New home.exetel.com.au server now available for use

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
austdata

Re: New home.exetel.com.au server now available for use

Post by austdata » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:50 am

SysAdmin wrote:
austdata wrote:I think he means that he cannot create web site account in temporary.home.exetel.com.au but he can in home.exetel.com.au. I think the wysiwyg is just referring to "what he got", an error. I think. Damn, I'm beginning to feel like my father, I can't speak teenager!!! :oops:
This is the beginning of the slippery slope to sitting on your lawn and waving a wooden stick at the youngins whilst uttering grumpy requests for their self-removal. ;)
This is what happens to me:

Code: Select all

C:\Documents and Settings\Authority>ftp temproary.home.exetel.com.au
Unknown host temproary.home.exetel.com.au.
As it should be considering the spelling of temporary. :)

Andrew
Thought I did a straight copy and paste. That will be why it didn't work for me then. :oops:

Mike
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

Hixy

Post by Hixy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:55 am

Andrew,

Found my problem. I was trying to upload to home.exetel.com.au and should have been using temporary.home.exetel.com.au - very confusing email instruction.

Anyway, it now works. I have another question. After these two weeks of everybody beavering away moving/creating new websites on the "Temporary" server will the move from temporary to home be done by you. And, will we have to change our FTP accounts back to the old logon which we use for home.exetel.com.au ?

Thanks

AmbroseChapel

Post by AmbroseChapel » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:36 am

Now that the subject has come up, can I ask, yet again, why we can't run Perl scripts on the web servers?

I've never really got an answer which said why.

PHP's OK for some things, but when you know Perl it's no fun to be forced to write in PHP.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:58 am

Hixy wrote:Found my problem. I was trying to upload to home.exetel.com.au and should have been using temporary.home.exetel.com.au - very confusing email instruction.
I apologise for that. I realised it had the potential to be confusing but I think that was more due to the nature of the beast then anything else. No matter what would be written it would wind up confusing someone. :/
Anyway, it now works. I have another question. After these two weeks of everybody beavering away moving/creating new websites on the "Temporary" server will the move from temporary to home be done by you. And, will we have to change our FTP accounts back to the old logon which we use for home.exetel.com.au ?
You'll only need to change the hostname back to home.exetel.com.au; all else will stay the same.

Andrew

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:01 am

AmbroseChapel wrote:Now that the subject has come up, can I ask, yet again, why we can't run Perl scripts on the web servers?
It's something I'm considering (due to loosening up the restrictins on PHP a bit), actually. Main thing that's prompting my hesitation is the amount of power it would provide to one and all.
PHP's OK for some things, but when you know Perl it's no fun to be forced to write in PHP.
Yes, this is quite true. :cry:

Andrew

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:05 am

austdata wrote:
SysAdmin wrote:
austdata wrote:This is what happens to me:

Code: Select all

C:\Documents and Settings\Authority>ftp temproary.home.exetel.com.au
Unknown host temproary.home.exetel.com.au.
As it should be considering the spelling of temporary. :)
Thought I did a straight copy and paste. That will be why it didn't work for me then. :oops:
You may have. :)

Andrew

austdata

Post by austdata » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:15 pm

SysAdmin wrote:
austdata wrote:Thought I did a straight copy and paste. That will be why it didn't work for me then. :oops:
You may have. :)

Andrew
Ah, well done Andrew. I think between your smarts and my senility we now know why he was having trouble. :mrgreen:

Mike
With apologies to Bart Simpson. :wink:
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

AmbroseChapel

Post by AmbroseChapel » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:26 pm

Main thing that's prompting my hesitation is the amount of power it would provide to one and all.
Well yes, but PHP provides all the power that Perl does, with less of the security. And PHP scripts execute by default, they don't even need to be chmodded.

michaeltas

Post by michaeltas » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:52 pm

Hi,

I thought that I'd followed all the instructions in your messages, but I get a 403 Forbidden message when I try to access http://temporary.home.exetel.com.au

I understood from your messages that that's the server to which I needed to upload my files and the server I needed to use to display my site. Have I misunderstood something?

Regards,

Michael

Edit at 8:27pm: It's okay - I was being particularly dense! I worked out that I needed to access the home page!! :oops:

Michael

RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:28 pm

> Please note that this is a free service.

Actually its not a free service. Its part of what I pay Exetel for!

I've logged in and tried to recreate my existing equivalent of http://home.exetel.com.au/mysite but I like many others who have posted can not. Presumably because it already exists on the old server. I do NOT want to create a different URL for my site post migration.

How can I keep the exact same URL after the migration?

All I want is for my current site to keep working after the change over. I'm willing to upload it myself if I could. I'm an IT Professional and if my staff came to me with proposed migration like this we'd be having a very serious talk. It would have been better, noting Exetel's concerns, to ask people to notify Exetel that they would like their sites migrated to the new service. And give people a month or more to provide that notification.

patara

Post by patara » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:34 pm

SysAdmin wrote:
patara wrote:I applied for my new web space in the same name as my current one and then attempted to transfer the files from my computer to it using the temporary ftp address via IE which is how I have always uploaded my files. But I just keep getting a message that 'the folder is read-only because the proxy server is not set up to allow full access. To move files etc you must use a different proxy.' I'm sorry but I don't understand what that means so would appreciate some help. I have around 83MB to load up as I do digigraphics. I did try setting up a ftp network in My Computer but get the same result. All I see is a page saying FTP root at temporary.home etc. but I cannot drop anything on the page.
Would I be better waiting until the transfer is complete and then upload via IE as I normally do?....Pat
Can you PM me your website details and I'll see if I can spot anything fishy. Your service number would also be great.

Thanks,
Andrew
I resolved the problem Andrew.
I think the proxy server message may have been due to the way I set up the ftp network in My Computer. Once I deleted it and rebooted I was able to connect via IE using the temporary address......Pat

TheToid

Post by TheToid » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:38 pm

It should also be noted too, i had a problem with the Cookie usage when using the two different MyDBAdmins, if you log into one, then logout and dont clear your cookies it wont let you login to the other one, because no matter what you do it will use the original name not the new onr this is fixed by clearing your browser cookies...
TheToid

ercatli

copying DB with phpMyAdmin

Post by ercatli » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:12 pm

Hi, I'm another dummy who needs help please. I've applied for the new webspace, and I used the phpimport file to transfer all my files across (thanks for that, it was dead easy), and it all seems to be there - I can type the revised URL and see it. Great.

I now have to transfer the data across from my database (it is the posts of a forum attached to my site). I can get to the phpMyAdmin Ok, but I find I just don't know enough about that software to choose the right option next. I thought it was probably Import (assuming I was "at" the new empty DB), but it didn't give me anything I felt confident about using.

Has anyone written down anywhere the steps to copy across a DB in the same clear way that the steps for using phpimport were written? I have looked right through but didn't find any.

Thanks.

danielc

Post by danielc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:38 am

Hi ercatli,

First you need to log into your 'old' phpmyadmin (http://mydbadmin.home.exetel.com.au). From here you need to 'export' your old file. In most cases the defaults should be fairly safe, but you probably want to make sure of the following

(a) That you are exporting as SQL format
(b) That you select all the options in the 'Structure' area (except the 'add into comments sub-area).

Then select 'save as file', and make sure you compress it with one of the options given.

At this point you should be prompted to download your exported database file.

To import your database, you now need to log in to the 'new' facility (http://temporary.mydbadmin.home.exetel.com.au) - note that you may need to clear your browser cookies until we fix the issue reported above by TheToid (thanks for your hint, TheToid :) )

From your default page once you log in, select 'import'. Again, here the defaults are fairly sane. I would try importing it once with all the defaults set, if that doesn't work it may be worth trying it with the SQL compatibility mode set to MYSQL40.

Hope that helps :)

Regards,
Daniel C

danielc

Post by danielc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:45 am

RandomUsername wrote:>
I've logged in and tried to recreate my existing equivalent of http://home.exetel.com.au/mysite but I like many others who have posted can not. Presumably because it already exists on the old server. I do NOT want to create a different URL for my site post migration.

How can I keep the exact same URL after the migration?

All I want is for my current site to keep working after the change over. I'm willing to upload it myself if I could. I'm an IT Professional and if my staff came to me with proposed migration like this we'd be having a very serious talk. It would have been better, noting Exetel's concerns, to ask people to notify Exetel that they would like their sites migrated to the new service. And give people a month or more to provide that notification.
As stated in the original post

(a) Any webspace name that is currently in use on home.exetel.com.au is reserved so that only the current 'owner' of said webspace is able to apply for the name on the new (temporary.home) server. If you are having issues here it might be worth telling us specifically what you've tried so that we can try and resolve it for you. Many people have recreated their webspaces on the new server now without issue.

(b) After the process is complete, the current server (home.exetel) will be decomissioned. The 'new' server (currently referred to as temporary.home.exetel) will thenceforth be referred to as home.exetel. Thus all URLs will be identical, providing that you have set up your webspace the same, and that you have applied for the same name on both.

Regards,
Daniel C