New home.exetel.com.au server now available for use

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
austdata

Re: New home.exetel.com.au server now available for use

Post by austdata » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:09 pm

Gidget wrote:For the record though, if you do happen to click "Save", you can retrieve it by clicking on "User Control Panel" - then, on the "Overview" tab you will find the "Manage drafts" option in the left-hand menu. From there, you can "Load" the draft and edit/post it.
Hey, guess what I found?! Thanks for that Gidget. Unfortunately they were all out of date. :mrgreen:
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

TheToid

Post by TheToid » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:20 am

Quick question, what happens to the old sites on the 22nd, are they wiped completely, or can we still get access to them, basically i just wish to know what the last day will be where we have MySQLAdmin access to the old site because i need to reimport my database as close to the change over as possible so that i dont lose peoples posts in the forums...

Thanks in advance for your response...
TheToid

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:49 am

TheToid wrote:Quick question, what happens to the old sites on the 22nd, are they wiped completely, or can we still get access to them, basically i just wish to know what the last day will be where we have MySQLAdmin access to the old site because i need to reimport my database as close to the change over as possible so that i dont lose peoples posts in the forums...
The old site will remain available for at least 2 weeks so that people can do precisely that sort of thing. :)

Andrew

juswhe

is there a simpler option?

Post by juswhe » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:47 pm

What happens if I do nothing before the 22nd? Will I then be able to set up the new site, using my local files, without going through all this temporary server rigmarole? I guess I'm looking for the low-effort option, and having my site down for a day or so is not critical.

Also, although I really don't want to be narky, it's not a free service - it's something included in a package we pay for. And I second the earlier comment about this being a strangely complicated way of migrating content - why we couldn't have had a simple "yes please" option for auto-migration is not clear to me.

SysAdmin

Re: is there a simpler option?

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:26 pm

juswhe wrote:What happens if I do nothing before the 22nd? Will I then be able to set up the new site, using my local files, without going through all this temporary server rigmarole? I guess I'm looking for the low-effort option, and having my site down for a day or so is not critical.
If you do nothing your site will go down on the 22nd. You can create and setup your own site at any time be it before or after the 22nd.

Andrew

juswhe

Post by juswhe » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:30 pm

SysAdmin wrote:If you do nothing your site will go down on the 22nd. You can create and setup your own site at any time be it before or after the 22nd.

Andrew
But presumably if I wait until after it goes down I can simply create the new site and upload all my files directly to it without changing any of my settings in Dreamweaver?

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:34 pm

juswhe wrote:
SysAdmin wrote:If you do nothing your site will go down on the 22nd. You can create and setup your own site at any time be it before or after the 22nd.
But presumably if I wait until after it goes down I can simply create the new site and upload all my files directly to it without changing any of my settings in Dreamweaver?
I'd say so, yes. Thew only caveats I can think of are:

1. if you're using absolute pathnames in code, you'll need to fix those
2. if you're using the mysql db you'll need to use the new user and db names.

Andrew

juswhe

Post by juswhe » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:21 pm

SysAdmin wrote:I'd say so, yes. Thew only caveats I can think of are:

1. if you're using absolute pathnames in code, you'll need to fix those
2. if you're using the mysql db you'll need to use the new user and db names.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew - I don't think I have absolute pathnames (assuming you're referring to internal hyperlinks), or at least they're easily fixed. But if the new server will be eventually set up like the old server, why wouldn't they work anyway?

thanks for your quick responses, by the way. Justin

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:28 pm

juswhe wrote:Thanks Andrew - I don't think I have absolute pathnames (assuming you're referring to internal hyperlinks), or at least they're easily fixed.
More if, for example, you have PHP code and it refers to files and/or directories within your website via absolute paths, they would break. Generally this is rather rare.
But if the new server will be eventually set up like the old server, why wouldn't they work anyway?
It's not. It's quite different in a fair few ways.

Andrew

stevebow

Post by stevebow » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:17 pm

phelum wrote:The PHP script to copy a site to another server is at http://phelum.net/files/pathimport.php. It will be delivered as a text file to your browser so please save it to disk and then upload it to your new site.

Once the script is uploaded enter <http://temporary.home.exetel.com.au/you ... import.php>. A form will be displayed.
Thanks very much, this has worked perfectly. Even file timestamps have been preserved, nice.

stevebow

Post by stevebow » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:37 pm

I've set up and migrated my old site to the new server without problems.

I just have two questions:

1. Will we be able to determine our own FTP password please? The password I used on the old server was something I could remember if I had to do an update away from home. The passwords generated in the User Facilities consisting of random chars I will never remember!

2. Is it/will it be possible to preserve file timestamps for files uploaded via ftp? I have enabled this option in Filezilla which notes that the server must support the MFMT command for this to work. Currently it doesn't - is this something that can be enabled at the server please?

Ta.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:47 pm

stevebow wrote:1. Will we be able to determine our own FTP password please? The password I used on the old server was something I could remember if I had to do an update away from home. The passwords generated in the User Facilities consisting of random chars I will never remember!
Sorry but having seen the passwords people choose it was decided that this was the safer course of action. That said you can generate passwords as often as you like so you can get to one that you'll find easy to remember - try pronouncing them as they come.
2. Is it/will it be possible to preserve file timestamps for files uploaded via ftp? I have enabled this option in Filezilla which notes that the server must support the MFMT command for this to work. Currently it doesn't - is this something that can be enabled at the server please?
Yes and no. Yes we will enable it as soon as ProFTPd 1.3.2 is released (see http://bugs.proftpd.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3015).

Andrew

JamesR

Post by JamesR » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:13 pm

Don't know if it's just me, but I'm experiencing a very bad connection to the temporary server at the moment...

Is there anything going on that I am not aware of?
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

stevebow

Post by stevebow » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:21 pm

SysAdmin wrote:
stevebow wrote:Yes and no. Yes we will enable it as soon as ProFTPd 1.3.2 is released (see http://bugs.proftpd.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3015).
Ah yes, so I see. Nice. I see in the rc1 release notes the module responsible is compiled in by default. Let's hope it stays that way for the final release. And that we don't have to wait the 5 months between release candidates before the final version is released!

Thanks.

peterbell

Post by peterbell » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:03 pm

Is there as set time for the change over to the new server?

Thanks

Peter.

PS. Hint.
I have set the old server to transfer requests for some applications to the new server and database. When the change over happens this should just work.

P.