Cannot see my hosted jpg

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
ymo

Post by ymo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:39 am

When I click on that link in Firefox I get a dialog box with the following options:

Code: Select all

(X) Open with [Windows Media Player (default) v]
( ) DownThemAll!...
( ) dTaOneClick! on <path>
( ) Save to Disk

[ ] Do this automatically for files like this from now on.
If I were to click the "Save to Disk" button AND the "Do this automatically..." checkbox I would get the same results as you.

Have a look in "Tools -> Options -> Content -> File Types -> Manage" and see what you have selected for WMV files.

loneksy1

Post by loneksy1 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:48 am

Hello Corey,

Thanxx for your suggestion. Believe it or not, the clip only lasts 2 1/2 mins. It has that much Mb's because when I did the capture from my dig. vid. cam., I selected the highest resolution available. Then I overdubbed a sound-track as well.

When I used IE 7.0 to get to that URL, it took just over 1 min. of "buffering" before the vid. clip started playing back. I suppose in downloading terms, that's not bad at all, but is it because I am on ADSL 2+?

There is a concept in downloading that I haven't ever understood properly. When you try to, say, d/load a hosted vid. file and your computer tells you that it is, say, "X% Buffering", what does that mean? Does that mean that your computer is actually trying to d/load that file to it as a Temp.file in order to play it back? Or is it actually trying to get the video file to playback at the host's server end?

Understanding this will help me make better decisions in future on hosted vid. file sizes for, say, eBay purposes.

Thanxx a lot for your knowledge & expertise!!

Lone

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:04 am

The 1 minute of buffering is due to ADSL2+, yes. Actually, it is this quick because you are an Exetel customer, downloading from an Exetel site, so the speed is very high. Other users will take much longer to buffer the video.

Regardless of the speed of the eBay viewer's connection and the "buffering" nature of the video, they will always have to download a total of 39Mb of data in order to watch the entire video. The Buffering simply means that the playback of the video can occur before the file has completely downloaded. Once the percentage shown reaches 100% it means that your computer has downloaded enough of the video to commence playback and will continue to download the rest of the movie as you watch.

You should be shrinking the file size (using Windows Movie Maker as I explained) in order to make the download quicker and impact less on the viewer's monthly download quota. I actually downloaded your clip and shrunk it to a 4Mb file size without any noticable affect on the quality. It was still easily watchable (albeit at 320x240).

loneksy1

Post by loneksy1 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:12 am

Thanxx so much again, Corey. Do you mind e-mailing me (my e-mail address: lonesky1@yahoo.com.au) that 4 Mb clip to me ASAP so I can compare it to the original 38Mb? Should be interesting!

I will check out the shrinking function on Windows Movie Maker. I don't really have much experience with this program, but will definitely learn some more about it.

Thanxx a great deal for your tips - very invaluable indeed!

Best Regards,

Lone

loneksy1

Post by loneksy1 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:35 am

Hello Gidget,

Have d/load IE Tab. Will test it properly tomorrow. Just 1 point of curiosity, though. What was your reason(s) for using both browsers? Was one more suitable for certain things and the other for other applications?

Thanxx again, Gidget!

Lone