Unable to create table in database

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
Kazagha

Unable to create table in database

Post by Kazagha » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:26 pm

Hello,

I had just stumbled on a previous forum post from someone with similar problems, http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=221&t=28385. Thanks to Gidget's link I was able to get into the PHPmyadmin site but I can't create anything. I had assumed this was because of "Database connections can only be made locally by your PHP scripts on Exetel hosting Server(home.exetel.com.au)" on the web/blog information page, but it just seems crazy.

On the PHPmyadmin page, underneath "Create New Database" I have 'no privileges' in red, and when I tried to create a table I got an error message dialogue saying 'the page at http://mydatabaseadmin.exetel...' across the top and 'This is not a number!" in the body of the dialogue.

I can only assume this isn't normal or maybe I am doing something wrong.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Unable to create table in database

Post by Gidget » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:44 pm

Hi Kazagha

You don't have privileges to create a new database because Exetel allows only one database per service, and this is created via your User Facilities.

I just successfully created a table in my database using the "add table" function on phpmyadmin - you need to make sure that you put a value in the "Length/Values" box for each "field" before you click "save" otherwise you get the "this is not a number" error.

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Kazagha

Post by Kazagha » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:33 pm

Ah, I see, you are correct. I knew it would be something straight forward.

Thanks for you help Gidget.

Kazagha

Post by Kazagha » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:29 pm

Since we are on a down hill roll, I might as well continue greifing you with my scant knowledge of SQL.

I am now attempting to uploading a CSV file into my newly created table. I am using open office, so I have the option of field delimiter, text delimiter, and character set (of little consequence?). I have tried both "CSV" and "CSV using LOAD DATA". So "Fields terminated by" in PHPmyadmin should be the same as the field delimiter, and "Fields enclosed by" will be the text delimiter. "Fields escaped by" I have left as \ and blank, "Lines terminated by" I left as default. The error message I am getting is "file could not be read"

I assume I don't need the columns names as the first row in the CSV file, the type is varchar(xx) in all rows so it shouldn't make a difference.

Any help would be appreciated -_-()

Kazagha

Post by Kazagha » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:18 pm

I can manually enter data, but if I export the data to a CSV using the default settings. Then delete the data. When I try to import from that same file it gives me the "Error; File Could Not Be Read" message. Is this something I am doing wrong? I can link screenies if that would help.

http://www.nabble.com/Problem-with-impo ... 69101.html ?

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:39 pm

What size is your CSV file? phpmyadmin has a limit on the file size it can import - I think from memory it is 2 MB. It could also be an issue due to the free web server running in safe mode (this will change when the server is upgraded shortly).

I have used BigDump: Staggered MySQL Dump Importer successfully in the past on my own server with a large file import. Although I haven't tried it on the Exetel server, BigDump says it also works in safe mode so you could give that a try.

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

Kazagha

Post by Kazagha » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:49 pm

Thanks for your help Gidget. For the purpose of the exercise I set up a test database, and the CSV file I am importing is only two lines of four columns. As for the safe mode issue, wouldn't it be affecting the entire user community and not just me? Surely someone else would have come to the forums if this was the case.

I will try BigDump this evening regardless and get back to you with the results.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:11 pm

Kazagha wrote:As for the safe mode issue, wouldn't it be affecting the entire user community and not just me?
You are right of course - I could well be talking out of the hole in my head :D Anyway, if BigDump doesn't do the trick hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will come along and solve the problem for you. Otherwise, I'll ask Sys Admin to have a look.

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

Kazagha

Post by Kazagha » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:07 am

Success! It appears that BigDump has done the trick. It looked a little hardcore at first but it was quite easy to use when I looked into it.

Thanks again for your help Gidget.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:18 am

No problem - glad I could help :D

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

leithant

Post by leithant » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:25 am

Sorry for the noob question, but which username/password do I use at https://mydbadmin.home.exetel.com.au ?

Thanks.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:35 am

leithant wrote:Sorry for the noob question, but which username/password do I use at https://mydbadmin.home.exetel.com.au ?
If you are transferring an old website, you use your old details. If you are creating a new website that you have just requested, you, for the moment, use https://temporary.mydbadmin.home.exetel.com.au/ with the username/password details given to you via the membership interface.

See the two announcement posts for greater detail.

Andrew

leithant

Post by leithant » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:14 pm

sorry - not clear enough. Do I use my database name, ftp name or what?

danielc

Post by danielc » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:04 pm

You use your database access username and password.

leithant

Post by leithant » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:33 pm

hmmm that's what I thought - I keep getting #1045 - Access denied for user