New home.exetel.com.au server now live

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
ercatli

Re: New home.exetel.com.au server now live

Post by ercatli » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:20 am

SysAdmin wrote: Please see point 2b.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, but this server changeover is becoming as much a drag for me as it must be for you answering all these questions. You personally have done above and beyond the call of duty in patiently answering questions from so many of us whose understanding isn't up to the task, but like some others, I'm starting to feel that Exetel has fallen from its usual high standards in managing this change, and left us computer bunnies hanging high and dry a little.

I was able to set up all my website two years ago, including a forum and database, but somehow can't make it work now, even after 4 or 5 posts here.

I have read point 2b (there are actually two points 2b, so I missed the second one for a while). Every one of my php files is now 705, and I have tried to open the forum with all files set at 705, and again with directories set at 707, but no matter what I do, I still get the same error message. It's quite possible I haven't set my new DB details correctly (though I think I have got that right), but I surely should still get a blank forum.

Any further ideas please?

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:07 pm

ercatli wrote:I have read point 2b (there are actually two points 2b, so I missed the second one for a while).
Ooops! Failed to notice that. That said, by happy coincidence, they both apply. :)
Every one of my php files is now 705, and I have tried to open the forum with all files set at 705,
604 is better for the files, but 705 will do.
and again with directories set at 707, but no matter what I do, I still get the same error message.
This is quite probably where your problem lies. 707 means that you've given the world the right to modify the contents of that directory. That being the case the security settings on the new server are such that they assume your scripts have been compromised and refuse to execute them. The optimal directory permissions are 701, though 705 is good enough (and in some rare cases preferred).

I had a bookmark to a better tutorial (simpler but just as useful) but I can't find it now (it's on a pc somewhere). I had a quick look on the net, though, and located this tutorial which on first skim looks like it would be of use (though it is a tad on the verbose side and includes some things you don't need to care about). You might want to give it a look anyway.
It's quite possible I haven't set my new DB details correctly (though I think I have got that right), but I surely should still get a blank forum.

Any further ideas please?
Hope the above helps. If not PM me with your website details and I'll give it a better look.

Andrew

fubar69

Post by fubar69 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:01 pm

Still getting error 403

I setup my new web space through the exetel website. uploaded some files there with FTP and cant view the files with my browser.

I can see the files with the ftp software at both http://home.exetel.com.au/webspacename/dir/ and http://temporary.home.exetel.com.au/webspacename/dir/

however I am unable to access the files with my firefox browser at either address. Previous to the changes it was working fine.

Please provide any info that may help.

thank you.

ercatli

Post by ercatli » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:43 am

Andrew,

I'm sorry to have to keep coming back to you, and I appreciate your patience. From your last post, I think this may not be a permissions problem. You have said that 705 is OK for everything (php files, directories, etc), and I tried that - when I said "I have tried to open the forum with all files set at 705" I meant all forum files and directories. So if it was a permissions problem it should have worked then. I have now restored all files in the forum subdirectory to 705, and still I get the error message.

I have googled that particular error, and it seems like it's a fairly generic error message, so perhaps it is indicating something else. Could it be a .htaccess file? It is probably something stupid on my part, something I have omitted or read incorrectly, but I'd appreciate you having a closer look thanks. I will PM you the details.

greedy

Post by greedy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:38 am

Sysadmin,

My website has a subdirectory, permission 701, containing "index.php", currently at 604. I have tried 705 and 755, as well every other combination that seems sensible. Whatever permission I set, when the link is selected from the home page the browser returns "You don't have permission to access /---/---/index.php on this server". I am using gftp for uploading. What should I be doing?

Katy

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:05 am

greedy wrote:My website has a subdirectory, permission 701, containing "index.php", currently at 604. I have tried 705 and 755, as well every other combination that seems sensible. Whatever permission I set, when the link is selected from the home page the browser returns "You don't have permission to access /---/---/index.php on this server". I am using gftp for uploading. What should I be doing?
I don't know. I can't tell you what may be wrong with your site as you've not provided me with any of the information requested in the red block of text in the first post.

Andrew

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:22 am

fubar69 wrote:Still getting error 403
Please provide any info that may help.
I can't tell you what may be wrong with your site as you've not provided me with any of the information requested in the red block of text in the first post.

Andrew

greedy

Post by greedy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:34 am

SysAdmin

I have PM'd my details. The code is some stuff my father wrote that I have modified. I thought I had followed point 2b to the letter, but I uploaded the php file again. It has permission -rw------- on my machine before copying. That didn't work, so I tried changing the web space file to other permissions using gftp. It still doesn't work. What is wrong?

Katy

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:55 am

greedy wrote:SysAdmin

I have PM'd my details. The code is some stuff my father wrote that I have modified. I thought I had followed point 2b to the letter, but I uploaded the php file again. It has permission -rw------- on my machine before copying. That didn't work, so I tried changing the web space file to other permissions using gftp. It still doesn't work. What is wrong?
It's a permissions issue. I've replied to your PM already.

Andrew

sprucas

Post by sprucas » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:22 pm

is the old web server and mysql db still available for me to transfer my site over??

lingg

Post by lingg » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:08 pm

sprucas wrote:is the old web server and mysql db still available for me to transfer my site over??
# The old server will still be available for 2 weeks (until Monday 6/10/2008) in case anyone still needs to copy data off of it.
# The old server is available via old.home.exetel.com.au for your websites and ftp connections and https://old.mydbadmin.home.exetel.com.au/ for the MySQL interface.

warramoos

Post by warramoos » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:47 pm

Hi, Have just uploaded my information onto the new server, as per it was on the older server, and I get the following error when I try to view my webpage.

403 Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /classicspaceport/ on this server.
Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8c Server at home.exetel.com.au Port 80

Its probably user error on my part as I'm very new to all this - but was wondering if anyone else can access it,and if not - any ideas?

http://home.exetel.com.au/classicspaceport

thanks in advance

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:33 pm

Warrimoos, I imagine you have been caught by the same trap that a number of other posters here have encountered. Ensure that your files on Exetel's server have the correct Unix permissions, which were stated at http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=221&t=28399 (point 2b), as (in octal) 705.

If this is all Greek to you, use the chmod/permissions command of your GUI ftp client to set your file permissions as:
Owner(or User)=read, write, execute ON; Group=all settings OFF; Others=read,execute ON.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:39 pm

warramoos wrote:Hi, Have just uploaded my information onto the new server, as per it was on the older server, and I get the following error when I try to view my webpage.

403 Forbidden

Fixed.

Andrew

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:44 pm

Andrew, I have found the issue with nautilus. Some versions can have permission difficulties with the delete part of a file overwrite. It also lacks a proper chmod command. I haven't tried the absolute latest version, but I am told it is fixed.