New home.exetel.com.au server

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
SysAdmin

New home.exetel.com.au server

Post by SysAdmin » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:24 pm

The new server is almost ready with, primarily, the changes to the ordering interface being left to be done.

With the new rebuild come a lot of changes so, before we let users at it I thought I would list some of the changes and pertinent bits of information:
  1. user-wise, the new server will have the following software:
    1. PHP 5 with the following major extensions:
      • mysql, mysqli, pdo_mysql
      • gd, imagick
      • mcrypt
    2. MySQL 5
    3. Apache 2.2
  2. all PHP shall be run as CGI. This means that all PHP scripts will run as the user that owns the website. This is good for security and accountability. The are a few points of note about this:

The good:
    1. all your PHP code will run as you.
    2. there will be no need to set group and/or world write permissions on any files or directories. This means that you do not need to set anything mode 777 or 666. At most the preferred modes are 705 (or 701) and 604. You can even use 700 and 600. This will permit your PHP scripts to access the files and directories, but not the web server (ie via direct access).
    3. safe_mode is off
    4. there will no longer be any ownership/permissions confusion between changes to files/directories created by your PHP scripts and stuff you upload via FTP. They are all owned by the one user (you) and you'll be able to manipulate them via both methods freely.
    5. your links will not change. this means that if you had http://home.exetel.com.au/website/page.php it shall continue to work on the new server.
    The potentially in-the-way getting:
    1. you will not be able to change PHP settings via .htaccess - these changes will need to be done via PHP code
    2. you must not set group or world write permissions on your PHP scripts. There are security settings in place that will present your scripts from running.
  3. quotas shall be strictly enforced
  4. your home directory and authentication details shall change:
    1. home directory shall be /home/freeweb/web/username/public_html - when you log in via FTP you will be placed there directly so this is more useful for those who need the information for PHP scripts
    2. your login username shall be fw_websitename
    3. your MySQL username and dbname shall follow a pattern of fwdbunumber and fwdbdnumber respectively (eg: fwdbu10 and fwdbd10).
  5. your website address will not change. this means it shall continue to be http://home.exetel.com.au/websitename.
The transfer of websites shall not be automated. The primary reason for this is that there are a lot of websites that people have lost interest in that contain blogs, forums, etc that are constantly hit by spammers, scammers and people with bad intentions. This generates a lot of load on the server and reduces the quality of service it provides.

As such, in order to not bring over a lot of the problems of the old web server onto the new, we will not be doing a blanket move of all the websites and, instead, request that those who care enough about them do so themselves. We will prevent anyone requesting a website name that is currently owned by a different party so people will be able to request the same name on the new server (or, if they choose, a different name).

We will keep both servers running simultaneously (obviously) and for a fortnight from the opening of the new server to customers, home.exetel.com.au will remain with the old server. We shall then move it over to the new and provide FTP access to the old server for a time afterwards. During the first fortnight, the websites on the new server will be accessible via a temporary hostname so that you can test your new site.

Moving your databases may get a tad complex but you can take a dump and upload via MyPHPAdmin which shall also be available on the new server.

Please note that this is a free service.

Andrew
Last edited by SysAdmin on Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: corrected mysql user and db name template

srssms

Re: New home.exetel.com.au server

Post by srssms » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:16 am

Can this be added to the member facilities to calculate space being used:

<?php

function getDirectorySize($path)
{
$totalsize = 0;
$totalcount = 0;
$dircount = 0;
if ($handle = opendir ($path))
{
while (false !== ($file = readdir($handle)))
{
$nextpath = $path . '/' . $file;
if ($file != '.' && $file != '..' && !is_link ($nextpath))
{
if (is_dir ($nextpath))
{
$dircount++;
$result = getDirectorySize($nextpath);
$totalsize += $result['size'];
$totalcount += $result['count'];
$dircount += $result['dircount'];
}
elseif (is_file ($nextpath))
{
$totalsize += filesize ($nextpath);
$totalcount++;
}
}
}
}
closedir ($handle);
$total['size'] = $totalsize;
$total['count'] = $totalcount;
$total['dircount'] = $dircount;
return $total;
}

function sizeFormat($size)
{
if($size<1024)
{
return $size." bytes";
}
else if($size<(1024*1024))
{
$size=round($size/1024,1);
return $size." KB";
}
else if($size<(1024*1024*1024))
{
$size=round($size/(1024*1024),1);
return $size." MB";
}
else
{
$size=round($size/(1024*1024*1024),1);
return $size." GB";
}

}

$path="/home/freeweb/web/$webspacename/public_html/";
$ar=getDirectorySize($path);

echo "".sizeFormat($ar['size'])."<br>";

?>

Just change the red code to whatever fectches the webspace name on https://www.exetel.com.au/members/ftp_c ... ink=link03

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:47 pm

srssms wrote:Can this be added to the member facilities to calculate space being used:
There'll be a checker available, though not initially. That said, the new server will, at least, stop you from going over with an error message.

Andrew

srssms

Post by srssms » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:27 pm

When will the server be finalised?

I can tell its still the old one because the forbidden page on http://home.exetel.com.au/ says PHP/4.3.8

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:20 am

srssms wrote:When will the server be finalised?
We're almost done. If no major problems turn up we should open up the new server to be used tomorrow.
I can tell its still the old one because the forbidden page on http://home.exetel.com.au/ says PHP/4.3.8
As per my earlier post, we'll be keeping home.exetel.com.au pointed to the old server for a fortnight during the transition period.

Andrew

croziac

Post by croziac » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:46 pm

Hello,
So has this been completed for paraphrasing what you have said

Login: fweb_websitename (ie. if its hello) fweb_hello?
Password: same as previous password as can be changed in the members area?

Databases may/may not be migrated.

If we do it before your move. Will it overwrite us updating it before hand?

Thanks in advance,
Croz

lingg

Post by lingg » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:10 pm

The New server plan for 'home.exetel.com.au' has been delayed to next Monday (01/09/2008),
we are sorry for any inconvenience caused by this.

We will send out notification when this job is completed.

nek1981

Post by nek1981 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:01 pm

So dose this mean I have to move all my files on the old server to this one? am lost because the images on my web space are linked to a number of forums so dose this mean ill now have to go and edit all my forums? :( Just like this one my sig if hosted by my web space

Please Help Me! :D add me to MSN if you like because I dont understand what I need to do now

Cheers NeK

TheToid

Post by TheToid » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:02 pm

*************** NEVERMIND I FOUND IT *************

http://temporary.mydbadmin.home.exetel.com.au/

Ok so there is a phpMyAdmin for the old server, what about the new one???

eg. the old one is:

https://mydbadmin.home.exetel.com.au/index.php

Whats the new one?

I gotta say exetel, this is quite terrible that we have to do this ourself, something that would take you a lot less time to do as a batch is just a waste of our time.... Uploading 80 meg over a 32 kbyte / second connection is painful at best, especially when its not needed, very unhappy....but deaf ears im sure... so it dosnt matter...
TheToid

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:14 pm

Hi everyone
I suggest you continue your discussion/questions on this thread
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=221&t=28595

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal