New home.exetel.com.au server now available for use

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
patara

Re: New home.exetel.com.au server now available for use

Post by patara » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:03 am

I applied for my new web space in the same name as my current one and then attempted to transfer the files from my computer to it using the temporary ftp address via IE which is how I have always uploaded my files. But I just keep getting a message that 'the folder is read-only because the proxy server is not set up to allow full access. To move files etc you must use a different proxy.' I'm sorry but I don't understand what that means so would appreciate some help. I have around 83MB to load up as I do digigraphics. I did try setting up a ftp network in My Computer but get the same result. All I see is a page saying FTP root at temporary.home etc. but I cannot drop anything on the page.
Would I be better waiting until the transfer is complete and then upload via IE as I normally do?....Pat

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:07 am

patara wrote:I applied for my new web space in the same name as my current one and then attempted to transfer the files from my computer to it using the temporary ftp address via IE which is how I have always uploaded my files. But I just keep getting a message that 'the folder is read-only because the proxy server is not set up to allow full access. To move files etc you must use a different proxy.' I'm sorry but I don't understand what that means so would appreciate some help. I have around 83MB to load up as I do digigraphics. I did try setting up a ftp network in My Computer but get the same result. All I see is a page saying FTP root at temporary.home etc. but I cannot drop anything on the page.
Would I be better waiting until the transfer is complete and then upload via IE as I normally do?....Pat
Can you PM me your website details and I'll see if I can spot anything fishy. Your service number would also be great.

Thanks,
Andrew

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:46 am

patara wrote:I applied for my new web space in the same name as my current one and then attempted to transfer the files from my computer to it using the temporary ftp address via IE which is how I have always uploaded my files.
Someone else came in with what looks like a similar problem on live support. I've fixed things for them and I suspect that should fix things for you also. Please give it another go.

Andrew

TheToid

Post by TheToid » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:00 pm

SysAdmin wrote:I've fixed this by removing the underscore from all db and user names. I've also changed the 15 or so websites that use the db so no one needs to change anything (except possibly their notes). The interface shall be fixed as soon as a developer has a moment to spare.
Hey thats pretty cool, cheers for doing that :)
TheToid

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:01 pm

TheToid wrote:
SysAdmin wrote:I've fixed this by removing the underscore from all db and user names. I've also changed the 15 or so websites that use the db so no one needs to change anything (except possibly their notes). The interface shall be fixed as soon as a developer has a moment to spare.
Hey thats pretty cool, cheers for doing that :)
No worries. The interface (I forgot to mention) has been fixed so it's all as it should be, now.

Andrew

SysAdmin

Re: .htaccess problem

Post by SysAdmin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:30 pm

SysAdmin wrote:
phelum wrote:I see that DirectoryIndex is now allowed but it doesn't seem to have any effect. It looks like the base DirectoryIndex puts index.php before index.htm. I've specified "DirectoryIndex index.php" but I'm still getting my index.php (a test page) when I request the default page.
Most strange. I'll look into that.
I looked. There was a rather obscure single-character bug in the config that broke things in this subtle way. It's fixed and tested now so enjoy. :)

Andrew

lownoise

Post by lownoise » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:52 pm

Is there a way to retain the functionality of .htaccess with Options +Indexes under this new system? I need to retain the ability to display directories. .htaccess now breaks the web page.

EDIT - I note that it is now fixed - thanks!
:)
Last edited by lownoise on Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:17 pm

lownoise wrote:Is there a way to retain the functionality of .htaccess with Options +Indexes under this new system? I need to retain the ability to display directories. .htaccess now breaks the web page.
Right, well... I've looked some more into this and, well... yes, afterall. :)

Andrew

phelum

Re: .htaccess problem

Post by phelum » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:57 pm

SysAdmin wrote:I looked. There was a rather obscure single-character bug in the config that broke things in this subtle way. It's fixed and tested now so enjoy. :)
Thanks for this. All seems okay now Also -Indexes works now which is good.
-- Steven Saunderson

Godde

Post by Godde » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:05 pm

hi guys, I've created a new webspace as instructed, but I can't seem to log into the FTP, and I also haven't received any email notification regarding the new webspace creation (since this morning). Is it normal or something went wrong?
(I've tried to log onto the temporary FTP with my old passwords n resetted password, both said login incorrect)

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:44 pm

Godde wrote:hi guys, I've created a new webspace as instructed, but I can't seem to log into the FTP, and I also haven't received any email notification regarding the new webspace creation (since this morning). Is it normal or something went wrong?
(I've tried to log onto the temporary FTP with my old passwords n resetted password, both said login incorrect)
You'll need to provide me with your service number and the name of your website via PM.

Andrew

JuBu

Post by JuBu » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:52 pm

If I would like more than the 200Mb of allocated space, what are my options?

My reason for asking is that my parents are overseas and don't get to see their grandson growing up. I've been using the old server to post home videos every weekend so my parents can keep up. Now I won't be able to post anything longer than about 7 minutes , which is very disappointing. The old server wouldn't automatically cut me off if my file was a bit over the limit, but this one does :(

I understand that this is a free service, but I'm still pretty disappointed. :( :( :(

Snow Gun

Post by Snow Gun » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:56 pm

Well, I'm half way there.

My site mainly consists of a PHPBB3 forum, and a Coppermine photogallery.

After mucking around for a small amount of time, I worked out how to configure the PHPBB3 config.php to utilise the new DB credentials. I haven't had the same luck with the Coppermine gallery.

I've spent a bit of time on it this evening, and am quickly losing interest. I am getting the 500 error, and I'm no :NERD: so don't understand it fully. I do have a basic understanding though, as I've configured it successfully a few times......

Any ideas? I have edited the DB info in the include/config.inc.php which is essentially all I had to do with the PHPBB3 installation, although the error message I am getting is completely different.

If anyone wants to know how to config the PHPBB3 (or probably the earlier version) I'm happy to assist.

I have only recently noticed the updated post about the different username minus the underscore but that didn't help.

Please help me save my sanity.....

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:11 pm

Snow Gun wrote:After mucking around for a small amount of time, I worked out how to configure the PHPBB3 config.php to utilise the new DB credentials. I haven't had the same luck with the Coppermine gallery.

I've spent a bit of time on it this evening, and am quickly losing interest. I am getting the 500 error, and I'm no :NERD: so don't understand it fully. I do have a basic understanding though, as I've configured it successfully a few times......
Please see the first announcement, point 2b.

Andrew

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:14 pm

JuBu wrote:If I would like more than the 200Mb of allocated space, what are my options?

My reason for asking is that my parents are overseas and don't get to see their grandson growing up. I've been using the old server to post home videos every weekend so my parents can keep up. Now I won't be able to post anything longer than about 7 minutes , which is very disappointing. The old server wouldn't automatically cut me off if my file was a bit over the limit, but this one does :(
To be honest that is one of the reasons for the upgrade (that the allowed disk space is strictly enforced). The only thing I can suggest to you at this moment is to either use better compression or to lower the quality so that the compression is improved.

Andrew