Web space configuration

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
Ted D

Web space configuration

Post by Ted D » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:17 am

I,m not sure if this is the correct forum for my problem but here goes.

I am trying to set up my web space and on the page titled 'web page configuration' it says to click on the "Add Web Space" button above.

I don't see any button!

Is my browser configured incorrectly, if so how should it be configured, or is there some other issue?

The operating system is Windows XP and I use Internet Explorer.

Please keep replies simple as this is all rocket science to me.

Thanks

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:25 pm

Hi Ted

Assuming that you made this post from your own service (i.e. you are posting from your own IP), the reason that you don't see the setup webspace button is because you have already set it up (I see that you have been a customer for a while so perhaps you forgot doing so many moons ago).

Your webspace name is displayed on the page you referred to - you can change the name or login password on that page if you want/need to.

All you need to do then is upload your pages :D

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Ted D

How do I update my index file?

Post by Ted D » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:01 pm

After I made the post I realised that I had tried to set up web space previously but without success.

When I go to the configuration page my web space details are there but when I use the link to my web address URL it sends me to the page that says:

"You are viewing this default web page because you have not yet updated your own index.html file.

- Please do the following:

1) Log into the Secure Users Facility

2) On the right hand side, click on Web Space/FTP Tools

3) Click on Web space configuration

4) Click on the Add Web Space button

5) In the Web Address row, type in your desired web space name.

This name can be anything you like, for example rosemary. However it must be unique, so if someone else has already taken that name you will not be able to create the web space with that name and you will have to choose another name.

Using the example, your web space link would then be http://home.exetel.com.au/rosemary/

6) Now you need to upload your web pages to the home.exetel.com.au web server.

There are instructions on the web site setup page called "How To Upload File using Internet Explorer" that you should follow. Alternatively you can use any ftp program to transfer files to your new web site.

The ftp server name is home.exetel.com.au
The account name is your 10 digit phone number.
The password is the password you created when you set up your web site.

THE MOST COMMON PROBLEM people have with their web site is not having a file called index.html. Without this file you will get the error message "Forbidden You don't have permission to access /****/ on this server". You MUST have a file called index.html.

If you need more help or additional information please go to: http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=9939

This requires you to have an index file, this must be called index.html"

How do I update my index file?

When I enter the address details "To Use Internet Explorer to Upload your Files" and my password it sends me to the page that says:

"FTP root at home.exetel.com.au
To view this FTP site in Windows Explorer, click Page, and then click Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01/18/2008 10:40PM Directory New Folder
07/09/2007 12:00AM 3,059 index.html"

When I use the New Folder link on this page I can a couple of things that I copied/uploaded into the folder.

The "How to Upload Files" instructions don't make any sense to me at all.

I guess I missed a step or something somewhere when I was trying to set up the web space. This is all new to me so therefore if possible could you please respond in simple terms.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:51 pm

It seems as though the web space is set up fine.

After you have accessed the FTP root page in Internet Explorer you can simply drag and drop files and directories from "My Computer" into this web page to upload them.

patnan

Re: Web space configuration

Post by patnan » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:19 am

Help some body please. I have the same problem as described above. When I go to the ftp root page all the files are there but when trying to view as a web page I get the you need to update your index.html message which when I look through the files seems to be there. Any help would be appreciated thanks
Pat

austdata

Re: Web space configuration

Post by austdata » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:59 pm

Wouldn't this thread be better served in the Web Space Hosting Issues?

Cheers,

Mike
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.