Help Me get Website Working Somebody PLEASE!!!

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
Geek

Help Me get Website Working Somebody PLEASE!!!

Post by Geek » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:48 pm

Well I am at the point where I am just feed up trying to get a straight answer from Provisioning whom seem to only want to send emails full of links to forums that really do not help.
So my questions are quite simple; How do I get to be able to view my webspace as I keep getting the infamous "You dont have permission to access etc etc"? Where can I download MySQL from so as I can access the database? Is it necessary to have MySQL as I am using FileZilla Client to upload the files to the Exetel site? What is the index.html and index.php files and where do I get them? If I have to create the index.html and index.php files myself what the heck goes in them?? Can anyone help??

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Help Me get Website Working Somebody PLEASE!!!

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:19 pm

Geek wrote:How do I get to be able to view my webspace as I keep getting the infamous "You dont have permission to access etc etc"?
You need to make sure that your webspace contains a file called index.html (see below)
Geek wrote:Where can I download MySQL from so as I can access the database? Is it necessary to have MySQL as I am using FileZilla Client to upload the files to the Exetel site?
What database? Exetel provide a central, shared instance of MySQL for you to access if you are creating a web page that requires a database. You do not need to download anything to use it, you simply code up pages in PHP that accesses the central database for whatever purpose you wish. If you simply wish to host static HTML files, you can ignore MySQL completely. Uploading files has nothing at all to do with MySQL; Filezilla (or even just plain Internet Explorer) will do.
Geek wrote:What is the index.html and index.php files and where do I get them? If I have to create the index.html and index.php files myself what the heck goes in them?? Can anyone help??
index.html can be blank if you really want it to be but it needs to exist in the root directory your webspace. By default, if you access your url without any filename (i.e. just the directory name like "http://home.exetel.com.au/directory/", the web server will try to find a file to automatically load. Exetel's web servers look for index.html and if it exists it uses it as a default. If it doesn't find it, it looks for index.php. If it can not find that one either, it returns an error. So just make a blank or a test index.html file and upload it to try to resolve your permission error.

If you like, you can post or PM me a link to your webspace directory for me to look at.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:55 pm

I suspect the OP really requires a tutorial for HTML and (possibly) PHP coding. There are several google-able online, as well as the general reference at http://www.htmlhelp.com/ A useful beginner's PHP tutorial can be found at http://www.tizag.com/phpT/
The gist of CSS can be picked up at http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/css/, but a trip to the bookshop is probably the OP's best option.

If desperate, for a very simple, rough job, a document written in your office application and saved as an HTML document named "index.html" may suffice. This file is then copied to the webspace using File Transfer Protocol (FTP). Remember that the Exetel server runs Linux, and when you copy Windows files across, watch out for filename case - "index" is not the same as "Index" or "INDEX". Your code can be error checked here http://validator.w3.org/

There are many purchasable apps for Windows that produce web sites, but the coding standard is often execrable. You will do a more workmanlike job with just the text editor that comes with your OS.

Geek

Post by Geek » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:11 pm

Thanks for the help I have got it working. I will add that think that if Exetel gave more clearer instructions on this issue from the get go then perhaps the forums would not be so overloaded with people experiencing the same issue!!

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:21 pm

Geek, the Exetel page's not too bad - https://www.exetel.com.au/members/ftp_web_space.php. It has already been filled out with extra help for people who know only Windows. This sort of thing is usually easier for users of Unix-like operating systems, which come complete with all the tools. The curt bit is: "1. Create your web space first."

It would take a lot of space to provide a tutorial here. If anyone knows the best HOW-TO link, perhaps it might suggested for insertion at that item.

[Edit} I should have quoted above: "1. Once you have created the web pages ... "

Geek

Post by Geek » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:38 pm

Ok so now that you say that it makes more sense. However my webpage was created first and I did find the instructions provided on the Exetel Users Facility page helpful. What went wrong was that at no stage was I informed that I needed to name the my very first webpage index.html. Now that would have been handy.

For those experiencing trouble, and using Windows, then I would suggest when you have your webpage ready save it as "index.html", then when you use your FTP Client to upload your files to the Exetel Server you shouldn't, fingers crossed and all goin to plan, have any problems.

Now seeing the nature of my website I guess I had better get cracking on, not only completing it, making a little help file for those wishing to use the Exetel webpage. But give me a chance guys as I have other things to get to first.

:mrgreen:

austdata

Post by austdata » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:31 am

G'day Geek,
If you have the time and inclination it may be an idea to write a short HOWTO based on your experience. It may help Exetel to develop improved documentation.

There is a common problem trying to document any software. The people that design it know how it should work and those that wrote know how it does work. Neither can document for those that have never used it or something like it.

The best technical writers are those that have no experience with anything but the writing software. :wink: And no fear of technology (of course :roll: )

Cheers,

Mike

PS: Any chance we can get the web site address now that you have roused our curiosity?
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

Geek

Post by Geek » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:30 am

Ok, ok, I am on it. But give me some time to get it organised.

http://home.exetel.com.au/chatterbox/

Now remember I am just getting it going.

austdata

Post by austdata » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:46 pm

Might be time to try Linux. :wink: May I suggest Kubuntu? :mrgreen:

Not bad, I had a good read.

Cheers,

Mike
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

Geek

Post by Geek » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:35 pm

@ Mike. I have tried Linux and just right now am way to busy to really get into it. But maybe......

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:31 pm

Geek, that's a very good start, thanks for sharing it. If you submit it to the validator I linked to earlier you will be given a list of simple code corrections, which will ensure a minimum of problems with various browsers (your DOCTYPE says you are using XHTML, whose rules are a little different from the code you have written). If the site develops it would be sensible to move your style material into a separate .css file.

I second austdata's suggestion to try Linux. Modern distros like Ubuntu or Kubuntu are much simpler to manage than Vista, standards compliant, and a great deal easier to develop on (full development environments available). Not to mention free. In any case they don't demand top level hardware for good performance, and you can kiss the security/malware nightmare goodbye. For diagnosing and fixing computers (any OS) a live mini-distro is invaluable. Try out Puppy Linux which fits an astonishing amount into only 80 megs - you can run this on your Windows box without harming anything on the hard drive.

Geek

Post by Geek » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:30 pm

OK guys thank you all for your help.

Now tell me what it is i need to do to follow the suggestions in the above comment as I am highly interested now. I might add I have been trying to add .css files and .js files to the website but I am obviously getting something wrong or as you say perhaps I should be using Linux.

I would also appreciate any weblinks you might want to share for me to study; cbwebmaster@exemail.com.au

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:33 pm

Geek, to do the css file, change your <head> to the following, and move the style material to "chatterbox.css" :
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>ChatterBox</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="chatterbox.css" type="text/css" />
</head>
Because of the way style is inherited you will quickly see simplifications, because much is common. Use of <div> would enable style to be attached to the divisions of the web page. All the positioning and layout (eg, text-align="center;") should be placed in the css as well, so that the index.html file has only "content". You are using some very specific typefaces, which will force your viewers' browsers to make-do with what is available - generic fonts like serif or sans-serif should be added. The XHTML errors are still there, please validate, or revert to an earlier HTML. the <br> tags are giving trouble, and, being used for positioning, could be in the css. I gave a css reference earlier. Good work, though; I should stop now, or the help forum mods will claim we are getting off-topic.

Geek

Post by Geek » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:54 pm

Ok I am currently looking at Dazzled's supplied websites. I also very much indeed welcome the help and support etc. I am also grateful for the CSS help that was posted above as well.

Obviously I am new to web design so keep sending me help and ideas I will not get shirty with you. I am going to create a CSS that will have all of the fonts, colors, pic etc in them, especailly now I have the means but of course that will take some time. There is a page about teenage suicide in todays society that I really need to get up so I am hyper-focusing on that for the time being. I will work on all else after that.

Oh yeah before I forget. My friends and I have a wireless network that we are all on and I now have access to it to be able to view the webpages I create so I can see how they look etc. Hopefully that will do for now. I am using Dreamweaver CS3 but really like to write code in TextPad, again I am just starting out so bare with me.

Anything else then let know.

Geek

Post by Geek » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:27 pm

Hello all. Just giving you an update on how things are going. I have had some good help from Dazzled and sent him some PM's but something seems a bit hanky with the PM system so I hope that you did get those and the thanks for all your help.

My website is now: www.chatterboxcentral.net