New home.exetel.com.au server now available for use

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
SysAdmin

New home.exetel.com.au server now available for use

Post by SysAdmin » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:17 pm

The new home.exetel.com.au server is now available for use. All new accounts shall be created on this server. Please read the previous announcement for details on the server so far. New details shall be posted here.

As the previous post indicates, we are now entering a cross over period. This means that home.exetel.com.au will continue to point to the old server for a period of 2 weeks. The websites on the new server shall be accessible via temporary.home.exetel.com.au until the end of this period.

No websites currently available via home.exetel.com.au will be migrated. If you wish to preserve your website you will need to request a new free web hosting account via the membership interface and migrate your site across. We have made effort to ensure that new website creations are checked against the old server so that no one can "steal" another persons website.

For the duration of this crossover you will need to ftp to temporary.home.exetel.com.au to upload to the new server. To view your new site you'll need to use http://temporary.home.exetel.com.au/mysite rather than http://home.exetel.com.au/mysite. Once the corssover period ends the home.exetel.com.au address will point to the new server.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in this forum. Any useful information that arises from your posts shall be added to this post so that other users can find the information easily.

The crossover period will end 22/09/2008.

Please note that this is a free service.

Andrew

===================================

Summary of addresses for the new server during the crossover period:

Website URL: http//temporary.home.exetel.com.au/mysite
FTP Upload host: temporary.home.exetel.com.au
MySQL Admin URL: http://temporary.mydbadmin.home.exetel.com.au/

Added Thu Sep 4 17:38:32 EST 2008:

When you create an account it wont be fully activated until you get an email indicating so.
When you delete an account you wont be able to create another until you receive an email indicating that the deletion has taken place.

Added Fri Sep 5 08:59:36 EST 2008:

For those who do not keep backups of their website phelum has made available a php script that can help make the transfer easier. Feel free to check out his post for more details. (Obviously don't forget to remove the script once you've done the transfer :))

Also, some possibly handy hints from TheToid are available for those moving a WordPress blog across.

Added Fri Sep 5 22:37:21 EST 2008:

Please note point 2b in the previous announcement. If you get "500" type errors on php files it's more than likely that the files or directories are group or world writable. You'll need to remove these permissions as there is a security check in place that prevents php files from being executed when someone other than the owner can write to them.

Added Fri Sep 19 14:15:57 EST 2008:

For those of you who wish to upload a zip file and extract it on the server leithant has gone through the various options and proclaimed a winner. Feel free to check it out. It may help you get your website on the new server quicker.

Obviously, once done, please delete the unzipper so as not to cause potential problems. Also take note of the problem leithant had and his solution.

vk3xem

Re: New home.exetel.com.au server now available for use

Post by vk3xem » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:46 pm

Does this include the blogs or is it just web space?
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:50 pm

vk3xem wrote:Does this include the blogs or is it just web space?
Just web space. Blogs are not being moved.

Andrew

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:59 pm

Unfortunately a problem has been discovered that did not come up in testing and as such creation of mysql access has been turned off until tomorrow.

We apologise for the inconvenience.

Andrew

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:18 pm

SysAdmin wrote:Unfortunately a problem has been discovered that did not come up in testing and as such creation of mysql access has been turned off until tomorrow.
This has now been returned to service.

Andrew

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:48 pm

What will happen to the old server after two weeks?

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:39 pm

thomashouseman wrote:What will happen to the old server after two weeks?
Eventually it'll be recycled (ie put to another use). More immediately it'll cease to serve web traffic and, for a period, become read-only via ftp.

Andrew

ssyt99

Post by ssyt99 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:39 pm

Hi,

I tried to create the webspace on the new server with my old webspace name. It said "creation failed". Does it mean I have to use a new name for the webspace? Then how can I transfer the old webspace to the new one?

Regards

ufohunter

Post by ufohunter » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:40 pm

I just tried to create a new web account and just got the message:
Creation Failed

What I did was:
- Go to Web Space Configuration menu
- typed in the same website name as i had on the old server
- Clicked Add

Is is the right process? Or there's some other way to do it?

Cheers,
Michael

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:55 pm

I'm looking into this now. Sunnybear, sorry about accidentally editing your post. Clicked the wrong button when trying to reply. Feel free to repost.

Andrew

stetner

Post by stetner » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:59 pm

Ditto on this issue

one pom

Post by one pom » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:08 pm

Creation Failed
I'm getting the same error message with anything I try to use.

sunnybear

Post by sunnybear » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:09 pm

SysAdmin wrote:I'm looking into this now. Sunnybear, sorry about accidentally editing your post. Clicked the wrong button when trying to reply. Feel free to repost.

Andrew
hah..that is ok..just let us know when the problem would be fixed...

cheers

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:15 pm

Can you all please try again? I believe it is all sorted now.

Andrew

leigh308

Post by leigh308 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:22 pm

I suspect that the issue is that the address is temporary.home.exetel.com.au/websitename but you can apparently only create home.exetel.com.au/websitename unless wysiwyg is not true.
I think if the server demands temporary as a prefix and the form only allows the original we're screwed for the moment...it will always return creation failed. Not exactly the cleverest if this is the case..