New home.exetel.com.au server now available for use

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
JuBu

Re: New home.exetel.com.au server now available for use

Post by JuBu » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:26 pm

SysAdmin wrote:
JuBu wrote:If I would like more than the 200Mb of allocated space, what are my options?

My reason for asking is that my parents are overseas and don't get to see their grandson growing up. I've been using the old server to post home videos every weekend so my parents can keep up. Now I won't be able to post anything longer than about 7 minutes , which is very disappointing. The old server wouldn't automatically cut me off if my file was a bit over the limit, but this one does :(
To be honest that is one of the reasons for the upgrade (that the allowed disk space is strictly enforced). The only thing I can suggest to you at this moment is to either use better compression or to lower the quality so that the compression is improved.

Andrew
Windows Movie Maker quality is already pretty poor! :lol:

I take your point though, so thank-you for the quick reply.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:47 pm

JuBu wrote:
SysAdmin wrote:
JuBu wrote:If I would like more than the 200Mb of allocated space, what are my options?

My reason for asking is that my parents are overseas and don't get to see their grandson growing up. I've been using the old server to post home videos every weekend so my parents can keep up. Now I won't be able to post anything longer than about 7 minutes , which is very disappointing. The old server wouldn't automatically cut me off if my file was a bit over the limit, but this one does :(
To be honest that is one of the reasons for the upgrade (that the allowed disk space is strictly enforced). The only thing I can suggest to you at this moment is to either use better compression or to lower the quality so that the compression is improved.

Andrew
Windows Movie Maker quality is already pretty poor! :lol:

I take your point though, so thank-you for the quick reply.
you can always edit down to shorter clips and host the files on YouTube for free (if you start with good quality files the converted files still come out pretty good) and then just embed the links in your site, you can still give them access and not chew up your bandwidth. The other option is to use something like Megaupload to send the files and they can download them http://www.megaupload.com/ you can send quite large files this way

Snow Gun

Post by Snow Gun » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:57 pm

SysAdmin wrote:
Snow Gun wrote:After mucking around for a small amount of time, I worked out how to configure the PHPBB3 config.php to utilise the new DB credentials. I haven't had the same luck with the Coppermine gallery.

I've spent a bit of time on it this evening, and am quickly losing interest. I am getting the 500 error, and I'm no :NERD: so don't understand it fully. I do have a basic understanding though, as I've configured it successfully a few times......
Please see the first announcement, point 2b.

Andrew
So are you saying that I should change all the permissions BACK to 705 or so?

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:08 pm

Snow Gun wrote:
SysAdmin wrote:
Snow Gun wrote:After mucking around for a small amount of time, I worked out how to configure the PHPBB3 config.php to utilise the new DB credentials. I haven't had the same luck with the Coppermine gallery.

I've spent a bit of time on it this evening, and am quickly losing interest. I am getting the 500 error, and I'm no :NERD: so don't understand it fully. I do have a basic understanding though, as I've configured it successfully a few times......
Please see the first announcement, point 2b.
So are you saying that I should change all the permissions BACK to 705 or so?
That'll probably work (for directories, for files it should be 604). At the minimum you should not have group or world write permissions set on anything. Not necessary and a security hole to boot (they would allow anyone else in your group or any one else on the server to write to those files and dirs - not the best situation in the world).

Andrew

austdata

Post by austdata » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:22 am

SysAdmin wrote:
leigh308 wrote:I suspect that the issue is that the address is temporary.home.exetel.com.au/websitename but you can apparently only create home.exetel.com.au/websitename unless wysiwyg is not true.
I think if the server demands temporary as a prefix and the form only allows the original we're screwed for the moment...it will always return creation failed. Not exactly the cleverest if this is the case..
In all honesty I wish I knew what you just said so that I could give a proper reply. :) Could you please clarify?
G'day Andrew,
I think he means that he cannot create web site account in temporary.home.exetel.com.au but he can in home.exetel.com.au. I think the wysiwyg is just referring to "what he got", an error. I think. Damn, I'm beginning to feel like my father, I can't speak teenager!!! :oops:

This is what happens to me:

Code: Select all

C:\Documents and Settings\Authority>ftp temproary.home.exetel.com.au
Unknown host temproary.home.exetel.com.au.
ftp>

C:\Documents and Settings\Authority>tracert temproary.home.exetel.com.au
Unable to resolve target system name temproary.home.exetel.com.au.

C:\Documents and Settings\Authority>
C:\Documents and Settings\Authority>tracert home.exetel.com.au

Tracing route to oh.exetel.com.au [220.233.0.13]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.254
  2    29 ms    28 ms    26 ms  209.2.96.58.exetel.com.au [58.96.2.209]
  3    40 ms    39 ms    39 ms  1.2.96.58.exetel.com.au [58.96.2.1]
  4    40 ms    40 ms    40 ms  oh.exetel.com.au [220.233.0.13]

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\Authority>
Cheers,

Mike
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:23 am

austdata wrote:
SysAdmin wrote:
leigh308 wrote:I suspect that the issue is that the address is temporary.home.exetel.com.au/websitename but you can apparently only create home.exetel.com.au/websitename unless wysiwyg is not true.
I think if the server demands temporary as a prefix and the form only allows the original we're screwed for the moment...it will always return creation failed. Not exactly the cleverest if this is the case..
In all honesty I wish I knew what you just said so that I could give a proper reply. :) Could you please clarify?
I think he means that he cannot create web site account in temporary.home.exetel.com.au but he can in home.exetel.com.au. I think the wysiwyg is just referring to "what he got", an error. I think. Damn, I'm beginning to feel like my father, I can't speak teenager!!! :oops:
This is the beginning of the slippery slope to sitting on your lawn and waving a wooden stick at the youngins whilst uttering grumpy requests for their self-removal. ;)
This is what happens to me:

Code: Select all

C:\Documents and Settings\Authority>ftp temproary.home.exetel.com.au
Unknown host temproary.home.exetel.com.au.
As it should be considering the spelling of temporary. :)

Andrew

Hixy

Post by Hixy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:00 am

I have created my new webspace, received the email detailing the FTP stuff. Have just tried to login to the FTP site and I am getting an error 530. Incorrect password.

Requested a new password, tried that and still getting the error. Grateful for an explanation.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:56 pm

Hixy wrote:I have created my new webspace, received the email detailing the FTP stuff. Have just tried to login to the FTP site and I am getting an error 530. Incorrect password.

Requested a new password, tried that and still getting the error. Grateful for an explanation.
Can you PM me with your service number, website name and the user name (that you are using with FTP)?

Andrew

ttac

Post by ttac » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:46 pm

"your MySQL username and dbname shall follow a pattern of fwdbunumber and fwdbdnumber respectively (eg: fwdbu10 and fwdbd10)."

Hi,

I am unsure what this means exactly.
Previously I would log onto my database on phpMyadmin using "USER+tel. no" and provide my p/w.
How do I access it now? The above makes no sense to me.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:54 pm

ttac wrote:"your MySQL username and dbname shall follow a pattern of fwdbunumber and fwdbdnumber respectively (eg: fwdbu10 and fwdbd10)."

I am unsure what this means exactly.
Previously I would log onto my database on phpMyadmin using "USER+tel. no" and provide my p/w.
How do I access it now? The above makes no sense to me.
When you request DB access on the new server you'll be given a username and password that match the above pattern. I think it'll make sense at that time. :)

Andrew

ttac

Post by ttac » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:57 pm

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply, but I can't find anywhere on the Exetel User facilities to create a new database. I have found how to create new webspace, but there isn't one for databases.

Cheers

ttac

Post by ttac » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:00 pm

Sorry... found it.

dsm

Post by dsm » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:18 pm

I am not a Power User, but I have managed to set up my web space on the new temporary server. But it is not performingin the way the previous one did. Apart from repeated difficulties in getting an ftp connection, I have managed to upload some image files for distribution to other members of my group. The files are shown as being on the site when I run a listfiles script. However only a few will download via "Save Target As" in my browser. Other group members are having the same problem on the same files. It always seems to be the same files that won't download. Others will. All files were uploaded using the same interface (Windows Explorer ftp) and differ in no discernible way. The browser returns the message "Windows Internet Explorer Internet cannot download <Filename> from temporary.home.exeteLcom.au. Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please Try again later, OK". I never had problems using exactly the same process with the previous server, so I suspect it is something about the present setup. Can you shed any light on what it might be?

Thanks.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:43 pm

dsm wrote:I am not a Power User, but I have managed to set up my web space on the new temporary server. But it is not performingin the way the previous one did. Apart from repeated difficulties in getting an ftp connection, I have managed to upload some image files for distribution to other members of my group. The files are shown as being on the site when I run a listfiles script. However only a few will download via "Save Target As" in my browser. Other group members are having the same problem on the same files. It always seems to be the same files that won't download. Others will. All files were uploaded using the same interface (Windows Explorer ftp) and differ in no discernible way. The browser returns the message "Windows Internet Explorer Internet cannot download <Filename> from temporary.home.exeteLcom.au. Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please Try again later, OK". I never had problems using exactly the same process with the previous server, so I suspect it is something about the present setup. Can you shed any light on what it might be?
If I guessed your websites name correctly, your problem is that your php script is broken. The breakage is being triggered by spaces in some of the filenames on your site. Either have your php script put the filename/link to the filename in quotes when creating the <a> tag, properly URL-encode the filename/link you're making in the <a> tag or, alternatively, remove all spaces from your filenames.

Andrew

dsm

Post by dsm » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:04 pm

SysAdmin wrote:If I guessed your websites name correctly, your problem is that your php script is broken. The breakage is being triggered by spaces in some of the filenames on your site. Either have your php script put the filename/link to the filename in quotes when creating the <a> tag, properly URL-encode the filename/link you're making in the <a> tag or, alternatively, remove all spaces from your filenames.

Andrew
Fantastic. That's it. Thanks very much Andrew. All I have to do now is work out how to implement your changes in the php. I'll see how I go.