents.jpg

I couldn't see my picture there. Instead, the error message read:

Not Found

The requested URL /lonesioux/contents.jpg was not found on this server.
Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/2.0.50 (Mandrakelinux/7.6.101mdk) mod_python/3.1.3 Python/2.3.4 mod_ssl/2.0.50 OpenSSL/0.9.7d DAV/2 PHP/4.3.8 Server at home.exetel.com.au Port 80

FileZilla shows that my index.html file is being "parked" in my webspace. Exetel's "Your Web Space Details" shows that my web address URL is: http://home.exetel.au/lonesioux, & File Zilla shows that my picture file (contents.jpg) is still "sitting" there in my webspace.

Can ANYONE help here? Is this a simple problem with the pathway URL or something?

Thanxx a lot in advance for your help! :(

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:31 am

Hi loneksy1

Have a read of this page
http://home.exetel.com.au/lonesioux/

It explains the problem and how to fix it.

Make sure you click on my link to view the page, because the URLs in your post have errors in them.

Welcome aboard, by the way :D

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

JamesR

Post by JamesR » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:29 am

Exetel Webspaces do not have www in their URLs, just http://home.exe...

Gidget probably already gave you an idea of that, just to clear it up :lol:
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:30 am

Actually, just try:

http://home.exetel.com.au/lonesioux/Contents.jpg

With a capital C in contents. URLS are case sensitive occasionally.

Cheers,

T.

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:29 pm

Actually, mostly they are case sensitive - because they often run on Linux/Unix boxes, which are case sensitive by design :)

austdata

Post by austdata » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:48 am

semaj wrote:Exetel Webspaces do not have www in their URLs, just http://home.exe...

Gidget probably already gave you an idea of that, just to clear it up :lol:
It's not a bad idea to think about all those prefixes (www, ftp, mail, etc.) as sub-domains. That way, when dealing with domain variations, the domain construct makes a little more sense.

If the www prefix is required there needs to be two entries in the DNS zone. These are home.exetel.com.au and www.home.exetel.com.au both linked to 220.233.0.13. Unless each customer has their own DNS entry, I would recommend Exetel pop the extra entry in. I'm a bit surprised it's not already there.

Hope all that's clearer than mothers milk. It must be late, hope I check this in the morning.

Cheers,

Mike

loneksy1

UNABLE TO SEE MY HOSTED VIDEO FILE

Post by loneksy1 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:44 pm

Hey guys,

Thanxx a lot for all the previous help. I had meant to reply a lot earlier on but couldn't log in, and couldn't work out WHY I couldn't log in until more than 3 weeks later when I realised I had made a mistake, originally, in configuring my own user-name. Anyway, I've worked that out.

OK, I've used FileZilla to successfully upload a 39 Mb movie file to my Exetel webspace (just to "park" it there). My webspace name is: lonesioux, & the file name is: FiberOpticPagoda3B.wmv

So, I opened a new browser window & typed into the address bar the following:
http://home.exetel.com.au/lonesioux/Fib ... goda3B.wmv [keeping in mind, like you guys pointed out before, to maintain the case-sensitivity for EVERY character]

However, NOTHING happens....Everytime I hit the arrow on the right of the address bar, it brings up a small window to save the movie file. This video file should automatically play back in Windows Media Player (I have this same video file on my harddrive & it does that).

Is the problem here because the size of the file is about 39Mb? That shouldn't really matter, should it?

I thought the URL was correct? What did I do wrong here?
Thanxx so much, in advance, for any help!!

Best Regards, Lone

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:38 pm

Hi loneksy1

When I click on your link using Firefox, I get a dialog box asking me if I want to save or run the file. That is because I have Firefox set up to always ask me this question for that file type (WMV). Thus I can choose whether I run it or save it - in either event, of course, I always download it as part of the process.

I think it is likely that you have set up your browser to always save files - by having ticked a box back in the distant past which asked whether you always wanted to save or run files you download. If you want to change the option, how to do so will depend on the browser you are using.

Also, make sure that you have read the bottom of this page in your User Facilities (you must log in first), and followed the directions in the section IMPORTANT REQUIREMENT OF USING THIS FACILITY if you want to store multimedia files in your webspace, otherwise you may find that your WMV file disappears overnight.

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

loneksy1

Post by loneksy1 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:44 pm

Hello Gidget,

I've gone thro' all the options under 'Options' in the "Tools" & cannot find where I might have ticked an option to save a download. I'm using FireFox 2.0.0.10. I don't get it. About 3 weeks ago, as a trial, I uploaded a jpg of about 300 Kb to my webspace. Using a URL in the same manner as described (ie........./lonesioux.filename.jpg), I was able to call up the uploaded file, and no dialogue box came up asking me to save it. I mean, these are files ALREADY on my hard-drive, so I have no reason to save them again.

Also, I has already applied to Exetel Admin. for permission to "park" my own multi-media files in my webspace, and they had given me permission.

Anyway, using the URL I mentioned before (http://home.exetel.com.au/lonesioux/Fib ... goda3B.wmv), are you able to automatically playback my video clip? It is really important to me to resolve this because I shot this clip with my dig. vid. cam. for an intended eBay ad. and this is the only thing holding up my progress there. Now that I have uploaded tis video file to my webspace, I want to be able to come up with its URL so people can click on it so see the clip. Is there anything wrong with the URL?

Thanxx very much again for any help,

Lone

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:29 pm

Hi Lone

You are quite right, I was thinking of the setting in Firefox to always prompt for a download directory, rather than always saving to the, same, previously specified directory :oops:

The correct answer is, a WMV file will automatically open and play in Media Player if you are using Internet Explorer as your browser - it downloads as it plays. If you are using Firefox, however, if you set the option I mention above and then choose "play with" (default program: Media Player) rather than "save", the file will download fully before it opens Media Player and plays the clip. So, how people will view the file still depends on what their individual browsers are, and how they are set up.

Yes, I can see your clip once I choose "open with" and download it. At about 38 MB it is a sizeable file to download so you might like to consider this for its intended application.

I'm glad you've already cleared with Exetel to upload your multimedia files to your webspace - I just wanted to be sure that you were aware of this requirement :D

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

loneksy1

Post by loneksy1 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:32 pm

Hello Gidget,

Thanxx for that. Yes, I used IE 7.0 (my alternative browser) & it stated playing back in Windows Media Player (which was what I wanted it to do in FF but wasn't able to). DO you know exactly where the setting is, in FF, that I can "adjust" so that the video will just start playing instead of prompting me to save it ?

It's so hard to get the right advice for FF because the program itself seems so complicated.

Thanxx again for any help,

Lone

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:50 pm

Hi Lone

Go to "Tools" -> "Options" and on the "Main" tab look in the middle at the "Downloads" section - put a dot next to "Always ask me where to save files" and when you click on your link you should then get a dialog box asking whether you want to "open with" or "Save" - at this point, you choose "Open with" and make sure the correct program is listed (in this case, Media Player).

Another option is to install a Firefox Extension called "IE Tab", available here, which you can use to embed Internet Explorer in a Mozilla/Firefox tab. I use this extension frequently - it works well.

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:18 am

loneksy1 wrote:It is really important to me to resolve this because I shot this clip with my dig. vid. cam. for an intended eBay ad. and this is the only thing holding up my progress there.
39Mb for a video clip that you expect eBay users to view is WAY too large. You should strongly consider using Windows Movie Maker to shrink it:

Drag the video into the collection area, and then drag that newly created clip into the Video track. File, Save Movie File, when you reach the Movie Settings dialog box choose "Show more choices" and pick maybe a 4 Mb file size. This will produce a 320x240 video clip at lower bitrate but should be fine for the content of your clip.

loneksy1

Post by loneksy1 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:26 am

Thanxx Gidget,

Actually, I ALREADY had those settings in my FF. The problem is: when I type the URL (for the video) in the address bar of a new FF window & hit the 'Enter' button or click the right-pointing arrow on the right of the bar, this saving function just automatically comes up, with a directory (eg. My Videos) to save the file in. It doesn't even come up with a dialogue box asking me to choose between saving it & 'opening it'. So, I don't know why I'm missing this step.

If the solution to this is not simple, I can easily resort to using IE 7.0. Just that I use FF most of the time, and when I can't get an uploaded file (a jpg or video) to show, I'm not sure if the problem is with the browser or somewhere else.

Thanxx again, Gidget

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:33 am

Lone

Try my alternate solution
Another option is to install a Firefox Extension called "IE Tab", available here, which you can use to embed Internet Explorer in a Mozilla/Firefox tab. I use this extension frequently - it works well.
Once installed, a single click on the toolbar changes the rendering of the page you are viewing from Firefox to IE.

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal