Basic Instructions to get your Webspace working

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
Beaglyman

Basic Instructions to get your Webspace working

Post by Beaglyman » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:10 pm

G'day all

I thought I would write a basic guide for all of you out there that are unable to get their webspace (now old webspace) working again. Personally I have wasted over 6 (SIX!!!) hours trying to do this. Emailed/tickets/technical support has simply sent me links to this forum without answering my questions, so I decided I would help some others work out how to get their files accessible again.

1. Rediscover the old website name you used to have. (PS. do not worry like I did that you may be deleting the old one, believe me it is not gone, and you cannot delete it this way!

2. Get your old files. They do exist and you can get them by following these instructions. Using Internet Exporer / Windows Explorer

ftp://ServiceNumberOfYourADSL:password@ ... tel.com.au
Eg.
ftp://0204513355:oldsmartpassword@old.h ... tel.com.au

Copy either line and insert the correct info and place into Internet explorer. then follow the instructions to get it into Windows Explorer

3. Select all of the files and copy them to your hard drive.

3. Create a new site that has the same (old) name. Mine was beagly, if you change the name then the forum pics you have linked to it will not work. Anyway go here and create your account.
https://www.exetel.com.au/login/

Click on the link that lets you create your webspace.

The page that is then displayed seems to be wrong and gave me lots of frustration. (Eg. fw_YOUR-SITENAME instruction drove me nuts)
Instead go here
https://www.exetel.com.au/members/ftp_web_space.php

Follow these instructions and all will be good.

I was then able to access my "new" webspace and copy my old files onto it
How to do this
Cut and paste the line below into Internet Explorer
ftp://ServiceNumberOfYourADSL:newpasswo ... tel.com.au
then follow the instructions to get into Windows Explorer
and then paste your files into the new space.

NB. If for some reason you stuff up the password to your webspace (Going from Internet Explorer into Windows Explorer), simply delete "Saved Passwords" in Internet Exporer and it will ask you again for the password and this time carefully cut and paste it into position.

Good luck and please ask the questions here, because if you ask them via email you will just be directed here anyway.

cya
Matthew

SysAdmin

Re: Basic Instructions to get your Webspace working

Post by SysAdmin » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:27 pm

Beaglyman wrote:The page that is then displayed seems to be wrong and gave me lots of frustration. (Eg. fw_YOUR-SITENAME instruction drove me nuts)
They come prefilled with your sites details if you've already requested one. If not then we use something generic.
Go there only if you want details of how to connect to the old server.
Cut and paste the line below into Internet Explorer
ftp://ServiceNumberOfYourADSL:newpasswo ... tel.com.au
That wont work on the new server. You cannot use the service number as a login name on the new server.
Good luck and please ask the questions here, because if you ask them via email you will just be directed here anyway.
Thanks for the write-up. Apart from the mistakes above it seems good.

Andrew

cooky5

Post by cooky5 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:04 am

Hi all,

Pretty new here so excuse my ignorance / stupidity. I have just received a message from exetel stating that my webspace is now available to access but when it try to I get the following message

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /australis/ on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8c Server at home.exetel.com.au Port 80

Can anyone help me with this???

Looking froward to hearing from anyone (i think)

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:31 am

CookyS, unless SysAdmin looks at your site via the back door for you, we will need more information.
Firstly, have you actually moved your files to a new account on the new server? If you have done so, there have been many recent threads with issues like yours, eg, http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=221&t=29066 (That poster turned out to have a file name problem)

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:50 am

cooky5 wrote:Pretty new here so excuse my ignorance / stupidity. I have just received a message from exetel stating that my webspace is now available to access but when it try to I get the following message

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /australis/ on this server.
You've not uploaded a website as yet. :)

Andrew

redmick

Post by redmick » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:20 pm

I have uploaded mine but it stopped working i have even put this page into the root directory.
I have no idea what changed it was working last night until i ran out of disk space?
http://home.exetel.com.au/goof/jphotogallery.htm

JamesR

Post by JamesR » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:53 pm

SysAdmin wrote:
I see the page at https://www.exetel.com.au/members/ftp_l ... etails.php displays your details from the old server in full (including showing your password). Is there a secure page or popup box available where you can view your credentials for the new server?

Also, how long is the old server up for? I have a client who is in a bit of a dilemma (recently relocated, has not copied files across and has forgotten password - this is being dealt with by Daniel C, but if anyone can fix this faster over the weekend from Exetel, please let me know) and don't really want to lose the files until I have access to copy the files off the old server...

Thanks.
Last edited by JamesR on Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:53 pm

I can see your page, but not the pictures. Have you noticed the path names in the links to the images, eg http://home.exetel.com.au/goof/goof/mispho.htm Is that intended? Aso, check the pathnames to your link images.
Last edited by Dazzled on Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redmick

Post by redmick » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:56 pm

No that not intended but i just cant see the page to continue rebuilding i have removed all photos and am going to reduce them so i dont fill up again.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:31 am

JamesR wrote:
SysAdmin wrote:
I see the page at https://www.exetel.com.au/members/ftp_l ... etails.php displays your details from the old server in full (including showing your password). Is there a secure page or popup box available where you can view your credentials for the new server?
Erm. That's available on the free web config page...
Also, how long is the old server up for?
There is no guaranteed uptime remaining any more. It'll be up until we need it for another task, and then it shall be re-used. I would recommend getting files off of it ASAP.

Andrew

rossj

Post by rossj » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:22 pm

Help
I cant get my old web site up at all?
Didn't we have to somehow put a file in the website online and call it htm or something to get it to work?
my old site was http://home.exetel.com.au/rossjohnson
I cant upload to it as it says it is forbidden?
can you help

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:54 pm

The instructions to upload to the new server are here: https://www.exetel.com.au/members/ftp_configure.php You get there from the members' facilities, Web/Blog setup. You have a new ftp login name and password. Make your life simple and don't use IE; use a proper ftp client.

The lowest level html source file copied to your space should be called "index.html" (note the spelling, this server runs Linux).

When you have copied your file(s) use your ftp client to set or chmod their permissions (more Linux). A value of 705 (= User: r,w,x Others r,x) works.