New home webserver, transferring SQL database for forum...

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
benthomas

New home webserver, transferring SQL database for forum...

Post by benthomas » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:27 pm

Hi all,

I need some help. A little while ago I setup a Simple Machines Forum on my Exetel web space for me and my mates to use. I got it up and running fine following the setup instructions. Now since there's a new webserver, it's gone all haywire.

I've copies all the files sitting in my web space over to the new server but I've no idea how to transfer the database over. I'm not experienced at all with SQL DB's although I have solid IT knowledge. To be honest, I can't even remember the name of the DB or login details for the old one. If I do manage to transfer the SQL from old server to new, is it just going to work with the forum files I've transferred or do I have to reconfigure one of the forum files to point to the new DB?

Please help, the downtime is killing workplace banter with my mates!!!

Thanks.

Oh - PS, if anyone Exetel is going to help my ADSL2 no is 0396630085

Thanks.

SysAdmin

Re: New home webserver, transferring SQL database for forum...

Post by SysAdmin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:39 pm

benthomas wrote:I've copies all the files sitting in my web space over to the new server but I've no idea how to transfer the database over.
This post by TheToid may be of help.
To be honest, I can't even remember the name of the DB or login details for the old one.
Check the config file for your forum. It has to have them.
If I do manage to transfer the SQL from old server to new, is it just going to work with the forum files I've transferred or do I have to reconfigure one of the forum files to point to the new DB?
You will need to change your forums config so that it uses the new db details at the minimum.

Andrew