New home.exetel.com.au server now available for use

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
saint

Re: .htaccess problem

Post by saint » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:37 pm

phelum wrote:Has anybody got a site with .htaccess working on the new server? If so, what permissions or tricks did you use?

Thanks,
This is probably due to the fact things are now executing as CGI. If the file is empty, a 500 error shouldn't occur though :?

saint

Re: New home.exetel.com.au server now available for use

Post by saint » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:43 pm

SysAdmin wrote:If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in this forum.
Hi Andrew - just a few things...

To start with, wasn't the database username/dbname supposed to be resembling the webspace login? Currently it's follows a fwdb_uxx style. Second, I'm assuming phpMyAdmin shouldn't be allowing us to create extra databases... especially since we can't drop them either. Currently phpMyAdmin looks at the pattern as fwdb?dxx where the ? can be any sort of character. Finally, how can we set or change the webspace and database passwords?

Cheers,

peterbell

Post by peterbell » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:49 pm

peterbell wrote:What is the URL for the mysql manager on the temporary server?

Thanks

Peter.
To Answer my own question. https://temporary.home.exetel.com.au

Peter.

phelum

Post by phelum » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:57 pm

saint wrote:
phelum wrote:Has anybody got a site with .htaccess working on the new server? If so, what permissions or tricks did you use?
This is probably due to the fact things are now executing as CGI. If the file is empty, a 500 error shouldn't occur though :?
PHP runs as a CGI which is great (I presume this is suPHP). But I can't get any CGIs to run. Has anybody managed to get a .cgi or .pl script to run? I suspect I need +ExecCGI and maybe AddHandler for this so I'll wait until the .htaccess problem is fixed.

I did manage to copy my entire site directly from the old server to the new one using a PHP script and the good thing is that all the files have my UID and GID. This is much better than the old PHP.

Update: Things have changed slightly. The error 500 seems to be caused by the .htaccess file containing either an "Options" statement or a "DirectoryIndex" statement. Strange stuff indeed.
-- Steven Saunderson

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:06 pm

phelum wrote:
saint wrote:
PHP runs as a CGI which is great (I presume this is suPHP).
Correct. :)
But I can't get any CGIs to run. Has anybody managed to get a .cgi or .pl script to run? I suspect I need +ExecCGI and maybe AddHandler for this so I'll wait until the .htaccess problem is fixed.
The .htaccess problem /should/ be fixed now. WRT the CGIs I wont be permitting the run out of random locations so that will still fail.
I did manage to copy my entire site directly from the old server to the new one using a PHP script and the good thing is that all the files have my UID and GID. This is much better than the old PHP.
Glad you like it. :)
Update: Things have changed slightly. The error 500 seems to be caused by the .htaccess file containing either an "Options" statement or a "DirectoryIndex" statement. Strange stuff indeed.
Correct. I've allowed "DirectoryIndex" (don't know why I left that off) but not all Options statements (only MultiViews).

Andrew

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:10 pm

saint wrote:
SysAdmin wrote:If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in this forum.
Hi Andrew - just a few things...

To start with, wasn't the database username/dbname supposed to be resembling the webspace login? Currently it's follows a fwdb_uxx style.
Intent hit the brick wall of reality when I failed to notice the 16 character limit on MySQL usernames. Hence creation of mysql access being off last night and the change in the user and db name that we have now.
Second, I'm assuming phpMyAdmin shouldn't be allowing us to create extra databases... especially since we can't drop them either.
Hrmph. This shall be fixed tomorrow morning and any databases that aren't official shall be removed. I really hate MySQL as I tested this and it failed to make one for me. Most annoying.
Currently phpMyAdmin looks at the pattern as fwdb?dxx where the ? can be any sort of character. Finally, how can we set or change the webspace and database passwords?
Via the membership interface's big change password buttons. :)

Andrew

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:11 pm

Snow Gun wrote:Am I correct in assuming, that all I need to do is copy my site (via ftp) to my machine, then copy it back again to the new server, then do the same with the Database (using myphpadmin or whatever it is??)??
In a nutshell, yes.

Andrew

sunnybear

Post by sunnybear » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:12 pm

glad see u back sysadmin. i still cant fxp files from one to the other..
please help me for solving this problem, otherwise i will need to upload all the files from local driver which would take ages and utilise all my upstream bandwidth :(

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:15 pm

sunnybear wrote:hi
it's now working with creating new web name and i am able to log on to the ftp temproary.home.exetel.com.au as well

however, i can't FXP the file from the old one to the new one, i copy and paste the transfer logs below.
i am not quite often use FTP, not sure where it went wrong
FXP is explicitly turned off. That said, I'll look into turning it on for the old server only. If I can I'll do so tomorrow. If not it'll remain off.

Andrew

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:17 pm

Mulder wrote:So let me get this right. If I do nothing now come the cut off date all the stuff I have now on the server will be erased. After that date I can reload any web site I have to the new server and not change any settings in my FTP that exist now. Other wise I have to change FTP settings now then change them back to what they are now in 2 weeks.
Is this correct? If so I may just wait 2 weeks because I cant get any of the new setting to work and cannot migrate anything to the new server. No matter what settings it wont allow me to log in.
If you do nothing, come the cut off date your website will go offline because home.exetel.com.au will point at the new server and your website wont be there. At that point you can still download your old website from the old server and install it onto the new. Once the old server goes offline though, that will be that.

Andrew

phelum

Post by phelum » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:24 pm

SysAdmin wrote:
Correct. I've allowed "DirectoryIndex" (don't know why I left that off) but not all Options statements (only MultiViews).

Andrew
I see that DirectoryIndex is now allowed but it doesn't seem to have any effect. It looks like the base DirectoryIndex puts index.php before index.htm. I've specified "DirectoryIndex index.php" but I'm still getting my index.php (a test page) when I request the default page.

Re the Options restriction: I appreciate that you are disallowing +ExecCGI but why can't you allow Indexes and Includes ? I like -Indexes as my default. I presume you will support SSI so why not allow +Includes ?

Thanks,
-- Steven Saunderson

phelum

Post by phelum » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:27 pm

sunnybear wrote:glad see u back sysadmin. i still cant fxp files from one to the other..
please help me for solving this problem, otherwise i will need to upload all the files from local driver which would take ages and utilise all my upstream bandwidth :(
Do you want a PHP script that will do this? Please ask if you do and I'll supply details. I also baulked at the idea of downloading everything and then uploading it.
-- Steven Saunderson

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:29 pm

phelum wrote:I see that DirectoryIndex is now allowed but it doesn't seem to have any effect. It looks like the base DirectoryIndex puts index.php before index.htm. I've specified "DirectoryIndex index.php" but I'm still getting my index.php (a test page) when I request the default page.
Most strange. I'll look into that.
Re the Options restriction: I appreciate that you are disallowing +ExecCGI but why can't you allow Indexes and Includes ? I like -Indexes as my default. I presume you will support SSI so why not allow +Includes ?
Well I do allow Includes... :)

Andrew

phelum

Post by phelum » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:38 pm

SysAdmin wrote:
phelum wrote:Re the Options restriction: I appreciate that you are disallowing +ExecCGI but why can't you allow Indexes and Includes ? I like -Indexes as my default. I presume you will support SSI so why not allow +Includes ?
Well I do allow Includes... :)

Andrew
I just tested again and still get error 500 as soon as I put "Options +Includes" in .htaccess. The error goes once I comment the line so it isn't a caching problem at my end.

Re Indexes : Can you please allow it? I can't see any risk in "Options -Indexes" and the hassle with the restriction is that there is no meaningful error message. Maybe if we could see the error log it would highlight the problem but since we can't it is just a case of change and test until we find it.
-- Steven Saunderson

sunnybear

Post by sunnybear » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:38 pm

phelum wrote:
sunnybear wrote:glad see u back sysadmin. i still cant fxp files from one to the other..
Do you want a PHP script that will do this? Please ask if you do and I'll supply details. I also baulked at the idea of downloading everything and then uploading it.
oh please send me a PHP script to solve this problem
i will pm you my email address
very much appreciated