Ongoing FTP Problems to home.exetel.com.au

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
michaeljh

Ongoing FTP Problems to home.exetel.com.au

Post by michaeljh » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:40 pm

Same problem is occuring again see http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=221&t=28942

Only way I can get it working again is to change my IP Address. This has only started happening since transferring to the new server, the old server worked day in day out without any problems. Doesn't matter how long I leave FTP off for to home.exetel.com.au it doesn't start to work again until I get a new IP.....any chance of resolving this permenantly?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Ongoing FTP Problems to home.exetel.com.au

Post by Dazzled » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:11 pm

I think you'll find it's a different issue. I was logged in for part of the afternoon, no problems, and now I can't even get a response from the Linux terminal. I haven't changed any addresses.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:30 pm

It ok now.

{postscript} Sysadmin, What is the max clients per host? Is the server being hammered by multiple connections from common software?

michaeljh

Post by michaeljh » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:01 pm

Nope, It's definitely the same issue...works again as soon as I request a different IP Address......problem is you only get 30 new IP's requests before they start charging

michaeljh

Post by michaeljh » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:04 pm

I think there server isn't disonnecting ftp sessions properly, apparently last time I'd maxed out the number of FTP sessions, yet I hadn't had any open for 48 hours.......Andrew reset something on the server to clear them and I could reconnect again but a couple of days later I had the same problem.....Changed IP and it worked again for a few days then stopped, changed IP again and it was ok again but I'm guessing only for a day or so

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:26 pm

Could you set your ftp clients to not make multiple connections, before you start logging on. There is no need - one transfer at a time works well. All it achieves is overloading the server. When you change IP address the server thinks it has a new host, and deals with it, if it can.

I just made a single connection successfully at the command line. It is ok now.

michaeljh

Post by michaeljh » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:50 pm

It's only making at most 2 connections at any one time, problem is they don't seem to be closing properly eg the server thinks they are still open when they haven't been open for over 48 hours in one example. Over time the server thinks there are more and more connections open when in fact they have been closed, eventually a limit is hit and the server accepts no more connection from what ever IP i have so changing it starts the process again.

Software on my end hasn't changed and this problem has only started happening since the change to the new hosting server, I need 2 connections because one updates a 600 byte file approx every 10 seconds, the second connection updates a few larger files(approx 50kb) every 15 - 30 minutes. Like I've said several times everything was working ok before the change over to the new server

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:04 pm

It is a completely new Linux ftp server set up. The rules for users have changed. Whether or not there are multiple connection or dropping issues at the moment, or whether Sysadmin ought to change something, I have been able to upload megabytes today on more than one website without dramas, and I have all my clients, including the file manager, set to one connection, one transfer at a time. I use Linux for jobs like this, as you have guessed, where ftp is essentially built in, because it drama free. This issue has been raised before, and the Windows user involved successfully reconfigured his ftp client. If you can't reconfigure your Windows client, try running a client on a lightweight Linux bootable live cd.

michaeljh

Post by michaeljh » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:16 pm

Can't do either, the ftp client is built into the weather station software

Just need it to work like it used to, never had any problems with this on the old server or when I was with Optus

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:25 pm

Now you tell us! I suspect an instrument constantly feeding the website from an application not written by the user was not envisaged by Sysadmin, when he configured the new server. I think you'll have to wait for his comment.

michaeljh

Post by michaeljh » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:30 pm

hmmm, I did say I was uploading a 600 byte file every 10 seconds......I too can manually upload MB's (well at least while I'm not block) but as I said previous I suspect the server isn't releasing the sessions properly, might be caching them and because there's 1 every 10 seconds or so it's getting confused

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:27 am

michaeljh wrote:hmmm, I did say I was uploading a 600 byte file every 10 seconds......I too can manually upload MB's (well at least while I'm not block) but as I said previous I suspect the server isn't releasing the sessions properly, might be caching them and because there's 1 every 10 seconds or so it's getting confused
Not really. It is configured to not permit that many connections per minute, mainly so as to make it harder for those with ill intent to go password fishing. This would be why you're the only one (that I know of) having any issues. Your usage is... unusual. Is FTP the only manner in which it can upload files?

Andrew

michaeljh

Post by michaeljh » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:46 am

It seems to work ok though for 2-3 days when I get a new IP, it doesn't get block after a few minutes of these connections.

How many connections per minute will it accept without blocking?

What ways other than FTP does the server support for uploading files?

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:51 am

michaeljh wrote:It seems to work ok though for 2-3 days when I get a new IP, it doesn't get block after a few minutes of these connections.

How many connections per minute will it accept without blocking?
3 is safe.
What ways other than FTP does the server support for uploading files?
None that we've set up but if your upload software is flexible enough you could use a php script with http authentication to upload.

Andrew

michaeljh

Post by michaeljh » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:17 am

ok thanks, I'll change it to once every 20 seconds and see how it goes